Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs down Brentwood armory

This place is by far one of the most dishonest dealers I have ever dealt with. I placed a gun on consignment with a minimum contract price, and was told the gun would be displayed at a higher price. If it sold for the higher price they were honest and would pay me that less their commission. A few days go by and they call me to come in and sign the paperwork that the gun had sold. When I arrived at the shop I asked what it sold for and was told it sold for the higher price no questions asked. I could come back in 11 days and they would cut me a check. Today I go in and low and behold the price the gun sold for was now less than I was told by the person who sold it. So instead of getting a check for what I was told, it turns out to be much lower. The owner then accuses me of wanting to renege on the contract when I questioned them about it. They would not let me see the sales receipt showing the sales price, it just seems dishonest, and poor customer service to say the least.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Wow scum bags

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY
Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

While that really blows, there's an old saying that comes to mind:

"If you have it in writing, you have a prayer. It's it's verbal, all you have is hot air!"

You can write a scathing comment on Yelp and call the BBB if you feel like it.

Not willing to show you the receipt of sale really sounds shady!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-12-2013, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

What did the contract say? I ask because it should be pretty clear as to who is in the wrong here. I've been into the shop before as a buyer and haven't sold anything there, but would be curious to know what their consignment contract says. They've taken care of me as a buyer and I've enjoyed having a good local shop.

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns (some off-roster), C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 01-12-2013, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

Fair ok, contract says 20% commission on sellers asking price. The asking price was $650, with a minimum of $550, so that they would have room to negotiate, or so I was told. Yeah my bad for taking them at their word when they told me that if it sells for more than the minimum they cut me a check for that amount. My biggest issue is that I was told it sold for $650 the day it sold, and 12 days later it was $550, not that big a deal really, until they would not show a sales receipt to me. When I assume the owner started getting defensive about me questioning the difference, and mentioning that I would spread the word among people I know how they burned me, he seemed to come unglued suggesting that I was threatening him.
Maybe it is all a misunderstanding or maybe they just need to get their story straight, either way when an employee tells you one price my merchandise sold for, and the owners tell me something different, it just doesn't seem quite right. It was after all my merchandise, should I not be allowed to see the sale price?
Old 01-12-2013, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

DUPE
Old 01-12-2013, 4:28 PM

at $650, seller's cut at 20% is $130
at $550, seller's cut at 20% is $110

If it was sold for 650 indeed, but told you it was for 550, seller could pocket an extra 20 in commission.
Old 01-12-2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta929mm View Post

If it was sold for 650 indeed, but told you it was for 550, seller could pocket an extra 20 in commission.
wrong.... seller pockets the extra $100.... if seller is honest, he only gets +$20
Old 01-12-2013, 5:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Greed is a funny thing. This guy's soul sold for $20?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrpe View Post
Greed is a funny thing. This guy's soul sold for $20?
No,$80.Those things aren't cheap.
Old 01-13-2013, 7:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So you wanted to sell the firearm for 550... and he sold it for 650.

You still need to provide us with the actual wording for the contract.

Your side of the story is, he gets 20% of the price it sells for and he is refusing to allow you to see what he in fact sold it for.

His side (without him being here) is that he gets get 20% of what YOU wanted, and can keep any extra he makes off the deal.

So if he sold it for $1,000 he would give you a check for $550 - 20% and keep the rest...which is how I have always thought consignments worked.

I understand you "thought" it was different. Or that you believe someone told you something different...

I am backing you on this only because the FFL was unwilling to show you the sales receipt which means he has something to hide. If he was so sure he conducted himself properly, then he wouldn't have any problem showing you what amount was paid for the firearm.

As of right now, I think he is a crook, but you share some of the blame for this as well... sorta like a girl who dates a known wife-beater, then gets upset for getting beat up. Buyer beware in California and what the contract says is what happens.

If you can show that contract says he only gets 20% of the actual sale amount, then he must show you what it sold for..period. You can take him to small claims and report him to the ATF for fraudulent business practices. While they can't do anything about it, believe me they like to know about these things...where there is smoke there is fire.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I've already admitted I screwed up, my problem is an integrity issue. Maybe I'm just too old school you know where a man's word was his bond. If someone tells me that they will pay based upon the sales price, telling me that they are honest dealers. I foolishly took him at his word since he is one of the owners. So yeah my mistake for believing his word that he was honest and expecting that he would stand by what he told me.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted after all, and all I'm trying to do is keep someone else from having the experience I got. You know learn from others mistakes type of thing.
Old 01-13-2013, 5:57 PM

I'm glad to have a local shop. Their prices aren't the lowest, but they do have to make a living. I can live with higher prices and will pay them to keep a local shop in business. What I'll not stand for is arrogant attitude, lack of integrity, 'I'm doing you a favor by selling this to you' behavior. I'm sure hoping they turn out OK. We'll see.
Old 01-19-2013, 6:43 PM

The guys in the store are cool but I've seen the Facebook page come at people the wrong way. When your a business you don't attack people on social networks, it makes you look unprofessional. My biggest problem with then was them trying to charge me $150 to have their gun smith assemble my lower reciever alone when antioch armory offered to build it for $30 and have me their hands on so I could learn. Again the guys their are cool but should learn to keep their tempers off social network and let the critics criticize. No matter you will have some customers that aren't happy with your services but you don't need to put them on blast on Facebook ad get in arguments with them. As a customer who has spent almost a couple o grand there I woul really like to see that stop. Their cool guys but when I hear **** like this I can defiantly see them doing this. I love having the armory in brentwood but please stop your rants on unhappy customers on social networks
Old 01-20-2013, 5:48 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I've already admitted I screwed up, my problem is an integrity issue. Maybe I'm just too old school you know where a man's word was his bond. If someone tells me that they will pay based upon the sales price, telling me that they are honest dealers. I foolishly took him at his word since he is one of the owners. So yeah my mistake for believing his word that he was honest and expecting that he would stand by what he told me.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted after all, and all I'm trying to do is keep someone else from having the experience I got. You know learn from others mistakes type of thing.
Did you claim to be a cop and are you not a cop? Just curious.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM

You should of sold it here as a ppt and then you are able to keep all the money. They treated me good, when I bought a glock they try to price match. Take care of the customer within reason and they will take care of the business.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:35 PM

I was in the shop once, their prices are too high and their selection is poor. I inquired once what the PPT fee was , and they quoted me $75! Needless to say I wont be back.
Old 02-01-2013, 2:38 PM

the PPT fee is only $35, But if you buy and have it shipped it is $75 plus dros. They must of misunderstood your question. Most dealers charge $100+$25 dros for shipping. They always treat me good,they are good guys and will work with you. But they do need to make a living also.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

I would never buy from them I see their prices are crazy and they think they're doing us a favor, but thanks for the heads up I definitely will be taking my business else were seeing the lack of respect to a customer/ future customers. Bottum line wrong is wrong and the fact he wouldnt show u the paperwork on how much it was sold for tells you that they are shady. Tater313 I know if that were u that got ripped off and lied too you wouldn't be standing up for them.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta929mm View Post

Plus the $100.00 he could be screwing the OP out of. If he were an ethical businessman, he would have no issue showing the receipt.

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.

Last edited by Aldemar; 02-13-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 1:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Do you have the copy of the contract? Scan it and show us.

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Old 02-13-2013, 2:20 PM

Some people think its OK to swindle people out of money.
Old 02-14-2013, 5:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPC View Post
Some people think its OK to swindle people out of money.
and some people think its ok to falsely accuse other people of swindling when they infact just don't understand the deal they agreed on...

There is a reason the OP has never posted a scan of the contract. He knows now the FFL did exactly what the contract said.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM

Default Tough times to be a gun store owner

We live in Brentwood and have done a fair amount of business through Brentwood Armory. We did so because the other two stores in the local area were becoming arrogant and very unfriendly.

I have not always seen eye-to-eye with the team at BA, however they will listen to a customer complaint and make changes. I have seen it happen. While I am against trashing critics on social media, this is pretty common with the "younger" generation. The key thing is I believe these guys can learn from mistakes and misperceptions.

It is a tough time to be a gun store owner, and the desire to make as much money as one can while one can is very tempting- and can cause store owners to think of short term gains not long term customer success. We sure hope that doesn't happen at BA. These guys are still learning the ropes of business and gun store business, so I trust that we can cut them a bit of slack but also be honest with them. The doors haven't even been open a year yet, they aren't going to get it perfect for a while.

People are also human, and while I don't doubt something happened here that shouldn't have happened, if we lose our cool and start pushing back in a threatening way, people will dig in their heels and be obstinate even if doing so is wrong.

I will personally take this to the team at BA and see if it can be rectified. We don't need to lose any more gunstores.
Old 03-14-2013, 5:54 PM

I've been a customer at BA and have had nothing but great service at good prices, I have also consigned a piston with them and the contract was easy to understand. I will definitely keep shopping there. Sorry to read about this bad experience. Its nice to have a good local shop around!
Old 03-14-2013, 6:24 PM

IMO the BA emplyees/owner should have went over the consignment contract with the seller. If that did not reassure the seller then show the Man/Women the selling receipt. After all the firearm is still in their name, they atleast have that right. I have noticed going to different Gun Shops ranging from Vallejo to Tracy (Once again IN MY OPINION) I have seen and felt like a problem to the employees. Theres no need to slander specific shops but I spent over 3-4k in a 2 month time frame just to be treated like garbage. Needless to say I have'nt been back since. I never realized how hard it would be to accept my money, but I guess these shops do not need my funds so I use Calguns! I preffer Calguns to any shop that I have dealt with because the people on here are avereage Joes or Jose's like me. Anyways I guess I'm just venting now. Take care to all and remember to pay close attn. to any contract. After all it is a binding document. Just makes me sad to see quite a few shops acting like USED CAR SALESMAN'S!
Old 03-14-2013, 7:02 PM

Thanks.

$1 or $20, it's how they treat their customers.

I am not going there.

Old 03-14-2013, 7:08 PM

I don't see the problem with the dealer showing the seller the reciept.
Old 03-14-2013, 7:23 PM

Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

Are they still charging .75rd for 9mm? Seemed a little steep but that's just me.
Old 03-14-2013, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Hmmm... Marketplace here in CG is a place to be.. At least have some kind of a control over the situation..

"its hard to face the problem if the problem is your face"
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Did you claim to be a cop and are you not a cop? Just curious.
And the plot thickens....
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank 57 View Post
No,$80.Those things aren't cheap.
You got a soul for $80 bucks? Wow I feel cheated, the last one I bought cost me $95. Of course that was during the panic.
😈
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Why would you not try and sell it right here on calguns, i don't understand why you would even entertain selling it via consignment at a gun store.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
And the plot thickens....
Sorry no plot twist here. Unless they made an assumption that I was still working when I said it was a FORMER duty weapon, or they may have seen my ID when I gave them my DL. I don't claim to be something I haven't been, since I was told I was too broken to continue working.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship View Post
Why would you not try and sell it right here on calguns, i don't understand why you would even entertain selling it via consignment at a gun store.
Exactly

"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals." -Jeff Snyder

"I will be spending the weekend studying...oh, and paying my taxes so they can continue to keep us safe from zombies, ghosts and goblins."

Ollshooter32
[/I]
Old 04-04-2013, 8:58 AM

There's 3 sides to every story: His side, our side & the truth. Not going to spend too much time on this subject but I will tell our side of the story. We have a signed, signed, signed, signed, did I say signed consignment contract with Richard. It clearly states what we agreed to sell his firearm for and what he stated he needed for it. I want to post an image of the contract on here for all members to see that Richard signed the contract and was paid EXACTLY what he asked for in the contract he signed.

Now, let's talk about dishonesty. Richard after making a complete fool of himself, screaming using profanity while two families with their children were in our showroom was asked to leave when we cut him a business check for the EXACT amount he agreed on in the consignment contract. Richard made claims being a LEO for San Mateo County SO and said he was going to bad mouth us to all his fellow officers. We have these comments and actions on our video system. I asked Richard to produce his credentials to prove he was a LEO and he couldn't do it........ We followed up with San Mateo SO and San Mateo PD, to our surprise Richard wasn't an LEO with either Department. Now, that being said, who is acting honestly here??? Any of you members would like to see the contract, I can fax or email to you directly. I don't think its fair for you to attack us and call us names without hearing our side of the story 1st. I'm a former Marine and I conduct our business with the same integrity that was instilled in me in the Marine Corps.

Social Media: Yes, I do agree with some of you. We do let the little haters get to us at times and it really annoys us. Working on getting better at that. So, I do apologies about our actions at times on FB.

If any Cal Gunners want to talk about this situation please feel free to give us a call at the shop.

As always since we opened, we have offered discounts for former Military & LE.
Old 04-04-2013, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Think I just saw a little ownage...

Great to hear the other side. Thanks Brentwood.

Semper Fi.

-hanko

Originally Posted By System Message:
Why can't you guys participate in a simple discussion about some guy's mom making a porno without violating the COC? This is why we can't have nice things.

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 04-04-2013, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry no plot twist here. Unless they made an assumption that I was still working when I said it was a FORMER duty weapon, or they may have seen my ID when I gave them my DL. I don't claim to be something I haven't been, since I was told I was too broken to continue working.
You did make claims you were an active LE with San Mateo SO. There were 6people in the showroom that heard you make those claims......so, I guess they aren't truthful as well. Man up partner and admit when you make a mistake and being untruthful.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Reads like there was an attempt at renegotiation of the contract that went bad on the final selling price of the gun.