Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned

Default Expiration Date

when i buy organic peanut butter (in a glass jar) it says "Sell by" a certain date.

lets say, the 'sell by' date is 1/1/14. does that mean the peanut butter is only edible until that date?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM

No it does not. Every food item now has to have a sell by date (look at a jar of 100% natural honey - it never goes bad). A lot of food items will last far beyond there sell by date depending on how they are kept.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM

sell by does not generally mean expires by.

milk says "Sell by" on it but i've drank it a couple weeks after if i have kept it cold enough or unopened.

i'm not sure how "Safe" organic peanut butter is compared to regular peanut butter however i've eaten peanut butter a year or more after the date stamp on it. it just tastes dry and funny.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonboy221 View Post
when i buy organic peanut butter (in a glass jar) it says "Sell by" a certain date.

lets say, the 'sell by' date is 1/1/14. does that mean the peanut butter is only edible until that date?
No.

'Sell by' is some period before 'best if used by'; 'best used by' is some period before 'ack, you'll die!'.

For example, milk is sell-dated so stores will rotate their stock; with ordinary storage and care, milk should be fine for at least a week past the 'sell by' date. Sometimes it'll be OK longer, sometimes a bit less.

Canned goods are probably safe at any age, if the containers are not rusted or leaking, bulged or dented, and don't release pressurized gas that smells like decay.

http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.
Old 01-14-2013, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonboy221 View Post

If you buy a gallon of milk with a sell by date of 1/14/2013, it does not mean that you must drink if before the end of the day. It is the stores way of knowing that in most cases, it will be used up before it can go sour.

It is all simply guesswork on the part of the USDA and its state counterparts.

Then again, I have bought milk a couple of times that was well under its sell by date, and it was sour and curdled when opened (immediately returned for refund).

There have been cans that were sitting in a museum unopened from an artic expidition for approx 100 years. They opened the cans, and the food was tested. It had about the same nutritional value as freshly canned food of the same type as sold today. It did not have any bad organisms growing in it.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 01-14-2013, 9:20 AM

I heard a whole story about those "expiration dates" on NPR. There was a science lab that tested canned foods that we're 40-100 years old.

The bottom line of the story, is those "sell by" or "best if used by" dates are not EXPIRATION dates, rather they are used by the company to maintain their product integrity. Many foods last 10 times those dates, but the manufacturer wants it's product to TASTE the best it possible can, thus keeping a good reputation for the product.

The worst case they found about the old food was it had lost flavor and nutritional value but it wasn't dangerous. Believe it or not they even discussed dairy products being safe pretty far beyond expiration dates. They said sure they smell bad and that curdled stench isn't appetizing but it's not dangerous.

I think they specifically found a can of oysters from a sea wreck that was 100 years old, crazy!!
Old 01-14-2013, 1:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Expiration and sell by dates are also on the conservative side. Librarian's advice is the best: Never eat buldging or rusted cans of food. Even if before the expiration date.
There's debate about just dented cans that aren't buldging still being good. But unless your life depends on it, best to steer clear of any can not in good condition.

Pure honey is a unique item too (in reference to the earlier post - baz is right). Honey doesn't go bad but I have seen jars of pure honey with sell by dates.
We've actually found edible sealed honey combs in tombs in Egypt (google if you don't believe me) .
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 01-14-2013, 3:30 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Honey has a neat feature, probably shared with salt - if anything living gets into it, the water in its cell/cells is drawn out so the critter dies.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.