Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2013, 3:30 AM
GM4spd's Avatar
GM4spd GM4spd is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 4,060
iTrader: 82 / 100%
Default Another good experience at Turners

this time in Oxnard.Had never been there before as it is relatively new but
is very convenient for me in Ventura County. Went in to see about putting
down a deposit on a ATI STG 44 in 22LR.After getting my number--lo and
behold there is ONE staring me right in the face,I hadn't noticed it initially because it was beside a pink 22 long gun!I was very happy because
it had a nice DARK walnut stock which I prefer over the lighter colors.
Handled it and it is HEAVY but looks very nice as a replica and does shoot
22 ammo. Did my paperwork with nice young lady and will pick up in 10 days
it was a long wait (1 hour) as there were only 2 people behind the counter.
Pete
__________________
NRA LIFE (1974)
No,my Colt ARs came already assembled---correctly!
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Veteran.
The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2013, 9:29 PM
ham's Avatar
ham ham is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Nice! those stg-44's look freakin sweet. recommend using atleast 40 grain .22 for blowback relilability. had a customer suggest the CCI Tactical & Blazer bulk packs worked best.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history...an invention that has been both praised and denounced...served hero and villain alike...and carries with it moral responsibility. To better understand the gun is to better understand history."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2013, 6:37 AM
jsolor7 jsolor7 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 44
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Original Stg 44 shot a shortenend 8mm Mauser round. Why anybody would make this in a 22lr is beyond me. How about .308?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Josh3239's Avatar
Josh3239 Josh3239 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 8,813
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

The original STG was not a true 8mm Mauser. That is a full power rifle round, the Germans could the round down making the first intermediate cartridge, the 8mm Kurtz.

I would assume a .22LR rifle is a lot less of a headache (and probably cheaper) overall to produce (in Europe), to sell (worldwide), and import into the US. .22LR is an extremely common round and cheap to shoot, it is a round anyone of any age could really shot. Any store that sells ammo sells .22LR. The 8mm Kurtz is not common at all, and few other rifles if any shoot it. That would be like making a new rifle in .303 Brit or 30-40 Krag. Ya you can do it, but why use a practically dead round?

There was a company that made 5.56mm STGs. Those were cool, but too pricey. There was a company making an FG42, I think in 308. BA, but still too pricey.
__________________
Proud NRA Life Member As Of 2016


"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened." Norman Thomas, American socialist
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2013, 1:40 PM
1st2fight's Avatar
1st2fight 1st2fight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 123
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolor7 View Post
Original Stg 44 shot a shortenend 8mm Mauser round. Why anybody would make this in a 22lr is beyond me. How about .308?
it's because if the liberal commie elitists succeeded at restricting our 2a rights, that's about all you can get...
__________________
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2013, 2:27 PM
D Day Dog's Avatar
D Day Dog D Day Dog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 127
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
this time in Oxnard.Had never been there before as it is relatively new but
is very convenient for me in Ventura County. Went in to see about putting
down a deposit on a ATI STG 44 in 22LR.After getting my number--lo and
behold there is ONE staring me right in the face,I hadn't noticed it initially because it was beside a pink 22 long gun!I was very happy because
it had a nice DARK walnut stock which I prefer over the lighter colors.
Handled it and it is HEAVY but looks very nice as a replica and does shoot
22 ammo. Did my paperwork with nice young lady and will pick up in 10 days
it was a long wait (1 hour) as there were only 2 people behind the counter.
Pete
I have one of these .22 lr STG44s and they are a blast to shoot. There have been few problems reported with them. However, one common issue is that you need to adjustment the rear sights almost all the way out to hit center at 50 yards. Some owners have reportedly "shaved down" the front sight (there is a lot there) to compensate for it. Mine shoots tight groups at 50 yards and is very fun to shoot. Just make sure you use hi velocity ammo through it as it feeds much better than regular .22 rounds.

Dog
__________________
I'm the NRA. And I vote.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2013, 2:37 PM
D Day Dog's Avatar
D Day Dog D Day Dog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 127
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3239 View Post
The original STG was not a true 8mm Mauser. That is a full power rifle round, the Germans could the round down making the first intermediate cartridge, the 8mm Kurtz.

I would assume a .22LR rifle is a lot less of a headache (and probably cheaper) overall to produce (in Europe), to sell (worldwide), and import into the US. .22LR is an extremely common round and cheap to shoot, it is a round anyone of any age could really shot. Any store that sells ammo sells .22LR. The 8mm Kurtz is not common at all, and few other rifles if any shoot it. That would be like making a new rifle in .303 Brit or 30-40 Krag. Ya you can do it, but why use a practically dead round?

There was a company that made 5.56mm STGs. Those were cool, but too pricey. There was a company making an FG42, I think in 308. BA, but still too pricey.
The 8mm Kurz is a fine round. Much like an AK47. I like shooting them in my PTR44 (reproduction MP44). The Kurz ammo is still readily available and made by PPU in EUR. It's not terriby expensive at $12.50 per box of 20 (sometimes more or less) and is hard hitting. I reload mine to keep costs down and I can make them for around $8.00 a box of 20 now.

I also have one of the FG42s produced in the USA by SMG in Texas. Mine is an 8mm Mauser cal. like the original, but they are making them in .308 as well. These are extremely fun rifles to shoot (think BAR - but shorter). The action is violently fun. They are expensive, but when you're schooled enough and understand what it took to make them, the price is not all that bad at $4,995 a pc. Besides, one just sold at auction for over $6,000 - so they will likely just keep going up in price. If you get on the list for one, your price is still $4,995, regardless of what the ones ar auction sell for.

Dog
__________________
I'm the NRA. And I vote.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:00 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.