Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Budget rifle-Ruger American or Remington 783

My son, now 12, has been saving all his money and is looking to buy his first deer rifle, probably in .308. Unless we fall into a good deal on a used rifle we'll probably end up going with one of the new budget rifles. The reviews I have read on both rifles sound like they both shoot well. Has anyone had experience with either rifle? The gun writers seem to fawn over them to the point they sound like marketing people instead of independent analysts and I would like to find an honest opinion from a real owner.
Old 01-14-2013, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I dont own an American yet but once i move i plan to pick one up. here is a review that might help. He talks about the good and bad of the rifle, he also pits it against the axis which is another rifle i was looking at.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 01-14-2013, 3:24 PM

Thanks for the video. It's a little too much for here at work. I'll check it out when I get home.
Old 01-19-2013, 7:18 AM

The 783 looks like a well built bolt action hunting rifle. It sounds like the barrel is heavier than the Ruger American...does anyone know how the barrels compare?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-19-2013, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't know much about those, but this is $481 at Buds Gun Shop. You could also get one with the adult stock.
Savage 11 TH XP 308 Youth NIKON
Old 01-19-2013, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

As for myself, I'll wait to see if the Remington 783 is the real deal or just another update/renaming of the 710 (which was renamed the 770 just a few years back), which has always been significantly inferior in materials and workmanship to other comparably priced budget rifles.

Personally, I'd look at the Ruger, Savage Axis, and Marlin XS-7.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner

Last edited by Vacaville; 01-19-2013 at 8:15 AM..
Old 01-19-2013, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

I agree the 783 needs to be inspected/reviewed to make sure it not just a relabeled 770.

I handled the Ruger American and it feels decent. I would prefer a more classic style stock but that's my taste. The safety button is in the right spot IMO. I like this gun better than the budget Savage rifle.
Old 01-19-2013, 8:57 AM

if it only for deer ,pigs ..small game...you might want to look into a 270 cal...i've taken a lot of animals over the last 20+ yrs with my rifle.....plus with all the price crazies out there right now 270 are staying the same price ..remember it is all bullet placement with the proper optics ...you can only hit what you see
Old 01-19-2013, 9:04 AM

check the pawn shops in your area also for a used gun...a 270 kicks less than a 308 or 30-06 and is a flatter shotter
Old 01-19-2013, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

The Ruger is a nice rifle. I have shot one. The 308 is just fine. The 7mm-08 is even better to me if it is chambered in it. The 260 is also very good. The rem may just be another 710/770 type and they are junk. I do like rem rifles but not those junk ones. Savage/stevens/mossberg are good. Tikka in 7mm-08 is perfect. The Tikka T-3Lite is a fantastic rifle. I have two. One is 6.5X55 and the other is 7mm-08. Stay away from the mags in the Tikka unless you enjoy allot of recoil.

Back to your question. I would say get the Ruger in the 308 you were thinking about or 7mm-08.
Old 01-19-2013, 9:59 AM

My good friend has a Ruger American in .308 and its great,pretty smooth action and darn accurate. I am getting one soon as my LGS gets them back in stock.
Old 05-16-2013, 4:01 PM

I just bought a .270 Remington 783. After talking with the Remington reps at the NRA convention and reading reviews this does not appear to be another 770. The 783 felt better than the American when shouldered and has a heavier barrel than the American does. Overall weight is about a pound heavier. The trigger feels good as well.