Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 PM

Default Short the panic - thinking of selling my AR

Hello CalGunners,

Here is my predicament. Back in August I purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport. Since then I've put maybe 200 rounds through it and kept it in immaculate condition (always clean as a dinner plate with frog lube and well oiled). Right now I'm looking at the irrational panic in the market and I hear the words of Warren Buffet in my head, "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful". I'm fairly certain all of this will blow over in a few months time and nothing will come out that will make CA any more AR restrictive than it currently is.

So, how much do you think I can get for this rifle if I was to sell it in the current climate? I have a quad-rail handguard, Magpul rail vertical grip, magpul MOE carbine buttstock, and a Magpul MIAD pistol grip on it.

My hopes is that I get enough to buy a glock then when the big AR panic of 2013 dies down I use the remaining cash to build a new AR. Do you guys think I'll be able to pull in enough from this sale to come out in a years time with 2 guns (AR + glock) instead of one?

Another reason for selling, I can't even shoot because I'm out of ammo and can't find anywhere selling .223 or 5.56 at anything reasonable. Right now my AR is a big 6lb club with a trigger.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 PM

pm sent.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:08 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

$3.50

The reason there's a panic is because people are unsure if they will be able to buy/build ARs in the future. You very well might sell and, if an AWB is passed, will be SOL. There's plenty of ammo to be had out there for a decent price. Personally, wouldn't get rid of an AR at this time-especially if your only reason fro selling is that you can't find ammo. Look harder. Ultimately it's your gun and your choice.

Last edited by vliberatore; 01-17-2013 at 6:11 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 6:52 AM

I would buy it for a decent price, that being said, I wouldn't sell it if i were you unless you absolutely had too for financial reasons. The ammo crisis WILL die down, GUARANTEED. The whole AWB thing on the other hand, I'm not sure. They might ban them, i don't know, nobody does. But i can assure you they won't ban ammo, that would never pass. When it all gets settled out ammo prices will come down back to earth and you will then be able to feed you gun. And if at that point you still want to sell it. It will probably be worth more.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore View Post
$3.50

The reason there's a panic is because people are unsure if they will be able to buy/build ARs in the future. You very well might sell and, if an AWB is passed, will be SOL. There's plenty of ammo to be had out there for a decent price. Personally, wouldn't get rid of an AR at this time-especially if your only reason fro selling is that you can't find ammo. Look harder. Ultimately it's your gun and your choice.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:02 AM

Keep it or you might not be able to own one ever again.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:05 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltguy View Post
I have 500 rounds (@ $.50/rd) due in from Cabela's in a week and 200 from another source TBD (But it was cheap, <$.45/rd)

OP look harder
Old 01-17-2013, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

These fishing for a price threads seem to work pretty good, heck, you probably already have it sold without using the market place.

As for ammo, I picked up close to 1000 rnd between cabelas and bass pro last couple of weeks,just because. no more than $.50 a round.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Why is your rear sight mounted forward like that? It belongs in the last cutout.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:27 AM

The new awb is said that if it has more than one military style feature it will be banned
Old 01-17-2013, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore View Post
I have 500 rounds (@ $.50/rd) due in from Cabela's in a week and 200 from another source TBD (But it was cheap, <$.45/rd)

OP look harder
looks all sold out there
buddy is looking sold out everywehere

I have plenty, but you said ""There's plenty of ammo to be had out there for a decent price""
Old 01-17-2013, 7:55 AM

www.anmoengine.com
Old 01-17-2013, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

sell it and buy a lower on back order?
Old 01-17-2013, 8:00 AM

get a 22lr convert upper. a lot cheeper to shoot 22.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:00 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltguy View Post
looks all sold out there
buddy is looking sold out everywehere

I have plenty, but you said ""There's plenty of ammo to be had out there for a decent price""
It's the other source that still claims they have it in stock. Waiting for delivery until I share it. Think more small online firearm retailers. The big ones get hammered-you need to find the "hole in the wall" on the internet.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:08 AM

Put it on GunBroker.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

The thing about selling is, sure you can make a few hundred more, but you are taking a chance. You might not be able to get another one. If the risk is worth it, you can try it.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

worth $2,000

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
Old 01-17-2013, 9:01 AM

you'll get better $ for it on gb. you wouldn't want to gouge the cgn family
Old 01-17-2013, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

If you only have one, I wouldn't do it.
Old 01-17-2013, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Keep it or you might not be able to own one ever again.
why are they also banning milling machines and alum. ? even with the current rumors for the AWB you could still build one compliant ....
Old 01-17-2013, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
The thing about selling is, sure you can make a few hundred more, but you are taking a chance. You might not be able to get another one. If the risk is worth it, you can try it.
+1.

Once something is banned and/or unavailable, that's it... Unless the OP has a surplus of these guns purchased at pre-12/14 prices, best to just hold onto them.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:29 PM

OP Where do you live? I was in your shoes but look around and you will find ammo at okay prices. If you live in the Los Angeles Are there are a lot of places that have ammo. Also if this is the only AR you have I would hold on to it because better safe then sorry.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

IF there is no ban, there will be no panic and therefore no panic prices. So yeah you should be able to build another AR and get a glock no problem. The thing is that you are gambling on there not being a ban.

If you had more than 1 AR, I would say do it. Since you don't, keep it unless you know of a source that will sell an AR for a not so crazy price.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 01-17-2013, 3:30 PM
Banned

The feds may not ban, but CA most certainly will. Keep it.
Old 01-17-2013, 3:33 PM

Lets meet up at ammo brothers to discuss things further... lol
Old 01-17-2013, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Failure is not an option....go find ammo.
Old 01-17-2013, 4:34 PM

Default Following Up

Some more info on my situation that people are bringing up. Yes, this is my only AR. In fact, this is my only firearm. It is not just about lack of ammo but also about the hope of picking up a handgun that I can shoot at a reasonable price now then later the joy of building an AR.

My estimation of the current climate is that people are very afraid of another AWB but there is almost NO chance that it makes it through the house. This is weird to say as someone who typically votes with the democrats, but there is no way the house republicans let anything like an AWB pass. I think people will eventually wise up and realize that no ban is coming and then the market will be flooded with new product (from increased production happening right now) and prices will return to normal. What may pass is a ban on "hi cap" magazines but such a ban would have no effect in CA where I already can't get more than 10 rounds into my AR. I want to sell as close to the peak of this bubble as possible and I think the executive orders may be right about maximum fervor. Is there anything proposed coming down the pipe that would mean I won't be able to buy another lower in a few months time?

Lots to respond to:

@b-ran: It isn't just that the ammo is high right now. It is also that I think I can make enough profit on the sale of this AR to end up with 2 guns in a year's time. This

@missiontrails: Didn't know that. I bought the rifle from LGS and haven't moved the rear sight since. I'll move it tomorrow night. Thanks for the info.

@someR1: $2,000 would make me a very happy camper.

@ruddogg: Yeah, I figure gb is the way to go for pulling in top dollar and I'm asking here because I know you guys mostly aren't looking to pay panic level prices (although I did get an unsolicited $1,500 offer).

@Jeepers: How does one go about milling a lower? Is this something I could do myself or would I need to hire someone to do it for me? Would that be legal or does that count as purchasing a lower (should they be banned for sale)?

@TheDigitalPicasso: LA area and everywhere I'm looking it is over twice than what I was paying back when I ordered in August (~.30/round)

@Inflicted: Are there any proposed CA bans on their way that we know of?
Old 01-17-2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
IF there is no ban, there will be no panic and therefore no panic prices. So yeah you should be able to build another AR and get a glock no problem. The thing is that you are gambling on there not being a ban.

If you had more than 1 AR, I would say do it. Since you don't, keep it unless you know of a source that will sell an AR for a not so crazy price.
Right now, a potential ban has nothing to do with out of stock rifles, lowers, ammo, etc.

Basically a 2-3 years inventory was sold in days. It's all gone. Everybody's cleaned out.

There are AR companies like LMT that are backordered out to 12 months.

There are large companies that are being cautious right now as far as how much raw materials, parts, etc. to order from suppliers to create more inventory. This is a topic of discussion at the SHOT show.

Even if Obama came out tomorrow and stated that there will be no ban, it will take industry a long time to get back up to speed.

But I agree, if it is the only AR the OP has, and he wants to eventually have one down the road, keep it. Ammo will come back, but ARs will take a long time.

"There is no hell. There is only France"- Frank Zappa
Old 01-17-2013, 4:38 PM

$200 gun buy back program
Old 01-17-2013, 4:50 PM

Default I'm thinking along the same lines.

A federal ban is virtually impossible but a crack down in CA may be in the cards. I can see the potential for an end to bullet buttons and even pistol grips on ARs in CA. I am thinking about selling some ammo (I have a large stock for target shooting, all same manufacturing lot #) and replacing it when this panic buying ends.
Old 01-17-2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadySteady...MISS View Post
This is weird to say as someone who typically votes with the democrats, but there is no way the house republicans let anything like an AWB pass.
As far as I'm concerned, you're part of the problem. Just wait until Yee and all the other simpering little cowards rape us with their new slew of restrictive anti-gun regulations, will you vote for them then?

Maybe you should have done a little thinking before you threw your lot in with those who don't care about you.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

Yeah me an a coworker were talking...He is selling his AR since people will buy at that crazy price. My situation is my AR is pretty tricked out and me having to redo it again one day is not a fun proposition. The fact that I would make a lot does not outweigh the pain of getting something back the way it is and my Daniel Defense is a keeper. Now with my AK patterns, I will have a hard time selling my PSL even knowing I would easily get over 2k for it...The hard part is finding it ever again matching everything like I do. A lot of what I have will be tough to get again...Matching everything is tough in the AK world...I am lucky and knew what to look for...

Your situation is you do not have anything special. Someone is willing to buy it for well over what you spent. You will luck out...The person buying it won't.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you're part of the problem. Just wait until Yee and all the other simpering little cowards rape us with their new slew of restrictive anti-gun regulations, will you vote for them then?

Maybe you should have done a little thinking before you threw your lot in with those who don't care about you.
Agreed...Part of the problem is Democrats...Believe it or not...When you vote in Feinstein forever...You are really hurting your rights more than helping yourself.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadySteady...MISS View Post

@Jeepers: How does one go about milling a lower? Is this something I could do myself or would I need to hire someone to do it for me? Would that be legal or does that count as purchasing a lower (should they be banned for sale)?
lots of threads on doing 80%'s and even cnc files to mill one from a block of billet, yes you have to do the work yourself or hire a manufacture to do it for you

once complete its the same as any AR lower you would buy, as far as bans go cali had a ban on AR's and that did not stop folks from buying them in a legal config... even if it drops down to 1 "feature" you can config it to conform to the law ....
Old 01-17-2013, 6:12 PM

Quote:
This is weird to say as someone who typically votes with the democrats,
So, let me get this straight, You vote for the party that has created the situation that you now want to profit from. And then you expect the party that you voted against to get you off the hook when it comes time for you to buy another gun??

Well, you'll get no advise from me, except that you sound like a typical Dumbocrat.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=dls;10233099]These fishing for a price threads seem to work pretty good, heck, you probably already have it sold without using the market place.
QUOTE]

It's the new Cal-Gunbroker!!

Look, you don't want it, then do what I did and hook someone up for what you have in it. I had extra, and sold at cost so others could have. You want to try and squeeze folks so you can have a few bucks to blow on whatever, go for it. Just don't expect help or generosity from the commuity in the future, and don't expect people to condone that behavior.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:35 PM

I got a LNIB Glock 19 that i will trade you.

PM me if you want.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:36 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Sell it to someone who actually cares about the 2nd Amendment
Old 01-17-2013, 6:55 PM

There was a run on both guns and ammo because people were buying before seeing what Obama was going to ask for from congress. Since he didnt ask for Ammo ban, I think ammo will come back, although there still is significant politcal risk here in CA of ammo regulation.

The real issue is all the panic buying is driving up prices and I fear that the manufacturers and retailers ill try their darndest to keep those prices high even after the panic dies down. Hopefully there will be enough competiton to keep prices down.