Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-11-2013, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I would rather drink filtered purified pool water in SHTF and die of cancer in 30 years than die of thirst in 4 days.

FOR SALE 9mm FMJ ammo 1000 rounds
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1142181

FS - Remington Versa Max Tactical Fore end with quick connect for sling
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1124354
Old 01-11-2013, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
Can boil the water with only sunlight if you have a solar oven. Easy to make with a couple of carboard boxes, a piece of plexiglass, and a can of black spray paint.
dont even need to boil. we took green lake water. after 8 hours in the sun in bottles, all bacteria was killed or nuetralized.

Old 01-12-2013, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj View Post
Pool water has vastly higher concentrations of chlorine than tap water. Highly recommend distilling or purifying to safe drinking levels (google for info). Renal failure can't be fun.
Really...get your self a pool chemical test set and test your drinking water. We did this just for fun last year and was shocked to see the chlorine level of the faucet water register the same as the pools. We the put a filter containing charcoal on the faucet and re-tested. What a difference that filter made. I had no idea drinking water contained that much chlorine.
Old 01-12-2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd511 View Post
Really...get your self a pool chemical test set and test your drinking water. We did this just for fun last year and was shocked to see the chlorine level of the faucet water register the same as the pools. We the put a filter containing charcoal on the faucet and re-tested. What a difference that filter made. I had no idea drinking water contained that much chlorine.
It depends if you just shocked your pool or not. UV dissipates chlorine so you could put it in a bottle for a day with the top open and you would be fine. Or stop adding chlorine to the pool and in a few days all of it would be gone.
Quote:
"Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
Old 01-12-2013, 3:03 PM

I picked up a gravy fed water filter called AquaPail. The model I got for $150.00 claims to filter 1000 gals of all harmful contaminants. I was told the filter system is a must have for pool owners bugging in.
Old 01-12-2013, 3:07 PM

I picked up a gravy fed water filter called AquaPail. The model I got for $150.00 claims to filter 1000 gals of all harmful contaminants. I was told the filter system is a must have for pool owners bugging in.
Old 01-12-2013, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I would never drink pool water without either boiling first or filtering through one of those ceramic-type filters (like the Katadyns) that go down to 1 or 2 microns, to remove bacteria and pathogens.

Maintenance levels of chlorine are not an issue in a PROPERLY MAINTAINED pool, like somebody said above. 2- to 4ppm is not going to hurt you and is about what comes out of your tap. If you just SHOCKED the pool with chlorine, then yeah, I wouldn't treat/drink that without waiting a couple/few days for the chlorine to dissipate.

The only other concern I have with pool water is the mineral content (hardness). For example, unless I cover my pool in the summer, I lose about an inch of water a week to evaporation. That means I have to add a couple inches of water every couple of weeks in the summer.

When water evaporates from a pool, that's really no differerent from a distillation. In other words, all of the minerals that were originally IN the water that evaporated are left behind, in the remaining pool water. Over time, because you have to keep adding new water to the pool, your pool water becomes increasingly hard, or laden with minerals (calcium? lime? not sure what else... ).

The tap water here is really hard to begin with, so the pool loads up with minerals to the point where every year I have to empty about half my pool (which is 12.5K gallons full) and refill it with fresh water. Otherwise scale starts building up on the gunnite and tile at the water line.

I maintain mine fairly well. I just wonder if the super-high mineral content in a poorly-maintained pool would be bad for people if they relied on it for drinking for a long period.

I don't know.
Old 01-12-2013, 6:10 PM
Deemed Irrelevant
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
dont even need to boil. we took green lake water. after 8 hours in the sun in bottles, all bacteria was killed or nuetralized.
How were you sure of this?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm also closed septic and have submersible pump that can pump pool water into house and light up my facets and toilets. All I need is a 12v batter or my gen to run. I need to test it out. My pool is like 5 foot from house I'm sure it will work pumping it straight into the garden hose spickit.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoriousRacing View Post
How were you sure of this?
bacteria test kits. my teenager ( and me) did a science project)

If I had to drink mine ( I do all my ow pool cleaning and treatment. I would flter it it, boil it ( if I had propane left) and then solar treeat it. but if I had no other choice I would solar treat it onlt and drink it.

I have 6 to 8 months of bottled water for the family - the 25,000 gallon pool is just a bonus.

Last edited by Saym14; 01-13-2013 at 1:00 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 1:32 AM

i work at a public swimming pool. The only chemicals we put in it are

Chlorine, which will dissipate by the end of the day if the pumps fails. We try to keep levels between 1-5 ppm

Acid, which is used to control the PH levels

and Sodium bi-carbonate for alkalinity. Sodium bi-carbonate is just a fancy work for baking soda. I actually saw Sodium bi-carb as a listed ingredient on a bottle of water once.
Old 01-13-2013, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
The only other concern I have with pool water is the mineral content (hardness). For example, unless I cover my pool in the summer, I lose about an inch of water a week to evaporation. That means I have to add a couple inches of water every couple of weeks in the summer.

When water evaporates from a pool, that's really no differerent from a distillation. In other words, all of the minerals that were originally IN the water that evaporated are left behind, in the remaining pool water. Over time, because you have to keep adding new water to the pool, your pool water becomes increasingly hard, or laden with minerals (calcium? lime? not sure what else... ).

The tap water here is really hard to begin with, so the pool loads up with minerals to the point where every year I have to empty about half my pool (which is 12.5K gallons full) and refill it with fresh water. Otherwise scale starts building up on the gunnite and tile at the water line.
1 gallon of muriatic acid poured directly over the deepest part of the pool. Leave the water undisturbed for a few hours before normal filtration (and of course no swimming) Oddly enough this method also has essentially no effect on the overall pH of the water.

I filter using DE, I don't know if it works for other filtration methods. I mention it because it seems like I remember reading that it doesn't work with salt-water chlorination/sand filtration combination.

I do this about every six weeks from late spring through late summer. This has eliminated 99.9% of my water hardness issues; I too used to semi-drain/fill. Hard water makes for a terrible swimming experience, it makes your skin incredibly dry and itchy.