Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-14-2013, 9:33 AM

Default Circle S in Petaluma

Well, I went to circle S on sunday. Let me preface by saying, I moved here 6 years ago from PA and have only shot once or twice. I have never been to a range before this, other than a gun club back east and it was more like a group of friends.

Anyway, for a first timer, WOW!! Lots of people! Most of the stations were full almost all the time! I had a little problem with staying back from the bench when it was a clear time, I would be reading something and wander near and get the "get back from the bench" I eventually learned.

Wasnt too bad though! I met a lot of friendly people there and got some useful info on things I had questions on. At one point, I looked around and it was at least 80% black rifles out there, maybe more. I brought a lot of stuff I have never had the chance to shoot since I moved here, didnt get any of them dialed in, but it was still fun. Checked my new build, AR, and it shot fine, still waiting on my scope, but I wanted to test it anyway.

Only thing I thought, shotgun throw area is a little tight together. It would have been nice if they were about another 3 feet apart. I also thought that at the rifle area too, but I got used to it. Wierd to me to be shooting 2 feet from someone else.

All in all it was a learning experience and I had fun. Next time I am only bringing a couple of guns and getting them dialed in, then switch out on the next trip.

I would go back, no problems at all, talked with the range guy and he was fine too, very helpful on questions I had. Everyone was. Good day!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

I've been shooting there every sunday for about 30 years now.
All the 100,200,300 yard benches under the roof are now concrete and sturdy.
They recently installed a baffle over the entire range to prevent bullets from escaping.
If you follow the rules you won't have any problems at all and you will enjoy your experience.
If you want to go near the benches while shooters are down range you will hear about it.
Also you can't bring guns to the line or leave the line with guns while on a ceasefire.
Those two problems seem to be the most common.
If you shoot there often and have a decent attitude you will get invited to other shooting venues that most will never hear about.
We shoot 600 and 1000 yard matches as well 30 minutes away but you need to be invited to participate.
I won't be there this sunday as I'll be shooting a longrange match but look for the gmc truck covered in bedliner on sundays.
Old 02-05-2013, 2:19 PM

Yea I enjoyed it. That was my first ever range experience and the amount of people shooting together was new for me. I thought the rules were fine, The problem was me forgetting to stay back from the line a couple of times. I would walk over to grab something or other and didnt think. But, I learned and its no problem, well..... other than I need more practice.
Old 02-05-2013, 4:47 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yeah that place is alright. Several years ago they used to be unsure about black rifles showing up, but they have since got with the program. I usually go around 3pm on sunday because place starts clearing out and I don't end up dumping casings on my neighbor, but there is usually a cross wind by the afternoon so don't show up that late if you are out there challenging yourself for tight groups.

Watch out after it rains cause the field gets pretty muddy. I wear hiking boots if it has rained within the last week lol. All in all a good place to sight in or relax.

The new baffle installed across the range is annoying because you can no longer stand and shoot, but that is a fairly minor gripe. My understanding is Marin county made them add it.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.

Last edited by stix213; 02-05-2013 at 4:49 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 4:51 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr16o49 View Post
Yea I enjoyed it. That was my first ever range experience and the amount of people shooting together was new for me. I thought the rules were fine, The problem was me forgetting to stay back from the line a couple of times. I would walk over to grab something or other and didnt think. But, I learned and its no problem, well..... other than I need more practice.
I usually grab a box of ammo and stand back loading mags while they check chambers before letting people go down range. Gives me something to do instead of wanting to mess with my gun

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.