Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Address not on ID or other documents

I do not receive any mail at my home.

The DMV has both my street and PO Box, but per their own rules, they only list the PO Box on my Drivers License.

Utilities and vehicle registration all have my PO Box since no mail comes to my street address.

Some dealers are okay with copies of my property tax docs but some places simply have refused to sell to me claiming the law will not allow them to...

I now have a CCW which has my street address, so I think I'll be okay, but I have to believe I am not the only one in the same boat of not having any mail shipped to their home address, thus no address on any paperwork...

How are such people supposed to be able to purchase guns?

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway
Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I've never heard of a utility bill that didn't name the physical address even if they had the mailing address as a p.o. box. You can't live in a P.O. box. Vehicle reg. could have a p.o. box on it, but I'm surprised they put a P.O. box on your CDL. How did you show proof of residence to the S.O. that issued your CCW? Prop. tax doc?

- Alejandro Gillick
Old 12-23-2012, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
I've never heard of a utility bill that didn't name the physical address even if they had the mailing address as a p.o. box. You can't live in a P.O. box. Vehicle reg. could have a p.o. box on it, but I'm surprised they put a P.O. box on your CDL. How did you show proof of residence to the S.O. that issued your CCW? Prop. tax doc?
When one looks up my DL # on a LE computer, my understanding is the full record comes up - including my street address. My property tax documents list my physical address on it. I think my electric bill has my address somewhere on it, but the problem has been more than 50% of FFLs from whom I have tried to purchase from refuse these documents and insist my DL has to list my street address, but DMV refuses to do so.

I have to believe lots of other folks are in the same boat and am curious about how this is handled.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway
Old 12-23-2012, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps getting a California ID with your home address would help. You can have both a DL and ID.
Old 12-23-2012, 4:45 PM

If your California Driver's License has only the PO box you need form INF 1125 http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf1125.htm from the DMV. Fee is $5.00.... Go to the DMV and they will give you a print out with your street address on it. Be sure to tell them NOT to make any changes, you just need the print out.

With this form and your CA driver's license you should be good to go at the dealer.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:05 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
I do not receive any mail at my home.

The DMV has both my street and PO Box, but per their own rules, they only list the PO Box on my Drivers License.

Utilities and vehicle registration all have my PO Box since no mail comes to my street address.

Some dealers are okay with copies of my property tax docs but some places simply have refused to sell to me claiming the law will not allow them to...

I now have a CCW which has my street address, so I think I'll be okay, but I have to believe I am not the only one in the same boat of not having any mail shipped to their home address, thus no address on any paperwork...

How are such people supposed to be able to purchase guns?
Your CCW is good. The government doesn't matter how you have to purchase guns, they have their rules and you follow them or don't get a gun.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 01-04-2013, 8:27 AM

Actually, I'm facing this very problem right now: I recently moved, so my CDL has my old address on it, and all my utilities are through private companies (PG&E, Cal Water). The shop where I have a piece in jail says I need something from the Government with my current address on it to fulfill their record keeping requirements. I do not have a property tax bill, vehicle registration or anything like with the new address. I was able to dig up the Voter Guide from the November election, which fortunately made it to my new address -- I'm hoping that will do it, but failing that, I will try the DMV 1125 form.

Terry
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes, if your ID does not have your current address on it, the Federal requirement is that you have another government document with your address on it. The voter guide should be ok, which hopefully 10% (Wes) will respond to as he tends to have dealt with it quite a bit. Now, there could be an issue if it is a handgun since then you also get into CA requirements and it might need an expiration date.

You should be able to get a wood cutting permit or other permit from the NFS as well.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM

The CA DMV prints your mailing address on your license, thus you PO box on it. You cannot have a PO box on your DL unless it's accompanied by a residential address in the system. Go get your print out and that should suffice along with your current DL.

www.KEOKEphotography.com
www.precisiontrackdays.com
www.sacramentoridersforum.com
Old 01-23-2013, 7:25 PM

Follow-up: The shop was not happy with the voter guide (did not say why). What they asked me to do is print out my change of address page from the DVM website AND print out the confirmation page that it was processed. I did that and with the utility bill, they were happy.

Did a transfer at another shop, and they were happy with just the utility bill.

Terry
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

If your ID does not have your current residence address, then the Feds require a government document, which unless your utility bill is a government utility, it would not be acceptable for the Feds, but would be acceptable for CA. So, the other ship could have an issue.

It could be that the voter guide is over the time limit and it is not dated, nor does it expire. I would like to know Wes' opinion on that since he is the one who knows that area quite well.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein