Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

Default Picked up a Colt Defender*Range Update*

It was such a long wait for this firearm because I bought it after I picked up my Sig 1911. Couldn't dros it yet because of 1/30 handgun CA handgun law. Stock trigger breaks at 5.5 lbs. I replaced the sear spring with Cylinder and Slide and it now breaks at 5 lbs. Feels good in my hand, cleaned and lubed with frog lube. I also bought a lot of recoil springs and assemblies. I prefer the looks of the Kimber Ultra Carry recoil assembly. The Colt has a C clamp which is easy to remove and change the springs. Kimber is difficult because you have to unscrew the bottom and it is tensioned well from the spring. I am planning to change the outer spring at 1000 rounds and change all the spring assembly at 2000 rounds ( if I ever get to that point haha )Can't wait to shoot it!

Last edited by ChaneRZ; 01-10-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM

Beautiful weapon! Have always wanted one. Nice mods. Best of luck with it.

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM

I have one in jail right now, get to pick it up next friday
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Looking forward to a range report Although I'm normally not a fan of super short 1911's I keep hearing good things about the Colt Defender.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM

gorgeous!
Old 01-09-2013, 4:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Champion makes a very nice and not too expensive fully adjustable rear sight for the short barreled 1911s. I put one on my Defender. The Defender doesn't have a tight slide to frame fit but other than my Detonics it's the only short barreled 1911 I have that worked perfectly from the start.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Banned

I fed this beast with Remington 185 fmj, Federal 230 fmj, and Winchester PDX1 230 hp. All fed well with no fte/ftf. Remington was the dirtiest and lots of fireball with this 3 inch handgun. Recoil was manageable. I am not going to lie, because it is flinch city with this gun lol. I loaded a snap cap with the live rounds and caught my self a lot of times.

I did limp wrist this handgun towards the end of my range time because I was getting tired. This is not a good precision/range gun. When I limp wristed, I would get a brass on my forehead. I was suprised that it did not stove piped. It is fun to shoot though! I developed a shooting technique with this gun. I would put the front sight post first and align the rear sight then squeeze the trigger. I am accurate that way with this 3 inch better than taking my time and watching my sight alignment. Here's the target. Upper target was 10 yards and lower was 7 yards.

Btw, I rented a TRP and I wasn't impressed.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice shooting. Love the grips. This gonna be a carry piece?
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Beautiful. Congrats!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the range report. Glad it ran well for you.

Recoil on those small 1911's in .45acp is just short of "fierce" imho. I found I needed a strong very firm grip to shoot them well, riding the thumb safety is definitely helpful imho; I have a Colt Officers LW I purchased new back in the 80's when they first came out along with a Kimber Ultra CDP II.

I too try to persuade people to get a larger, heavier 1911 if they want one just for range use and home defense, but some people feel one pistol can do it all. I've had much better results choosing the proper tool for the job.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 01-10-2013, 1:27 PM
Banned

Carry piece = I wish! Hard to get a CCW here in Richmond/Contra Costa.

Yup You really need to grip it hard or it will spit brass on your forehead.

Just trying to collect all the sizes for 1911. I just love the platform. I just need a commander one now.
Old 01-10-2013, 1:32 PM

Gorgeous!
Old 01-11-2013, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

Nice! Colt is the way...SA = LOL.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 01-11-2013, 8:27 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

I have shot a buddies defender before and it is surprisingly accurate once you get the hang of shooting it. The recoil is really sharp but it points back on target pretty quickly and I was impressed with it.
Old 01-11-2013, 7:09 PM

I love this gun so much I have one too

I changed the grips as well........congrats its a fine weapon
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:08 PM

so why did you sell the defender?
Old 01-17-2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaneRZ View Post
I fed this beast with Remington 185 fmj, Federal 230 fmj, and Winchester PDX1 230 hp. All fed well with no fte/ftf. Remington was the dirtiest and lots of fireball with this 3 inch handgun. Recoil was manageable. I am not going to lie, because it is flinch city with this gun lol. I loaded a snap cap with the live rounds and caught my self a lot of times.

I did limp wrist this handgun towards the end of my range time because I was getting tired. This is not a good precision/range gun. When I limp wristed, I would get a brass on my forehead. I was suprised that it did not stove piped. It is fun to shoot though! I developed a shooting technique with this gun. I would put the front sight post first and align the rear sight then squeeze the trigger. I am accurate that way with this 3 inch better than taking my time and watching my sight alignment. Here's the target. Upper target was 10 yards and lower was 7 yards.

Btw, I rented a TRP and I wasn't impressed.

I sold my Defender and bought a TRP. Just had to brake the tips off the 20lpi front grip.
Old 01-17-2013, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

That is one prety lady! Nice 1911, man!

WTB XDm .40. If you are within a hour of San Diego and what to sell then send an I'M please. I'm on the market for it!
Old 01-17-2013, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Thanks for the range report. Glad it ran well for you.

Recoil on those small 1911's in .45acp is just short of "fierce" imho. I found I needed a strong very firm grip to shoot them well, riding the thumb safety is definitely helpful imho; I have a Colt Officers LW I purchased new back in the 80's when they first came out along with a Kimber Ultra CDP II.

I too try to persuade people to get a larger, heavier 1911 if they want one just for range use and home defense, but some people feel one pistol can do it all. I've had much better results choosing the proper tool for the job.
with the collection you have, (that i have read here), i am surprised that you haven't aquired an original 451 detonics.
these would seem to be a recoil "rodeo"

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"