Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-23-2013, 9:47 PM

Default Side charging AR15 upper?

I am in the process of building my first AR and I am not a fan of the charging handle on normal ARs and looking into going with a side charging upper. I could imagine that they would have to use proprietary bolt assemblies but if there is one that doesn't need one that would be great due to the fact that I want to go with the JP Low Mass Bolt Carrier. If not I assumed as much and open to ideas on what works best from what people have experienced and tested. I am also concerned on if the barrels would be proprietary as well because I want to go with a JP barrel. Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

I currently own a JP PSC-11 upper based carbine and have owned the American Spirit Arms side charger. They use a standard bolt carrier that has a little notch milled into it for the side charging handle to work. You can use the side charger bolt in any AR. So it is NOT proprietary.

All other parts...barrel,bolt,lower,etc., are all standard parts. I personally like the JP setup better then the ASA model.

Take care,Stan

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM

I have a LAR OPS-4 with a left side charger.
It comes with a BCG with the charging handle on the left side.
But it is like any other BCG. In fact I'm going to use an osprey piston kit and it comes with it's own BCG.
All I have to do is have the osprey BCG drilled and tapped for the charging handle.
So you could use the JP BCG and barrel if you wish to do so.

One other thing is some people have actually milled out slick side upper receivers and drilled any BCG to make their own side charging upper.

I plan to do that with my .308 build. Have everything except the BCG. Those are so hard to find right now at a reasonable price, it's crazy.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

From what I understood .. drilling the BCG isn't that easy.. I'd like to mill out my upper and do a side charger for my pistol build.. I did like the side charger that didn't move.. with the BCG notched... seemed like it might be a little safer..
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
From what I understood .. drilling the BCG isn't that easy.. I'd like to mill out my upper and do a side charger for my pistol build.. I did like the side charger that didn't move.. with the BCG notched... seemed like it might be a little safer..
It's not easy to drill a BCG, but any good machinist should be able to do it. Just have to have the right bits.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Addax tactical makes some of the best side charging uppers out there. You could get them to use a JP barrel, WOA barrel, or whatever brand you'd want I would imagine. Talk to chris down there and he'll set you up.
Old 01-24-2013, 7:31 AM

Addax above is a good choice, they use the ASA side chargers unless I'm mistaken. I've got the ASA and love it, good quaility and customer service.

As to the BCG, ASA have BCG's with the cut in them or you can send them your lightened, NIB'd, or whatever, carrier and they'll cut it for you for a fee ($30 I think?). I've done this as well and gotten a really quick turnaround.
Old 01-24-2013, 7:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am about to assemble a flat top 6.8 and am looking at drilling bcg and milling upper for side charging handle. anyone have diagram or plans for how the slot looks in the bcg. Have mill with x/y/z readout and power feeds. Lots of tooling. Waiting for some 80% lowers to arrive.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I am about to assemble a flat top 6.8 and am looking at drilling bcg and milling upper for side charging handle. anyone have diagram or plans for how the slot looks in the bcg. Have mill with x/y/z readout and power feeds. Lots of tooling. Waiting for some 80% lowers to arrive.
I don't think there is a diagram out there.

But maybe hit this guy up. He did it.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=32&t=379646

another one:
http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-4...ing-upper.html
Old 01-24-2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weespeed View Post
I don't think there is a diagram out there.

But maybe hit this guy up. He did it.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=32&t=379646

another one:
http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-4...ing-upper.html
NICE!
Old 01-24-2013, 6:26 PM

The Adcor BEAR piston AR has and ambi side charging handle built in. I was reading the review of it today in American Rifleman, and according to them its in the 2nd phase of Army testing for adoption as the standard carbine.
Old 01-24-2013, 6:53 PM

You live in ,Pasedena,Check out Chris at Addaxx Tactical .I bought my upper a couple of years ago.A 16"heavy flutted barrell, gas Piston Full lenght handgaurd with ASA side charging handle flat top upper.Shoots great.He will help build what ever you want and gurantee the work.