Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2013, 9:46 PM
zeddy's Avatar
zeddy zeddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 367
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default bulgy fsb over threaded barrel

When I did my .223 conversion, i cut the shroud off and threaded the barrel using the die. now, i want to add the handguard retainer, change the gb and fsb. I want the bayo lug and cleaning rode. since i have threaded the barrel, will the bulgy ak74 fsb w/ 24mm threads just go over existing threads??

Im also trying to find how to install fsb and gb on saigas instructions/videos. can't find anything other than how to remove them. thanks.....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2013, 7:56 AM
SJgunguy24's Avatar
SJgunguy24 SJgunguy24 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed
Posts: 14,858
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
When I did my .223 conversion, i cut the shroud off and threaded the barrel using the die. now, i want to add the handguard retainer, change the gb and fsb. I want the bayo lug and cleaning rode. since i have threaded the barrel, will the bulgy ak74 fsb w/ 24mm threads just go over existing threads??

Im also trying to find how to install fsb and gb on saigas instructions/videos. can't find anything other than how to remove them. thanks.....
Your new FSB will slide right on.
As for reinstalling the barrel parts, make sure you polish both surfaces with fine grit sandpaper. Then you can use a big washer and a press or a long piece of heavy pipe and a hammer to reinstall the parts. Then drill, ream, and pin the parts in place.
__________________
There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
zeddy's Avatar
zeddy zeddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 367
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

I have a 20 ton press, i just can't figure out how i'm going to press the gb and fsb with the barrel attached to the receiver, i don't want to destroy the reciever nor do i want the take the barrel off.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2013, 8:58 PM
chiz's Avatar
chiz chiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Concord
Posts: 968
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
I have a 20 ton press, i just can't figure out how i'm going to press the gb and fsb with the barrel attached to the receiver, i don't want to destroy the reciever nor do i want the take the barrel off.
If you take the stock off you should be fine. I put an open end wrench under the gas block and between the arbor plates to press it off. Also dont use the ram but the cross bar under the jack with the barrel right next to the ram. Should be pretty easy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
savagemann's Avatar
savagemann savagemann is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 254
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Nevermind.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
savagemann's Avatar
savagemann savagemann is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 254
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiz View Post
If you take the stock off you should be fine. I put an open end wrench under the gas block and between the arbor plates to press it off. Also dont use the ram but the cross bar under the jack with the barrel right next to the ram. Should be pretty easy.
What size wrench fits best under the gas block?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2013, 5:46 AM
tujungatoes's Avatar
tujungatoes tujungatoes is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LA/SFV
Posts: 7,964
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

If you weld or know someone who can, a support jig like this is really easy to fabricate and will make pressing barrel components on much easier.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Elky View Post
If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2013, 6:55 AM
SJgunguy24's Avatar
SJgunguy24 SJgunguy24 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed
Posts: 14,858
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Your new FSB will slide right on.
As for reinstalling the barrel parts, make sure you polish both surfaces with fine grit sandpaper. Then you can use a big washer and a press or a long piece of heavy pipe and a hammer to reinstall the parts. Then drill, ream, and pin the parts in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
I have a 20 ton press, i just can't figure out how i'm going to press the gb and fsb with the barrel attached to the receiver, i don't want to destroy the reciever nor do i want the take the barrel off.
See my post above?
__________________
There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
zeddy's Avatar
zeddy zeddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 367
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Thank you guys, I hope installing it is easier than taking the fsb/gb off. I'm assuming putting a piece of metal though the mag well is the way to go. i am going to sand it down, i'm acutally going to sand the entire barrel and repaint it. the barrel got a little scratch when I was removing the parts. I just hope my bullet guide sticking out won't get damaged, maybe I could remove it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:28 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.