Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-13-2013, 5:20 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Default Processing Olives for Oil?

Has anyone here milled/pressed their own olives for oil? I planted some trees and would like to make use of whatever they produce.

The commercial equipment I see is extremely expensive. I thought I could rig up a simple shop press for squeezing, but need to grind them first.

Will a typical hand-cranked meat grinder handle the pits? I would like to utilize what I already have.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 04-13-2013, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
Has anyone here milled/pressed their own olives for oil? I planted some trees and would like to make use of whatever they produce.

The commercial equipment I see is extremely expensive. I thought I could rig up a simple shop press for squeezing, but need to grind them first.

Will a typical hand-cranked meat grinder handle the pits? I would like to utilize what I already have.
Used a commercial garbage disposal before, i think you will twist the handle of a meat grinder trying to grind pits
Old 04-13-2013, 6:56 AM

This is the highly recommended oil press, unfortunately it doesn't do fresh olives:

From Piteba's FAQ:
15. Can I also press olives with the Piteba oil press?
No, fresh olives cannot be pressed. It is possible to press the dried olives (without kernel).

To do fresh olives, I assume you'd have to use something like a cider press or something similar for olives.
Old 04-13-2013, 7:24 AM

Family was just over in Italy for a while and from what I gathered the Olive processing equipment is communal or maybe time share among all the growers in the area, they make appointments and arrive to process their oil at a certain day/time. Just thought I'd throw out what may be an option.
Old 04-13-2013, 7:29 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post
This is the highly recommended oil press, unfortunately it doesn't do fresh olives
I saw a video of somebody pressing olives with one of those, but the olives had already been pitted.

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 04-13-2013, 7:35 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
Family was just over in Italy for a while and from what I gathered the Olive processing equipment is communal or maybe time share among all the growers in the area, they make appointments and arrive to process their oil at a certain day/time. Just thought I'd throw out what may be an option.
Yes, there are certainly a lot of olive oil producers in this immediate area both large and small. I will ask around.

I would only be doing a very small quantity, probably not even worth the setup time on commercial equipment. Maybe someone nearby has a smaller setup I could rent some time on.

Old 04-13-2013, 1:56 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
Yes, there are certainly a lot of olive oil producers in this immediate area both large and small. I will ask around.

I would only be doing a very small quantity, probably not even worth the setup time on commercial equipment. Maybe someone nearby has a smaller setup I could rent some time on.
http://www.pacificsunoliveoil.com/cu...ling-bottling/