Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Default Keeping it close or far away. How safe is your stash?

Here is something to think about.

When you prep, Do you keep it close by or do you keep it somewhere else?

I ask this because Talking with a friend of mine in So. Cal. Heard about this.

During the manhunt for the cop killer, A team was searching the local hills for his hideout. During the hunt, They (LEOs) Found a prepper's stash. The Leos took everything, Down to the last package of Ramen Noodles and arested the land owner. ( So the story goes ).

My point here is NOT to fault the LEOs or the reasion why they took everything, nor the reasion for the arest of the land owner.

The question here is, and will be.... How safe is your stash of supplies? And how will you know if you got robbed or not. Running back and forth to your stash does draw eyeballs and people that want what you have.

I have had my stash stolen before. All of my time and momey was gone in one night. I thought it was safe. So, I now tend to keep my stash close by. Where I can keep an eye on it.

So, with that being said, I will ask all of you, Do you keep your stash close by or do you keep far away ?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

if the stash has nothing to do with Dorner it should be returned but then again it will be returned.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

On what charges was this alleged arrest of the land owner about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy-d View Post
During the manhunt for the cop killer, A team was searching the local hills for his hideout. During the hunt, They (LEOs) Found a prepper's stash. The Leos took everything, Down to the last package of Ramen Noodles and arested the land owner. ( So the story goes ).

My point here is NOT to fault the LEOs or the reasion why they took everything, nor the reasion for the arest of the land owner.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM

A dinner says that it will NOT be returned.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
A dinner says that it will NOT be returned.
of course it won't. why make a bet that we know the outcome.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM

Didn't say.

The only thing I can think of, would be that the prepper stash wasn't hidden well enough, and the LEOs felt that the stash was not secure...

And during the removal, they found something... Could be a banned weapon like a Colt AR15 of the 80s.
Old 02-17-2013, 1:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Didn't say.

The only thing I can think of, would be that the prepper stash wasn't hidden well enough, and the LEOs felt that the stash was not secure...

And during the removal, they found something... Could be a banned weapon like a Colt AR15 of the 80s.
and as usual the assumption the weapon was ilegal with no proof what so ever. i bet if there was an AR it wasn't turned in it majicly disappeared to someones house.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-17-2013, 1:12 PM

But of course... Everything is ilegal untill proven otherwise.

Tis the LAW of the land......
Old 02-17-2013, 1:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

When a friend was kidnapped/murdered 20 years ago and the community did a major SAR for her body. Many encampments and meth labs were discovered in the mountains, the FBI flew at night with FLIR looking for heat signatures. You would be surprised what is out there in the hills.
Old 02-17-2013, 1:43 PM

They can' t confiscate your stash unless there is something illegal, like illegal weapon configuration or like assembled magazines with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds or probably possession of stolen firearms. Just my thought.
Old 02-17-2013, 1:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN View Post
They can' t confiscate your stash unless there is something illegal, like illegal weapon configuration or like assembled magazines with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds
Woooo there. Regular capacity magazines over 10 rounds, assembled, are not prima facie illegal. I have plenty of those right now, of course I owned them before the 2000 ban.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 02-17-2013, 2:28 PM

Sucks for that guy. If my stash was stolen I would be pissed. Now back to the OP question.....

Stash is kept close by. I have 2 of everything in my preps, so 1/2 in one part of the 1/2 in an opposite end. I figure an earthquake is the most likeliest scenario, so I'm hedging my bets that only half of the house will collapse
Old 02-17-2013, 3:32 PM

Dual prep? What a great idea. 2 Stashes... If one is lost, the other is a fallback. Like working 2 jobs. You can't get fired from both jobs at the same time.
Old 02-17-2013, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

my stash is safe as hell. so safe the only way to get it is to scuba dive to the bottom of a lake to get it.

i usually keep it various stashes around not to big, but not too small to be useless. just enough for 3 days water, if rationed i can go 6 days. food for 4 meals, if i rationed it i would be able to eat quite a bit. the food is high in calories, minerals, vitamins, salts. and i have other stuff as well.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 02-17-2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Dual prep? What a great idea. 2 Stashes... If one is lost, the other is a fallback. Like working 2 jobs. You can't get fired from both jobs at the same time.
This. You should always have contingencies. Nothing ever goes exactly as planned.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM

The rule of 3.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 02-18-2013, 8:01 PM

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer. Same goes for your preps. I have most of my preps scattered around my home. I live in suburban LA (San Gabriel Valley) and depending on the SHTF scenario, we will not be able to bug out. We have another stash of supplies that is much smaller a good distance away.
Old 02-19-2013, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
On what charges was this alleged arrest of the land owner about?
Watching the news of all those folks on Highway 38 being searched at gun point made me cringe...it had only been a little over a week since Torrance. I'm amazed that there were no more accidental/intentional/justified/unintentional shootings.

So back to your question. I'd bet there were no charges and there won't be. The local Sheriff seemed to think things were under Marshall Law or whatever.
Old 02-20-2013, 2:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not to go off topic... ok kinda off topic... in a way... ok yeah... off topic... sorry OP.

So people were searched at gunpoint without warrant in the manhunt.
I'm guessing most of these home/land owners let the cops in without any issues since most people don't know their rights. I have NOTHING illegal in my house, but I don't want it searched none-the-less.

How does that work from a legal perspective? I mean, you shouldn't have to let them in without a warrant... but does a manhunt somehow supersede the illegal search without a warrant?
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 02-20-2013, 3:07 PM

If they can show exigent circumstances involving public safety they can.
Old 02-20-2013, 3:43 PM
Resident Pork Rind Expert
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I prefer to keep my stash right under my nose.

Seriously, I keep many of my preparations around the house, but I'm on a large rural property, and some of it is hidden in various places on the property, the reason being that if the house were to become inaccessible, I wouldn't be cut off from ALL of my supplies.

Last edited by Born To Glock; 02-20-2013 at 4:57 PM..