Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Default Democrat point man on gun control, doesn't know the law!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-on-the-issue/

excerpt
-------------------------------
The Californian picked to lead congressional Democrats' efforts on gun control says the positions held by some gun rights advocates are unnecessarily divisive, and that government action should go beyond simply outlawing certain weapons.

"I think assault weapons are a pox on the home of every gun owner," Rep. Mike Thompson said Saturday on CNN.
----------------------------------------

This turkey actually claimed on the video segment that the fine for violating the three round rule when hunting migratory birds was higher than the fine for violating machinegun regulations!

Get ready for more of the big-lie technique when these bastards push the latest round of gun-control.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM

He carried an AR15 in Nam? Interesting......
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMASTR View Post
Some early M16s were marked AR-15 by Colt.
"It is a ghastly but tenable proposition that the world is now ruled by the insane, whose increasing plurality will, in a few more generations, make probable the incarceration of all sane people born among them."--Clark Ashton Smith
"Every time a pro-terrorist Tranzi hangs, an angel gets his wings."--Tom Kratman
Old 01-06-2013, 1:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm a gun owner but...

I think there is a generational thing going on. There seem to be a lot of vietnam era vets that dont get AR15's and have no desire to own one (my FIL excepted ). Although I doubt many would call to ban them. I'd like to see the gap between pre and post 9/11 vets and their counterparts from veitnam era.

Now an M14 on the othe hand.... I suppose its the wood stock...
Old 01-06-2013, 1:11 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMASTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Connors View Post
yup, they sure did.
check out this thread for some photographic examples.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=23&t=351482

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-06-2013, 1:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPedroShooter View Post
I'm a gun owner but...

I think there is a generational thing going on. There seem to be a lot of vietnam era vets that dont get AR15's and have no desire to own one (my FIL excepted ). Although I doubt many would call to ban them. I'd like to see the gap between pre and post 9/11 vets and their counterparts from veitnam era.

Now an M14 on the othe hand.... I suppose its the wood stock...
I'm a member of the generation you speak of. I've never liked the M16/AR15 platform because of two reasons... 1) I find the sound of the recoil buffer spring very distracting under my cheek and 2) when ever I fire one, my eyes invariably get burned from the gas system. In my case, it has nothing to do with the fact the M14 had a wood stock. That wood stock bruised the hell out of my cheekbone but that I could live with. I qualified as Expert with both weapons (1 w/M14, 5 x w/M16) during my service.

Banning a firearm because of the way it looks or because I don't like it is just plain stupid. But then, I tend to be an opinionated ol' cuss!

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale
Old 01-06-2013, 1:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

its sad that many people still don't understand what is coming at us...
Old 01-06-2013, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

^^^^ like he said.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 01-06-2013, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So, let me get this straight. The House minority has setup their own taskforce, and completely stacked the deck with members with well known ant-gun views.

Unfortunately I do not see them proposing anything other than furthering the Democratic party-platform of disarming the populace, one piece of legislation at a time. There will be no real innovative discussion, only talking-heads lecturing to those who actually are proposing a different tact.

Dealing with the crazies, allowing effective school-based security will not even be allowed on the table with this group. The overwhelming statistics about how an armed populace reduces crime, well those are not to be even considered.

A true taskforce would have members from all parties, look at the situation in a rational matter, listen to all viewpoints, and not have such a pre-determined outcome.

The part we need to do is ensure that the other side of the isle does not fall for their proposals, or make a deal.

"Freedom is always just one generation away from extinction. We don't pass it to our children in the bloodstream; we have to fight for it and protect it, and then hand it to them so that they shall do the same, or we're going to find ourselves spending our sunset years telling our children and our children's children about a time in America, back in the day, when men and women were free." - Ronald Reagan, 1961

Last edited by CycloSteve; 01-06-2013 at 2:40 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Damn those assault magazines!
Old 01-06-2013, 2:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Connors View Post
From what I read on wikipedia about the development of the M-16, very few of these rifles marked as M-15's were actually sent to Vietnam and those that did make it there were sent in the early 1960's (1,010 according to the article). According to Wikipedia, Thompson was born January 24, 1951 and served in the US Army in 1969 - 1972 with the 173rd Airborne Brigade. Per Wiki, the 173rd was in Vietnam from 1965 to 1971. In the 1969 to 1971 time frame, "the unit then served in An Khe until mid-1969, seeing little in the way of heavy fighting. From April 1969 until its withdrawal from Vietnam in 1971, the brigade served in Binh Dinh Province." (wikipedia) I have no idea how Army supply worked in those days but I would imagine they issues rifles when they arrived in country. Considering the problems they had with the M-16, particularly in the the early days, I'd be very surprised if they were still issuing AR-15's in 1969-1971. But it is possible, I guess.

Regardless, this Vietnam vet should know the difference between the M-16's issued in Vietnam and the AR-15's sold in the USA. So, either he is ignorant or he's a liar.

Another point... The article states he "Thompson was a staff sergeant in the Army". He made Staff Sergeant/Platoon Sergeant with 3 years of service with the Airborne?! That seems incredible to me!

edit... according to http://www.politico.com/arena/bio/re..._thompson.html he also served as an instructor at the Army's Airborne school.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale

Last edited by drdarrin@sbcglobal.net; 01-06-2013 at 2:34 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 01-06-2013, 2:35 PM

Does anyone think we are going to have a discussion on this issue? What we will have is a lecture about what they intend to to do to us.
And it will be people that claim a history of gun ownership that will bury us with their "expert status".
Old 01-06-2013, 2:36 PM

Does anyone think we are going to have a discussion on this issue? What we will have is a lecture about what they intend to to do to us.
And it will be people that claim a history of gun ownership that will bury us with their "expert status".
Old 01-06-2013, 2:43 PM

Mike Thompson has his eye on Sen. Feinstein's Senate seat. He is positioning himself as the protector of Diane's legacy. He will not waver from the party line in this matter. The only thing that will get his attention is explaining to him why you will not be voting for him I the future.
Old 01-06-2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
yup, they sure did.
check out this thread for some photographic examples.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=23&t=351482
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-06-2013, 4:45 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockJaw View Post
Mike Thompson has his eye on Sen. Feinstein's Senate seat. He is positioning himself as the protector of Diane's legacy. He will not waver from the party line in this matter. The only thing that will get his attention is explaining to him why you will not be voting for him I the future.
I highly doubt he beats Judge Feinstein for her mom's seat.
Old 01-06-2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsandrockets View Post

"I think assault weapons are a pox on the home of every gun owner," Rep. Mike Thompson said Saturday on CNN.
I'm glad I've got da pox on my home...

Old 01-06-2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizux View Post
I highly doubt he beats Judge Feinstein for her mom's seat.
Thompsons advantage is he is a working politician, he will have a track record to trot out to the voters. More reason for him to follow the party line and get the endorsements of his fellow politicians. Plus he has the backing of the wealthy wine growers and winery owners. Don't count him out, regardless he will be running. In the mean time he will be the best liberal party wonk he possibly can be,while trying to BS the conservatives in his district that he cares about them as we'll. Considering he was more middle of the road (Blue Dog Democrat member) early in his career, it may not be hard to to get them to believe I his BS.
Old 01-07-2013, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Most anti 2A idiots know nothing about firearms, besides what they have seen on TV and in movies.....
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 01-07-2013, 6:25 PM

Let me fix that for you.... As Senator Boxer calls them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg86 View Post
Damn those assault magazines! CLIPS
Old 01-07-2013, 7:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
its sad that many people still don't understand what is coming at us...
I know something bad is coming. It's just a matter of time. What exactly that is, I don't know. I have a feeling it will be mag capacity bans at a minimum.