Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-18-2013, 6:29 PM

Default Springfield XD9 Duty fails to go bang

Hi,

I've had this gun since it was first introduced about 9 years (?). I don't know how many rounds I've shot through it.

Recently, about 1 out of every 30 rounds seems to have a "light" primer strike, and the gun will not fire the round. After I eject the round, the new round usually fires. This is Fiocchi ammo. Sometimes if I feed the lightly struck round through again, it will fire, sometimes, it still won't. I've just tossed the ones that are not firing. One time, I rented a Glock and tried the same ammo rounds that failed on my pistol. The Glock fired all but one.

Sooo, can someone tell me if the ammo is likey the issue or my gun? I'm not a gunsmith nor am I mechanically inclined, but is there some spring on the gun that may need to be replaced?

Its seems that factory ammo would not have any "duds" in the batch, but two different guns had a problem. WTH???? Any help appreciated.
Old 01-18-2013, 6:43 PM

It's the ammo. In my opinion and personal experiences, Fiocchi blows.

If you lost round count, I would replace all of your Springs or at least the recoil spring and firing pin spring just to be safe. I do not own an XD but I do own a Glock. Oh also inspect/clean your firing pin as well as your firing pin channel, make sure you get all the crud out if any.

Edit: Don't know about XDs but in Glocks the Striker/Firing Pin/Channel is suppose to run dry. Oiling it is a big No No.

Last edited by INFAMOUS762X39; 01-18-2013 at 6:55 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 6:46 PM

Have you ever removed the striker on your XD and cleaned out the channel? If not, you probably have some junk built up in there from the years that's occasionally interfering with the striker during firing. Removing the striker requires tapping out the striker retainer pin, so you should also look to see if the pin is cracked or broken, which might also be interfering with the striker.

Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.
Old 01-18-2013, 6:46 PM

Had similar experience with Fiocchi.

Are you comfortable tearing down your XD9? Its wicked easy to strip it down and clean the firing pin channel. I had an M&P40 that was full of carbon, brass shavings, and dirt causing light primer strikes.
Old 01-18-2013, 6:55 PM

Well, I have never removed the striker on my pistol nor have I ever striped it down to clean the firing pin channel (I'm sorta "scared" to do that for fear I'll F it up.) Is there a good video explaining how to do this?

The only cleaning I've ever done is to field strip it. But I have sloshed Hoopes #9 into the firing pin area. Guess that is not gonna clean everything, huh?

I'd like to get this fixed because its my home defense pistol. I don't want it to fail to go bang when I really need it to.

Last edited by SamGoldstein; 01-18-2013 at 6:58 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS762X39 View Post

If you lost round count, I would replace all of your Springs or at least the recoil spring and firing pin spring just to be safe. I do not own an XD but I do own a Glock. Oh also inspect/clean your firing pin as well as your firing pin channel, make sure you get all the crud out if any.

Edit: Don't know about XDs but in Glocks the Striker/Firing Pin/Channel is suppose to run dry. Oiling it is a big No No.
Dry? I've left mine oiled. Maybe I shouldn't have. Rem oil should be a light enough oil though.
Old 01-18-2013, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGoldstein View Post
Well, I have never removed the striker on my pistol nor have I ever striped it down to clean the firing pin channel (I'm sorta "scared" to do that for fear I'll F it up.) Is there a good video explaining how to do this?

The only cleaning I've ever done is to field strip it. But I have sloshed Hoopes #9 into the firing pin area. Guess that is not gonna clean everything, huh?

I'd like to get this fixed because its my home defense pistol. I don't want it to fail to go bang when I really need it to.
That's your problem right there.

If this is for Home Defense why aren't you cleaning it????!!!! It really blows my mind.

Search Youtube for Detail Breakdown Videos/Tips. I do and they help.
Old 01-18-2013, 9:07 PM

I just did my XD-45 today. Easy to clean the striker channel, I used this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXlc6fV4Z1w
Then I replaced the striker spring with a high power spring from Springer Precision (I was getting light stries every shot).
Haven't tried it yet, will take it to the range tomorrow.
If you are near me in NorCal I can show you how to do it.
Old 01-18-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneko View Post
I just did my XD-45 today. Easy to clean the striker channel, I used this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXlc6fV4Z1w
Then I replaced the striker spring with a high power spring from Springer Precision (I was getting light stries every shot).
Haven't tried it yet, will take it to the range tomorrow.
If you are near me in NorCal I can show you how to do it.
I'm in SoCal. Thanks for the video URL.
Old 01-18-2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf6tac View Post
Have you ever removed the striker on your XD and cleaned out the channel? If not, you probably have some junk built up in there from the years that's occasionally interfering with the striker during firing. Removing the striker requires tapping out the striker retainer pin, so you should also look to see if the pin is cracked or broken, which might also be interfering with the striker.
This^ your xd9 is 9 years old time to change springs and take apart the striker to clean.. Your xd9 then should run fine.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Holy crap, 9 years of shooting it and not knowing how many rounds through it and never cleaning the striker channel?

Might be a good time to upgrade the striker retainer pin to a stronger one also.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Get a new striker spring:

https://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=XD0911

http://xdguys.com/shoppingcart/produ...Striker-Spring
Old 01-19-2013, 5:48 AM

Okay guys, I get that I should have cleaned it better. But I said I field stripped the gun and the barrel is spotless. I don't keep round counts on any of my guns. Sorry.

Since the gun has a lifetime guarantee, I'll send it to Springfield for a FREE tune up, since I don't have the skill or tools to fix it. Besides, that's one of the reasons I bought it.
Old 01-19-2013, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Okay guys, I get that I should have cleaned it better. But I said I field stripped the gun and the barrel is spotless. I don't keep round counts on any of my guns. Sorry.

Since the gun has a lifetime guarantee, I'll send it to Springfield for a FREE tune up, since I don't have the skill or tools to fix it. Besides, that's one of the reasons I bought it.
All you need to disassemble the slide is a pair of punches (roll pin punches preferred). It's really not hard at all and after shooting a couple cases of ammo it would probably be a good idea to clean out the internals again.

You said this was a home defense gun. If that's the case then you can't expect to never tackle the job and just wait until the next light strike to send it to Springfield again and again. What if a light strike happens in an event that your life is dependent on the gun?
Old 01-19-2013, 9:29 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Clean out the striker channel. It's very easy to break down to clean it out.

DO NOT OIL THE CHANNEL!

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 01-19-2013, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Dry? I've left mine oiled. Maybe I shouldn't have. Rem oil should be a light enough oil though.
I hope you are not putting oil in the hole that the firing pin protrudes through. The heat/flame from the primer will burn any oil in that area producing a carbonized surface. I run Gunscrubber through that area and leave it at that.

Also remember the adage that 1 is none, 2 is 1. I have a spare XD that can take the place of the one by the bed should it need to be sent out for repair.

A fellow I know does the following drill. He rotates between two pistols on the nightstand. The gun that comes off the nightstand becomes a practice machine. When he is ready to swap, he cleans the practice piece, then goes to the range and shoots 1 magazine's worth of the self defense ammo he will be using. That gun, not cleaned (only one mag's worth of dirt) is now placed at the nightstand. This way, he is absolutely sure nothing is wrong after a cleaning.
Old 01-19-2013, 9:52 AM

Okay, you convinced me. I'll tackle this job.

I have been oiling the channel, so stupid me. Striker fired guns are new to me. I'll order some replacement springs first.
Old 01-19-2013, 9:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

99% chance the spring is fine.

Clean the channel out (I've always used brake cleaner, to many gun cleaners leave a residue), dry it, and leave it alone.

Old 01-19-2013, 9:59 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

99% chance the spring is fine.

Clean the channel out (I've always used brake cleaner, to many gun cleaners leave a residue), dry it, and leave it alone.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Good info, ill be doing my XD9 also.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM

Default Fiocchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS762X39 View Post
You know I used to swear by this ammo, back in the early 90s it was cheap and loaded hot and I never had issue with it.

Recently I went out and with a couple of boxes of Fiocchi 9mm 115gr stuff I had around 1 in 15 not fire on first stike. This was with a G19 and friend's S&W Glock clone.

The lot of ammo was around 10 years old (at least that is when I purchased it). I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

Oddly, next time out, same ammo, I had no issues. Will ambient temperature, elevation, sun spots, etc. have impact on ammo reliability?

thanks,