Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-18-2013, 3:54 PM

Default M&P9 mag lock ?

First experience with a mag lockout/disconnect whatever it is called on a handgun. So had my new M&P9 at the range, everything is functioning as it should happy camper. Then I find I cannot insert/seat a loaded mag if the slide is in the closed position. No problem if the mag is empty or slide is locked open.

Is this a characteristic of the mag lock or a problem?

Actually either way it is a problem. It seems I cannot keep a loaded mag in the handgun unless there is a round in the chamber. My preference for HD is to have a loaded mag without a round in the chamber.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 01-18-2013, 3:58 PM

Nothing to do with the magazine disconnect. The mag disconnect prevents the gun from firing with the magazine removed.

M&P 10 round mags are extremely stiff you can seat a fully loaded 10 round mag into the gun with the slide closed but you will need to smack it home pretty hard.
Old 01-18-2013, 4:07 PM

Thanks for the response. I understand the purpose of the feature, but was concerned it might be an undesirable side effect.

So if I just slam the loaded mag it should seat properly. Have you heard of any modifications that can be made to the mags to improve their functionality?

Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2013, 4:14 PM

my mp9c is the same. gotta put it in hard.

thats what she said....couldnt resist.
Old 01-18-2013, 4:26 PM

Same here with my m&p9. It got better with time.
Old 01-18-2013, 4:43 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

And ditto what everyone else said. Those mags are insanely tight. My wife shoots an M&P9 in IDPA and also uses it as her home defense gun. Even after quite a bit of firing those mags are still tight.

Here is what we do, we keep the slide locked back with a magazine in the gun when it is locked in the gunvault. My wife can pull it out of the vault and know by just the way it feels in the dark that it isn't ready to go. One simple step and she knows there will be a round in the chamber.

Easier to seat, and it doesn't mark up the round that is in the mag. She can get it into battery pretty quick.

Last edited by Kodemonkey; 01-18-2013 at 4:48 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 4:46 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedivision View Post
Nothing to do with the magazine disconnect. The mag disconnect prevents the gun from firing with the magazine removed.

M&P 10 round mags are extremely stiff you can seat a fully loaded 10 round mag into the gun with the slide closed but you will need to smack it home pretty hard.
And don't be surprised if that allows the slide to go forward. 95% of the time my wife smacks that magazine in so hard in competition that the slide goes forward automatically.
Old 01-18-2013, 5:19 PM
Calguns Addict

If you call S&W customer service and have a new pistol, they will send you two new followers. I've done it, they know there is a problem.
Old 01-18-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
If you call S&W customer service and have a new pistol, they will send you two new followers. I've done it, they know there is a problem.
I can vouch for that. I called in to S&W today and they are shipping me "two new springs" didn't think about asking if that included new followers as well though?
Old 01-18-2013, 6:21 PM

Thanks to all. I was hesitant to slam the mag without knowing. The springs in my sig are almost impossible to get 10 in, but no problems seating the mag.
Old 01-18-2013, 6:29 PM
Banned

just smack it. I had the same problem with my 9c
Old 01-18-2013, 6:32 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

Also, if you don't have an UPLULA mag loader - I highly recommend one. Can be bought at amazon.com. It makes getting that 10th round in so much easier and saves your thumbs from those metal feed lips on the M&P mags.

Use the shop42a.com link for amazon and CGF gets a free donation from amazon. And it doesn't cost you a penny! It's a win win.

Look at how many 5 star reviews that it has. I have 2 because the wife wanted her own.
Old 01-18-2013, 7:21 PM

Uplala loader is great. Have the same problem, called SW and they are sending me followers and springs, they were very nice about it. Hope it makes things easier, btw I can only get 9 rounds until it makes a hard stop.
Old 01-18-2013, 8:47 PM

Other suggestions I've seen were load a mag, ram it in with the slide closed and let it sit in a drawer for a week, load and unload it a few dozen times, load the mag and let IT sit in the drawer for a week.

There's a few DIY mods you can do as well but I wouldn't be trusted to do them myself. If you aren't comfortable with it, I'd not recommend it.
Old 01-18-2013, 8:47 PM

Another +1 for the Uplula. I bought one after I gouged out a chunk of my thumb on a feed lip when my hand slipped trying to push in the last round of a magazine.

Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.
Old 01-18-2013, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I love Uplula's and have them now for my long guns too. I'm too old to care if anyone thinks I'm a woos. My thumbs love me for it.
Old 01-19-2013, 1:30 PM

Even with the Uplula I can't get 10 rounds in to one of my MP9c mags and if I put 10 in the other two I get a failure-to-feed problem about once every three mags. Absolutely no problem loading 12 with the two full-size MP9c Mags I keep up in my Montana house.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!