Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM

yeah, my understanding is this is a done deal. I don't think the usual loose lips sink ships speech is needed.

Still, BB allowed or not, this is a sad day for NY gun owners. And I agree that this law highlights the dangers of letting ignorant people write the laws. Its like asking someone whose never even been in a car to draft car safety laws.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree. CA will most CERTAINLY at least "one up" NY.
yep. CA legislative goons want to "lead" not follow... they will make it more restrictive just to say they are setting the standard (pathetic).

-----------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCloud9 View Post
We're screwed. The left was fooled by Obama and the right is being fooled by Trump.
My Simple Life of FREEDOM feels good in My Soul... Good luck CGN Brothers
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Pre-Banned

Ok, I read it wrong the first time. Had to go back to the "how to read a bill page"

They specifically allow bullet buttons, but pay attention to the list, it's sneaky.
An assault weapon is,
"(VIII) A SEMIAUTOMATIC VERSION OF AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE, SHOTGUN OR
25 FIREARM;"

Good luck getting anything in NY with that little section.

The links in the first post are from S1422, which was proposed weeks ago.

Cuomo signed S2230,

http://www.nysenate.gov/files/pdfs/S2230.pdf

There's the complete text.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by bigcalidave; 01-17-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Wow. IMHO they really stepped in it with that. Thats even worse than the CA language that got thrown out in Harrot. Consider this, any semi auto can conceivably be turned into a full auto. There are full auto Ruger 10/22s, mini-14s, etc. So, is the original a semi auto with a full auto version, or vice versa and thus an AW? And how is any reasonable and prudent person supposed to know if at any time ever in the world there has been a full auto version of their firearm produced?

Vague and ambiguous much? Add to that the fact that they allow you to have a ten round magazine, but only load 7 rounds, which gives an interesting challenge to the "functional" firearm protection in Heller. Could be some interesting challenges made. They will all lose, btw, since this is NY we're talking about. But could make for some good appellate cases.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinarmory View Post
That is cool that you found that. Formerly NY had the option of one EBR feature, but they could did not really codify mag locked guns. Now it appears that they have opened a door to bb'd guns!
I think that I'm reading this differently. Does anyone else think that they were TRYING to write was a law that stated that removing the magazine with a tool was ok, but the bullet or ammunition cartridge wasn't a tool?

They ended up wrtiing "WITHOUT THE USE OF ANY TOOL, INCLUDING A BULLET OR AMMUNITION CARTRIDGE", which clearly lists a bullet or cartridge as a tool by its wording.

Why would NY actually expressly list the BB as a tool when they could just leave it ambiguous and thus open to future infringement? This seems like an unnecessarily generous step from a group that just ripped the second amendment out of the Bill of Rights and used it for toilet paper.
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Ok, I read it wrong the first time. Had to go back to the "how to read a bill page"

They specifically allow bullet buttons, but pay attention to the list, it's sneaky.
An assault weapon is,
"(VIII) A SEMIAUTOMATIC VERSION OF AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE, SHOTGUN OR
25 FIREARM;"

Good luck getting anything in NY with that little section.

The links in the first post are from S1422, which was proposed weeks ago.

Cuomo signed S2230,

http://www.nysenate.gov/files/pdfs/S2230.pdf

There's the complete text.
wouldnt that apply to M-16s, etc modified for semi-auto, but not for ar-15s or other firearms originally built in semi-auto?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I think that I'm reading this differently. Does anyone else think that they were TRYING to write was a law that stated that removing the magazine with a tool was ok, but the bullet or ammunition cartridge wasn't a tool?

They ended up wrtiing "WITHOUT THE USE OF ANY TOOL, INCLUDING A BULLET OR AMMUNITION CARTRIDGE", which clearly lists a bullet or cartridge as a tool by its wording.

Why would NY actually expressly list the BB as a tool when they could just leave it ambiguous and thus open to future infringement? This seems like an unnecessarily generous step from a group that just ripped the second amendment out of the Bill of Rights and used it for toilet paper.
lol. I was thinking the same thing. I read that sentence over in my head a considerable amount of times.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
wouldnt that apply to M-16s, etc modified for semi-auto, but not for ar-15s or other firearms originally built in semi-auto?
I don't think so. A semiauto version of a full auto firearm remains so regardless of the order of their design.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM

The Mayor of New York is an idiot....

Don't load the 8th round into your magazine?!?!

There isn't even a market for 7 round magazines! To make things worse, do you think these criminals will follow that 7 round magazine rule.... NO!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

It was pointed out to me on another forum that there's no exemption for LEOs in the law. Does anyone know if there's some exemption elsewhere?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
CGN Contributor

No more internet sales of ammo to NY.

Quote:
In order to prevent circumvention of these new controls, this bill
requires that any seller whether located in New York or out of state
ship the ammunition to a dealer within New York for in person pickup.
The dealer is required to maintain records of the ammunition sale and to
perform a State review of disqualifiers.

Quote:
An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:
The right to buy weapons is the right to be free. A. E. van Vogt. (The Weapon Shops of Isher)
Quote:
...all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by... John Masefield
Know our enemy - Liberal Progressives are fascists and traitors to America and deserve lifetime exile at the least. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Fascism
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

It appears that in their haste to "do something" about guns, they forgot to exempt Police from the 7 round magazine limit...

I think we just scored thousands of pro-gun police officers thanks to their sloppiness!

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
It appears that in their haste to "do something" about guns, they forgot to exempt Police from the 7 round magazine limit...

I think we just scored thousands of pro-gun police officers thanks to their sloppiness!
On the other hand. Those NYC cops accidentally shot nine people when they went after the Empire State shooter.

Maybe the people of New York will be safer if the cops have fewer rounds...

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It would be funny to see entire NY police departments arrested for possessing hi cap mags.
Old 01-17-2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
How do you figure? They'll take their upcoming exemption (in a "technical update") to the law and do nothing for civilians. That's the whole point of a LEO exemption: to induce LEOs not to object to the upcoming screwing of civilians.
Old 01-17-2013, 1:12 PM

Yeah, its hilarious and humiliating for the governor and his stooges. But, it will only take another illegal "emergency" vote to fix it. I really don't see cops arresting other cops for this.

BTW, if I was a FFL in NY state, I'd refuse to do ANY business with any State agency just on general principle.
Old 01-17-2013, 1:18 PM

OH yeah .... like criminals will adhere to that rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter206 View Post
The Mayor of New York is an idiot....

Don't load the 8th round into your magazine?!?!

There isn't even a market for 7 round magazines! To make things worse, do you think these criminals will follow that 7 round magazine rule.... NO!
Old 01-17-2013, 1:26 PM

http://www.algraf.org/2013/01/15/gra...awed-gun-bill/
Old 01-17-2013, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc748bip View Post
OH yeah .... like criminals will adhere to that rule...
So long as they discharge all rounds > 7, all evidence of their transgression is gone
Old 01-17-2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr View Post
Yeah, its hilarious and humiliating for the governor and his stooges. But, it will only take another illegal "emergency" vote to fix it. I really don't see cops arresting other cops for this.

BTW, if I was a FFL in NY state, I'd refuse to do ANY business with any State agency just on general principle.
This would actually have a huge impact if all businesses involved in the industry declared that they would not sell anything to the government agencies that could not be sold to the peasants.

Additionally, I would like to know how exemptions work legally under an ammendment written in a Constitution in a country created on a written principle where allegedly all men (and of course women) are "created equal" with inalienable rights and so on.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:26 PM

Absolutely sickening. And we all know this just sets a precedent for CA to follow.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:29 PM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:

If this is true, 2A activists should effect citizens arrests on every police officer they can find that is breaking the new law just to show the legislators how stupid they are.

1 day with hundreds or thousands of cops off the beat should wake up a few people..

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:40 PM

It's just unconstitutional plain and simple. Those in office took an oath to support the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. We gave them the power and they abused it. It's time we take it back. Put up or shut up. Vote them out!!
Old 01-17-2013, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrr View Post

They wouldn't arrest each other anyways. You think a cop is going to arrest his buddy over a magazine? No way. He needs his buddy's help to lock up all the law abiding citizens this law makes into felons.
Old 01-17-2013, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post
If this is true, 2A activists should effect citizens arrests on every police officer they can find that is breaking the new law just to show the legislators how stupid they are.
Sounds great, if you want a bunch of dead civilians.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 PM

This is from Rep Steve McLaughlin posted on his Facebook page concerning what Democrats wanted originally included in the SAFE ACT.

Quote:
Here it is. This is the video where I was asked to keep the Democrat proposals for the NY SAFE Act away from the public. This list was given to me by a colleague and it is not confidential.

This bill was an attack on the 2nd amendment and the Democrats clearly wanted to dismantle the work of the Founding Fathers. None of these amendments were included in the final bill thanks to us fighting back. I will not stand silent while these unpatriotic proposals are pathetically thrown at us a 11 o’clock at night:

1. Confiscation of "assault weapons"
2. Confiscation o ten round clips
3. Statewide database for ALL Guns
4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder's information to be replaced to the public
5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as "assault weapons”
6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11. State issued pistol permits
12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14. Mandatory locking of guns at home
15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ryUbJfg4tAo
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

http://nyshooters.net/forum/showthre...they-are-after

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker View Post
Hispanic my left asscheek, that boy is cracked out on jihad
Old 01-18-2013, 2:02 AM

The NY PBA (their police union) is completely furious.
They want both current and retired police officers exempted from the 7-round limit. Now, what makes a retired police officer different from an ordinary person?
Old 01-18-2013, 7:22 AM

So is this an actual law now, that new York has to follow? If not, how long until they actually are supposed to follow these rules?
Old 01-18-2013, 7:29 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars

From here:

Quote:
As a result, at least one Federal Firearms Licensee has refused to allow police officers who have purchased guns to have the magazines that come with them, because those factory standard magazines hold more than seven rounds. The FFL fears selling the guns he has with the magazines they came with would be breaking the law, even when the purchasers are cops, because there are no clear provisions in the bill allowing a police exception to the ban.

Old 01-18-2013, 7:30 AM

and they wonder why only an estimated 10% of the "eligible" rifles covered under the 2000 ban were registered...
Old 01-18-2013, 6:24 PM

So when there is a legal challenge to this will WE find out here? Also, can we send money their way to a "Calguns" type entity back in NY? Not that we won't have our own issues here to fund and deal with soon, but if one link fails, you lose the whole chain. What are the chances that this gets shot down, and the way its modeled after a lot of our stuff, helps us to some extent? Is their a coordinated effort between Calguns (since we have been dealing with this crap longer) the SAF and the NRA?
Old 01-20-2013, 9:53 PM

Default Let's hope they don't have an agenda like this in Sacramento

http://www.thecommentator.com/articl...cation_of_guns
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Of course they do.
How stupid to these people think we are?
Forget all the stupid bans that are clearly unconstitutional,
its is all the licensing and associated fees which are designed to bleed us dry.
How many people will keep lots of guns when the fees start adding up to more then they can afford...
"Reasonable" yeah, sure.
Old 01-21-2013, 6:33 AM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
The first AR-15s were select-fire.
Old 01-21-2013, 8:52 AM

Smile NYAWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW*Mike View Post
So when there is a legal challenge to this will WE find out here? Also, can we send money their way to a "Calguns" type entity back in NY? Not that we won't have our own issues here to fund and deal with soon, but if one link fails, you lose the whole chain. What are the chances that this gets shot down, and the way its modeled after a lot of our stuff, helps us to some extent? Is their a coordinated effort between Calguns (since we have been dealing with this crap longer) the SAF and the NRA?
Legal challenge you ask? Here you go:

http://www.nysrpa.org/index.php?opti...ews&Itemid=192

I bet one of the attorneys they reference is none other than Mr. Gura.
Old 01-22-2013, 5:06 AM
Banned

Question question about NY's mag law and tube magazines

As i understand it mags that only hold 10 rounds have to be altered to only hold 7. Does the law cover tube magazines like on lever rifles and shotguns? Is it even possible to permanently limit a mossberg tube to only hold 7 shells without wrecking the shotgun?
Old 01-22-2013, 5:12 AM
Calguns Addict

It's a tiered system in NY State now.

10+ round magazines have to be removed from the state within 12 months.
10 round mags owned before the SAFE act can be owned and used so long as its owner only loads 7 in them.
New firearms sold in NY cannot have an 8 round magazine included, nor can residents buy new 8 round mags.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 01-22-2013, 5:15 AM
Banned

So it does cover tube magazines? No more 590's in NY i guess
Old 01-22-2013, 5:30 AM

Does your 590 hold more than 10? If not you're fine.
I didn't read it very closely but I don't think the legislation made any exceptions for types of magazines so I believe it does cover tube mags and everything else.

Also, if you're not in NY you're fine... If you are maybe check out North East Shooters.