Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 08-26-2007, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Arrow APS 082507 Tac/Prec Match Report

APS – 082507 – Tac/Prec Match Report

Yesterday we had our monthly Tac/Prec Rifle Match at A Place to Shoot in Saugus, California. My hat goes off to all competitors today as they ate a lot of dust, were confronted with 1 MOA or smaller targets in some stages, and of our ever-changing thermals, shadows and wind gusts. Despite this all competitors did well with the top shooter hitting 66%

Plaques were awarded to the top three competitors as follows: First Place – Luc Bauder; Second Place – Pascal Bauder; and Third Place – Jason Chan. There was also a medal given to the top shooter in the 100 Yard Dot Drill event that Luc snatched with 3 out of five hits. As a note the 100 yard dot drill was shot using ” dots so three out of five hits from down in the dirt prone is pretty fair country shootin’ in my book. Also there was a tie in this stage with Luc Bauder and Jason Chan both hitting 3 of the 5 dots. Individual times in this stage were used as a tiebreaker. To that end Luc, who shot the stage in 36.05 seconds won out over Jason whose time was 43.48 seconds.

All but one part of one stage were shot from prone in field positions. With our current dry conditions the cleared areas at APS are covered in talcum powder dust where even the unbraked rifles were raising quite a bit of chocking dust. In fact in one stage many found that after the first or second shot seeing the target was more of a challenge than hitting it.

The following is a breakdown of the five courses of fire:

Stage I – 866 YARD MAN ON THE RIDGE

The first course of fire is pretty explanatory from its title. In this stage the shooters engaged a Mini Iron Maiden (12”w X 24”h) at 866 yards. This was a little different than normal in that the shooter was only allow three shots to hit the target. If hit in the first shot the shooter rec’d 100 pts; if the first shot was missed the shooter was allowed a second shot and if a hit was achieved it was worth 50 pts; if missed twice the shooter was allowed a third and final shot for which 25 pts were awarded for a hit. The target was in a new area we cleared for it and except for the immediate area around it was surrounded by brush making seeing your misses extremely hard. Only on shooter was able to connect with the target on his second shot.

Stage II –255 YARD DOT DRILL

This was a standard dot drill consisting of 5 shots being placed on a 5.5” Shoot-n-See target at 255 yards. The shooters had 1 minute to complete this stage that was shot as a group. I had freshly cleared the firing line on this event last Friday and even though when I scraped the area on Friday I got below the talcum powder topsoil by Sat morning it was very dusty. The max score was 100 pts (20 per hit). Only on person cleaned this event with most people only getting off two or three shots due to the target being obscured by the dust raised from the muzzle blasts. My only comment is that the dusty conditions are with us until we get rain so blast pads are a good thing to have in your kit.

Stage III – MULTI TARGET – MUTLI RANGE

In this stage the shooters started approx 15 yards behind the line with their rifles at ready. At the buzzer the shooters moved to the line and engaged a Mini Iron Maiden @ 100 yards from standing then transitioned to prone where they engaged a hostage target @ 120 yards and a Mini Iron Maiden at 400 yards. There were alibis allowed on all shots with the second shot counting only point value.

As a note the hostage target was a cardboard “head clipped to the side of a Mini Maiden which meant if you hit the poor hostage it made a load ding. I’m pleased to announce that the hostage survived its only wound which was a grazing neck wound that obliterated the bad guy who was pronounced DOA due to sever shrapnel wounds to the face.

Stage IV – 100 YARD 5 DOT DRILL

This was a standard five-dot drill consisting of 5 dots at 100 yards with one little caveat – the dot were inch instead of the standard 1 inch. The shooters had 1 minute to complete this stage with individual times being used as a tiebreaker. The range on this event was 100 yards. The max score was 50 pts (10 per hit – one round per dot). There were no clean scores on this section, however, Luc as stated before hit 3 of the 5 and walked away with the medal for this event.

Stage V – UNDER THE HUMVEE

What I thought would be the most challenging stage turned into a race against the clock for most shooters.

In this event the shooters engaged an 8” steel plate @ 100 yards side prone under a simulated vehicle (12” clearance), which we affectionately named the Hummer H2. After the 2nd or 3rd shooter figured out where to aim on the plate to compensate for the fact the rifle was being shot at a 90 degree angle the race was on. That said times of under 3 seconds were common and in fact rksimple shot so fast after the beep his time registered as 0.00 on the time, which was right next to him.

STAGE 6 – IVAN IN THE VALLEY

The sixth and final stage found the competitors on a hill overlooking the rage engaging Mini Ivan with roughly a 1”x1.5” kill zone. The shooters had to place 5 shots in the kill zone to count. The par time on this round was 60 seconds. This course required finessing the weeds on the hill, correcting for the 18 deg downward slope and 78-yard range. We had two people clean this COF, which all things considered is pretty fair country shooting.

All in all it was a very good match and all did very well.

The next match will be September 29, 2007 and will be a night match. I will be posting the details of it later.

Last edited by Timberwolf; 08-26-2007 at 6:34 PM..
Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Well, despite cleaning 3 stages, I still finished 4th. It goes to show, you can win or lose the match at ANY point. Everyone did pretty well at this match. Congrats to Wildcard for 3rd, and Pistolpete as the "most improved" shooter!
Old 08-26-2007, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
Well, despite cleaning 3 stages, I still finished 4th. It goes to show, you can win or lose the match at ANY point. Everyone did pretty well at this match. Congrats to Wildcard for 3rd, and Pistolpete as the "most improved" shooter!
Haha. Thanks! Moved up to 3rd from 4th at the last match. Had a really good time at this match.. can't wait till the next night match.

For those that haven't gone.. you've got to! Everyone that I've met there has been real cool.. plus there's always something to learn. Competing is VERY different than casual shooting at the range.. but it's a good kind of different
Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Calguns Addict

good job, Jason! match was soooo much fun. can't wait till the next one.