Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-15-2013, 2:36 PM

Default Weird exerience buying .22lr ammo

I just DROS'd a Sig Mosquito yesterday. It's my first .22 so I don't have any ammo, but I always thought that .22lr was pretty easy to get. After looking around yesterday afternoon and evening (Wal-Mart, LGS, online), I found that .22lr is not easy to find right now.

So, here comes the weird part.

Bass Pro website showed that they were out-of-stock on the CCI Mini Mags (Swamp People Edition) but I could put in a back-order. Given how challenging things are, I decided it would be a good idea to put in a back-order and just get them whenever they came in. Well, surprise surprise, instead of back-ordered, my confirmation showed "in process" meaning they are getting ready to ship it to me. Inventory situation is changing quickly, but I felt pretty lucky. They haven't shipped it yet, but it looks like it wasn't back-ordered.

So, it gets weirder.

I started thinking, well, maybe inventory conditions are improving. Maybe I jumped the gun (har har) for nothing. Then last night, Bass Pro sent me a $20 gift card with $100 purchase. I went to their website today and saw that these Swamp People Mini Mags were now showing "in-stock"; not a surprise since they were filling my order from last night. I thought, well maybe .22lr isn't that tough to get so I don't need to buy more just yet, but I had that $20 gift card offer so I went ahead and put in an order for 4 boxes of 375 rounds at $26.99 per box. And even though it was showing in stock on the website...the confirmation for my 4 boxes showed back-ordered, LOL.

So, it looks like the inventory situation is changing minute by minute. I feel pretty fortunate that I have 2 boxes on the way; no telling when the other 4 might get shipped. I was going to run over here to tell everyone the good news that Bass Pro had some mini mags in stock (still shows in-stock right now), but if you try to put in an order it will probably say back-ordered.
Old 01-15-2013, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterStymie View Post

So, it looks like the inventory situation is changing minute by minute. I feel pretty fortunate that I have 2 boxes on the way; no telling when the other 4 might get shipped. I was going to run over here to tell everyone the good news that Bass Pro had some mini mags in stock (still shows in-stock right now), but if you try to put in an order it will probably say back-ordered.
That seems to be the case everywhere with almost everything gun related right now. If you see it and want it, <in my best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice> DO IT NOW!

Robert
Old 01-15-2013, 2:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Obama's glow shines upon you...

That is GREAT! Thanks for reminding us that some days are good in these new dark ages.
Old 01-15-2013, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Swamp People Mini Mags I had not heard of those before, what a great show/product tie in.

Glad you found some ammo.
Old 01-15-2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post
Swamp People Mini Mags I had not heard of those before, what a great show/product tie in.

I think he means the Troy Landry endorsed ammo...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/979...int-box-of-375
Old 01-15-2013, 5:02 PM

You are in Union city. Bass Pros is in Manteca. You should go anyway and experience what gun stores in free states look like.

Unless you're driving a tank, it's cheaper to drive to Manteca than pay the shipping. Check the Big 5s. I was in the San Lorenzo store today and noticed they seem to be fairly well stocked in ammo. Not sure about Mini-mags but the Blazers are about the same without the copper wash. If your gun likes mini-mags, it will happily eat blazers in a pinch.

Anyway, everything is nuts right now. Don't count on anything till you're holding it in your hand.
Old 01-15-2013, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcat707 View Post
I think he means the Troy Landry endorsed ammo...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/979...int-box-of-375
Too funny, that is the guy I was picturing in my mind when he mentioned Swamp People ammo.
Old 01-15-2013, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakenlag View Post
You are in Union city. Bass Pros is in Manteca. You should go anyway and experience what gun stores in free states look like.

Unless you're driving a tank, it's cheaper to drive to Manteca than pay the shipping. Check the Big 5s. I was in the San Lorenzo store today and noticed they seem to be fairly well stocked in ammo. Not sure about Mini-mags but the Blazers are about the same without the copper wash. If your gun likes mini-mags, it will happily eat blazers in a pinch.

Anyway, everything is nuts right now. Don't count on anything till you're holding it in your hand.
My tank's in the shop, I'll be driving my 747

Actually, I agree with you 100%. In fact, Bass Pro has free delivery to stores so I selected the Manteca store for my online order. It's a little too far to drive just to try my luck and see if they have something in stock (come up mostly dry last three trips to Wal-Mart, I hate that), but I'm happy to make the trip to pick up something that is waiting there for me.

Thanks for the tip on the Blazers. I use the Blazer Brass 9mm in my Sig 2022, but I've heard that the Mosquito is really finicky when it comes to ammo and the mini mags are recommended by the factory. Some users have suggested shooting 500 rounds of mini mags for break in will help it become less picky...we'll see.
Old 01-15-2013, 5:28 PM

I'll probably be lynched for this but Cheaperthandirt has 22LR in stock. May the flaming commence.
Old 01-15-2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:

Actually, I agree with you 100%. In fact, Bass Pro has free delivery to stores so I selected the Manteca store for my online order. It's a little too far to drive just to try my luck and see if they have something in stock (come up mostly dry last three trips to Wal-Mart, I hate that), but I'm happy to make the trip to pick up something that is waiting there for me.

Thanks for the tip on the Blazers. I use the Blazer Brass 9mm in my Sig 2022, but I've heard that the Mosquito is really finicky when it comes to ammo and the mini mags are recommended by the factory. Some users have suggested shooting 500 rounds of mini mags for break in will help it become less picky...we'll see.

I bought a Mosquito from another Calgunner a few years back and it did have problems with cheap ammo. The other Calgunner ended up sending me some factory recoil springs he some how got with different strengths to help tune it after I told him about the issues it was having. I ended up selling it before trying them out. I sold it at a cheap price and now I wish I should have kept it since all other pistol ammo is getting way more pricer. But yes, that gun is picky. So mini- mags should work well with it.

"Choot em!"
Old 01-15-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:

Tank You!

My last couple trips out to Bass Pros for reloading supplies yielded not entirely fulfilling results. It never occurred to me I could order online and just pick it up at the store. Doh!
But, even though quite a drive (I'm in that gleaming city known as Oakland) for me, it's always worth it. That place is a toy store. Even when I don't find exactly what I want, I always find something that makes the trip worthwhile.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post

Choot 'em!! Hahahah loved that show...
Old 01-16-2013, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmem View Post
I'll probably be lynched for this but Cheaperthandirt has 22LR in stock. May the flaming commence.
No need to flame...

I'm sure in a few days someone will start a thread about how CTD won't ship 22's to Cali
Old 01-16-2013, 2:03 PM

CCI Mini Mags 22LR 40Gr. 500rds 40 in stock

http://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/22...-500rds/44-157
Old 01-16-2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel80 View Post
Choot 'em!! Hahahah loved that show...
New season coming soon!

Robert
Old 01-17-2013, 9:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My big mistake; Being at Walmart last year, and passing on the 3 1600 round mini-mag ammo boxes there, which they then stopped carrying (It wasn't a great price, but it was there and it was mini-mags!)
Old 01-17-2013, 3:31 PM

It isn't just .22 that is giving us fits. Actually, I am sort of just watching what is going on. I got a good deal on some ammo from Palmetto and Natchezs, plaaced the orders and got them without too much delay. Not large by any means, just small orders to leave some for the rest of America.