Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-31-2013, 2:15 PM

Can a non CA Shield be made into a SSE legal model? Legally it can I get that, I just need to know if its technically possible and that there are gunsmiths in CA who would do it since the one in the sticky only did a 40 and wont do anymore..if he did any. I only ask as I just got one and I have no idea if I'll keep it or decide its not for me. I just want to know the legal/tech end first. I'm not trying to do any selling, just want to know the feasibility if I want to sell it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by gfanikf; 01-31-2013 at 2:21 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 2:22 PM

It doesn't have to be converted to SSE for private party sales, only dealer sales.

So, if you get a roster-exempt handgun via SSE that is otherwise legal in California, you can sell it to someone else via PPT without an issue.
Old 01-31-2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueMan View Post
It doesn't have to be converted to SSE for private party sales, only dealer sales.

So, if you get a roster-exempt handgun via SSE that is otherwise legal in California, you can sell it to someone else via PPT without an issue.
Right, but I live in PA so (to the best of my knowledge) cannot sell it to a non LEO unless it has the SSE process done, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-31-2013, 3:56 PM

Default PPT of SSE used to avoid any reference of SSE?

When an SSE pistol is sold by a FFL, would the paperwork indicate that it is a SSE? If so, after an SSE is converted back to it's original state and is later sold via a PPT, would the paperwork still include any reference that it used to be a SSE?

Objective: Have a friend purchase pistol in SSE form, change to orignal state, and then do a PPT to avoid any reference that it used to be a SSE. Is this possible or is their a better way?
Old 01-31-2013, 4:25 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The big problem with an SSE Shield, is the regular Shields are in short supply also.
COTEP #227

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 01-31-2013, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legasat View Post
The big problem with an SSE Shield, is the regular Shields are in short supply also.
Remember when Budsgunshop had them in stock for 3 minutes this week....I got lucky.
Old 01-31-2013, 5:29 PM

Bought one yesterday that my wife found at the LGS. It had been sitting there for quite a while but I'm also able to buy the Non-CA version haha.
( just rubbing it in.... )

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-01-2013, 4:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

AGAIN! This thread was created for info and updates for those who have pre-ordered the CA version Shield. NOBODY CARES if you have or have purchased a Non-CA version or SSE.
Old 02-01-2013, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstites711 View Post
AGAIN! This thread was created for info and updates for those who have pre-ordered the CA version Shield. NOBODY CARES if you have or have purchased a Non-CA version or SSE.
A little touchy are we? No worries man, your Shield should be here by the end of the year....
Old 02-01-2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigxjake View Post
Bought one yesterday that my wife found at the LGS. It had been sitting there for quite a while but I'm also able to buy the Non-CA version haha.
( just rubbing it in.... )

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
A little touchy are we? No worries man, your Shield should be here by the end of the year....
Old 02-02-2013, 7:22 AM

I am under the weather so yes a little touchy, but I believe there is a thread dedicated to those who feel they must brag about their new guns. Im just trying to post useful info that will help others who are frustrated with the delay.
Old 02-02-2013, 7:23 AM

Was that touchy too?
Old 02-02-2013, 9:39 AM

Quote:
I am under the weather so yes a little touchy, but I believe there is a thread dedicated to those who feel they must brag about their new guns. Im just trying to post useful info that will help others who are frustrated with the delay.
I agree. It is a little frustrating to log on and see that there has been a new post on this thread, only to click on it and find that there is no new or helpful information at all but only someone describing his experience with a non-California version. But, what are you gonna do?
Old 02-02-2013, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

You sir, have made a great point as far as what this thread was started for! I am probably one of the guilty parties and if I've offended anyone, I would like to make a blanket apology to one and all.

I really do hope that everyone that has had one on pre-order will receive their's soon. It truly is a fun little shooter. ( Not bragging.....)
Old 02-03-2013, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

It looks like stores are getting shipments in. A store in Dallas got 60 of them in and sold out within 48 hours. They seem to be straight off the assembly line practically with the spent casings having a firing date of mid-January of this year.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...mms-today.html

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 02-03-2013, 7:38 PM

Great info! Thanks Safewaysecurity
Old 02-05-2013, 9:17 PM

By the time we all get our shields, the 2014 shot will be here with an update on the next greatest thing that we can lust over, but never have.....I don't remember seeing anything in the 2nd amendment regarding a roster!!!
Seriously.....I'm over it!!

Sorry guys....had to vent....
Old 02-06-2013, 6:29 AM

Just to keep everyone's rays of hope alive, the standard model Shield instruction manual has a section on "LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR" (pages 14 and 15) and "MAGAZINE DISCONNECT" (page 29).
Old 02-06-2013, 5:25 PM

Called turners again today. They still don't have any updates.
Old 02-06-2013, 5:29 PM

I had just bought this one on Gunbroker from Faith Armory then went to pay for it and noticed it was for LE only doh! No biggie though I paid their relisting fees and its back up for sale again.

Anyone who is LE here ya go.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=328787491

Still looking for one..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM

Great, now they say "Estimated Availability - TO BE DETERMINED". We're never getting them.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Old 02-21-2013, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
Great, now they say "Estimated Availability - TO BE DETERMINED". We're never getting them.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
SSE.....NOW.
Old 02-21-2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
SSE.....NOW.
Who is willing to do an M&P9 Shield SSE?
Old 02-21-2013, 5:19 PM

^^^
It's not just a matter of willing, it also appears to be an issue of supply. The non-Cali version is hard to find, too.
Old 02-21-2013, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

Man, if this drought continues, I may have to become a capitalist pig and put my Shield up for a pretty penny....
Old 02-21-2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Man, if this drought continues, I may have to become a capitalist pig and put my Shield up for a pretty penny....
Don't do it!!! You may never see one again.
If you want to be a capitalist pig, go to 44mag.com and buy all of the S&W M&P .40 full size magazine they have left for $39.99 and sell them on ebay for $80 to $100. I did think about it but I figure we need to allow others to share in the good fortune of, for now at least, someone having these mags for a reasonable price.
Old 02-21-2013, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
Don't do it!!! You may never see one again.
If you want to be a capitalist pig, go to 44mag.com and buy all of the S&W M&P .40 full size magazine they have left for $39.99 and sell them on ebay for $80 to $100. I did think about it but I figure we need to allow others to share in the good fortune of, for now at least, someone having these mags for a reasonable price.
I hear ya brother. I'd hate to own the Cali version...it's fugly with the "rooster comb".

It's not like I'm ever gonna get a CCP where I live, so having it for carrying is not a factor. I bought it on a whim, thought my wife would like it, she's like...eh, it's ok. To tell the truth, I'd rather have a full size M&P 9mm. I'll keep the Shield and I'll just save to get one.
Old 02-21-2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
I hear ya brother. I'd hate to own the Cali version...it's fugly with the "rooster comb".

It's not like I'm ever gonna get a CCP where I live, so having it for carrying is not a factor. I bought it on a whim, thought my wife would like it, she's like...eh, it's ok. To tell the truth, I'd rather have a full size M&P 9mm. I'll keep the Shield and I'll just save to get one.
I'll trade you my M&P40FS for your Shield.
Old 02-21-2013, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559luke View Post
I'll trade you my M&P40FS for your Shield.
And what else? Sorry, but I've been offered $750 cash and turned that down. Not trying to be a dick, but it's gonna take more than a 40, which I don't reload for, to tempt me.
Old 02-21-2013, 8:29 PM

/hijack alert

For all of us regular people (non-LEO), that are on waiting lists for CA compliant Shields that will likely not come until late this year (forget the hype, reality is late this year).... I have looked at all avalailble options for the regular guy like me.

1. Intra-familial transfer of a non-roster. Doesn't help me, I have no grandparent by blood living in a another state. Plus, the law says specifically says you can't have a relative straw purchase it for you just with the intent to immediately transfer to you.

2. SSE. Sure, the calguns wiki has a list of gunsmiths/gunshops that do SSE work, but none that I've contacted will do the Shield. The best I got was "if you can find a 10" barrel that will work in the .40 cal shield, we can probably do it, as long as you give us the barrel afterward". Good luck finding a 10" .40 cal barrel and if you do, it probably won't be economically feasible if you have to buy the 10" barrel. I think the likelihood of SSE'ing a .40cal shield is next to zero, in practical terms. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I've made the calls and talked to the shops, unlike a lot of the comments here assuming that because the wiki lists LGS's that do SSE work that its a given they will do it for a .40 cal Shield.

3. A California LEO purchases off-roster Shield, and point-to-point transfers to you. Frankly, this seems to me to be the likeliest method of getting a Shield for those like me that want one *now*. Non-CA Shields are starting to show up in stores, and there are tons on gunbroker everyday. IF you know a LEO, and can make an arrangement (i.e. I'll buy you a Shield Mr. LEO my friend and if you don't like it, I will take ownership from you via point-to-point transfer.".

My $0.02.

Last edited by repomanNWP; 02-21-2013 at 8:31 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
Who is willing to do an M&P9 Shield SSE?
I got my SSE Shield 9mm at PRK in Visalia. They also have a store in Fresno but I don't know their SSE Shield status. They get one or two in every couple of months or better so I was at the right place at the right time. Excellent folks to deal with.
Old 02-22-2013, 9:36 AM

Just called Turners in Rancho Cucamonga. Still no news, They said none of there stores have received any California Compliant Shields.
Old 02-22-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repomanNWP View Post
/hijack alert

3. A California LEO purchases off-roster Shield, and point-to-point transfers to you. Frankly, this seems to me to be the likeliest method of getting a Shield for those like me that want one *now*. Non-CA Shields are starting to show up in stores, and there are tons on gunbroker everyday. IF you know a LEO, and can make an arrangement (i.e. I'll buy you a Shield Mr. LEO my friend and if you don't like it, I will take ownership from you via point-to-point transfer.".

My $0.02.
Would it be that simple if I have LEO buddies, or are there other hoops to jump through?
Old 02-22-2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
Would it be that simple if I have LEO buddies, or are there other hoops to jump through?
Thats not considered a straw purchase?
Old 02-23-2013, 7:26 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, a straw purchase is where somebody legally purchases a gun to sell/give to a person who cannot legally possess it and does not do the paperwork of transferring ownership. There is nothing illegal about buying a non-CA listed gun from somebody that already possesses it, for now.

I am just hoping to get one with enough time to shoot it before they confiscate it. SSE looks a lot more attractive when you see that damn indicator, why did they have to make it so ugly? there's lots of guns out there with loaded chamber indicators that aren't fugly, it's like they're laughing at us. I've never taken a dremel to a handgun before but I'd do so before I even shot it with this thing.

Red
Old 02-23-2013, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, a straw purchase is where somebody legally purchases a gun to sell/give to a person who cannot legally possess it and does not do the paperwork of transferring ownership. There is nothing illegal about buying a non-CA listed gun from somebody that already possesses it, for now.

I am just hoping to get one with enough time to shoot it before they confiscate it. SSE looks a lot more attractive when you see that damn indicator, why did they have to make it so ugly? there's lots of guns out there with loaded chamber indicators that aren't fugly, it's like they're laughing at us. I've never taken a dremel to a handgun before but I'd do so before I even shot it with this thing.

Red
I must be ignorant but buying an off roster handgun with the intent to sell it to someone else seems like a bad idea. I'm not a lawyer so my opinion doesn't matter. I suppose they would have to prove the purchaser had intent to transfer when he bought it. I have an Leo friend who bought a PPQ and didn't like it and sold it to my brother a week later so it's possible.
Old 02-25-2013, 6:47 AM

Quote:
I pre-ordered one back in mid October 2012 at Turners in Rancho Cucamonga for $399. At the time of purchase I was told they would have it by late October 2012. Fast forward 3 months later and it is still not in. I have made a once a month call to Turners since then and have received the same answer every time. They have explained that S&W just started to make the California compliant version in December 2012 and that it should be in next month. Wondering if anyone else has any further info. Or if anyone has received their California Shield yet.

I pre-ordered for my California M&P Shield in July 2012 from Turners in Orange, still have not received it, spoke to Turners last week and they told me they have no idea when the M&P Shield's will be coming in.
Old 02-25-2013, 3:41 PM

I'm not a lawyer either, and my fictitious scenario of giving a LEO friend a gift to buy an off-roster handgun (that they can legally purchase), and then potentially transferring it to you only if they don't like it, may or may not be legal, I have no idea. The only thing I have seen, is related to intra-familial transfers, where the intent is specifically mentioned. You can't have a parent/grandparent out of state, purchase a firearm for you, just to do the intra-familial transfer to you.

What I would be more interested in knowing, is if a LEO (lets say municipal police officer like SDPD, or sheriff (like San Diego County deputy Sheriff) can simply purchase any off-roster handgun they want, at anytime, or, do they have to get approval from their chief, or does the purchase have to be related to what they carry?
Old 02-25-2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.custer View Post
I pre-ordered for my California M&P Shield in July 2012 from Turners in Orange, still have not received it, spoke to Turners last week and they told me they have no idea when the M&P Shield's will be coming in.
I'm noticing minute milling differences between the Cal version and the free world version. Where the word "UP" appears on the California version and just aft of the "P" on the slide below the red flag raising/lowering slot is cut square. On the off roster version, the cut is round and continues into the upper barrel to form a circular hole so you can look down into the chamber area and see whether or not a cartridge is in battery.
What are those two protrusions on the cambered slide rail in the blown up photo alongside the word "LOADED"? For those that purchase the Cal version and want to change it back to as close to normal as possible, has any after market manufacturer yet to come up with a resolve to eliminate the Calbastard parts?