Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 PM

Smile your opinions on a H&R model 929 9-shot 22lr

hello my fellow calgunners!

my buddy inherited a H&R model 929 9-shot 22lr from his mother and told me to clean it up and give it a good inspection before firing)

It has a lot of rust, and I removed most of it with quad 0 steel wool and blue wonder. I have not dis assembled it completely yet, but i was wondering from my fellow calgunners if there were anything special i should look for? (i.e. broken parts, springs, etc.)

thanks again for your time.

sffred
Old 01-16-2013, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

most of those H&R's were built pretty strong. make sure the barrel is clear, and if it is a top break model the top latch locks secure. even in today's market there only worth a couple of 100
dollars. they are reliable with their week points being the advancing star shaped gear on the back of the cylinder that allows it to rotate as you pull the trigger. that gets worn down to the point of not functioning.
and the firing pin, if it's the old type on the tip of the hammer it's stronger but you have to make sure it rest on an empty cylinder. because there is no hammer block safety on the older model.
or if it's in new transfer bar type that sits in the frame. I find this to be weaker design that will last longer if you never dry fire it.
this is all just my opinion ,I am not a lawyer, I did not stay at a hotel 6, and everything I know I learned from YouTube videos.
good luck, I hope that helps
Old 01-22-2013, 6:49 PM

Remove the grip and check the main spring. The cup that rides on the hammer on mine broke into 3 pieces. Its made of cheap nylon on mine. I had a local gunsmith make me a new one out of aluminum. Nothing sucks worse than a trip to the range and the only gun you brought with you won't go bang.
Old 01-22-2013, 8:30 PM

My buddy inherited one from his grandfather last year. Great little shooter, but the little piece inside the frame that actuates the extractor for the cases when you open it up all the way broke after about 600 rounds. He's been having a heck of a time trying to track down a replacement too. Be gentle when you open it up after firing because he was pretty rough with his and that may have led to the failure. It still shoots fine but sometimes when you get an empty case stuck in the cylinder it can be a PITA to get it out.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 PM

Pretty good old gun, but showing its age. It was inexpensive and definitely "made to a price point." Fundamental design is strong and the guns are mostly solid steel, but depending on where any of the H&R revolvers were in the production cycle, after about 1950 some parts may be made of plastic or "pot metal" that simply is breaking down with the passage of time and use. Give it a normal cleaning, check the obvious wear points and inspect for broken or cracked parts. Essentially, if it goes bang, keep shooting 'til it stops going bang, at which point it becomes a wall hanger as parts and repairs will cost far more than the gun is worth.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM

I probably should have just hung it up when it broke. It cost me $100 to fix a pistol I only paid $125 for.
Old 01-23-2013, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

Let's see it
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 01-23-2013, 5:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wish I hadn't sold the one I had.
Old 01-23-2013, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

my dad, was taking about one of those, that he wanted to buy back in 50's (i think), that the shop owner talked him out of. still wishes he had bought it.

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"