Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-23-2012, 4:36 AM

Unhappy Gun resold during 10 day wait

I went in to pick up my AR15 yesterday on the 10th day with my original receipt stating pickup date time weapon SN paid in full. The owner took my receipt, made a show of looking around then told me the gun had been resold and was no longer available. I said, "huhh?" I asked how that could be as I popped the cherry on this AR15 close of business 10 days earlier and I couldn't see how it was gone? He said sorry about that accidents happen. Someone logged it in the wrong spot. They have one book log as you go, no mystery spots or pages that i am aware of. I had to get back to work and we agreed to meet and discuss next week. I became a little disgruntled later when i checked online. in the last 10 days my "Missing" AR15 doubled $$ price on GB over what i paid the shop Out the door. Do I have any recourse? I just want my original AR or the same. The sale was logged in and fees were paid, full balance paid on rifle, background intiated day of sale no issues with DOJ. Thanks all and Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2012, 4:47 AM

My guess someone offered prob. Double price so yours got chosen. This is crazy, I would demand of course what you paid for and for the F*** up ammo and mags to go with it at the very least. I would be going off if I was in your shoes.
Old 12-23-2012, 5:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS View Post
I went in to pick up my AR15 yesterday on the 10th day with my original receipt stating pickup date time weapon SN paid in full. The owner took my receipt, made a show of looking around then told me the gun had been resold and was no longer available. I said, "huhh?" I asked how that could be as I popped the cherry on this AR15 close of business 10 days earlier and I couldn't see how it was gone? He said sorry about that accidents happen. Someone logged it in the wrong spot. They have one book log as you go, no mystery spots or pages that i am aware of. I had to get back to work and we agreed to meet and discuss next week. I became a little disgruntled later when i checked online. in the last 10 days my "Missing" AR15 doubled $$ price on GB over what i paid the shop Out the door. Do I have any recourse? I just want my original AR or the same. The sale was logged in and fees were paid, full balance paid on rifle, background intiated day of sale no issues with DOJ. Thanks all and Merry Christmas

Were i you, I'd contact the DOJ about a misappropriated (stolen) firearm, and file a police report. Also file in small claims.
The store owner is a doosh.

Greed makes whores of many.

Name the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_electron View Post
PE card? LOL! Any green kid out of engineering school can get that with a few years of experience.

Last edited by tcrpe; 12-23-2012 at 5:14 AM..
Old 12-23-2012, 5:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Who was the dealer?
Old 12-23-2012, 5:08 AM

That's f'd up man. Sorry. I'd work whatever angle you can to make it right. Maybe CGF?

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-23-2012, 5:21 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds very shady to say the least. I would be extremely pissed off. Maybe it was a genuine mistake although given the timing I would say it would be quite a coincidence. I would go back and ask him to rectify this ASAP and get you what is owed. If they are any less than fully accommodating then blast their name on here loud and clear. Also call the DOJ as someone has already said.
Old 12-23-2012, 5:23 AM

If the gun was DROS'ed to you, it belongs to you. So long as DROS was processed - then the store is on the hook for retrieving the firearm that you own. If this is the case, nicely ask them to get you your firearm - else take the issue up with the DOJ or possibly the BATF as your firearm is STOLEN (even if it was the store that "stole" it in order to re-sell it for double the price). Faced with getting their tit caught in the ATF-wringer, I suspect they'll want to make it right instead of possibly losing their FFL, and thus their ability to operate as a gun store.
Old 12-23-2012, 5:27 AM

I was just caught up in the Valkyrie Arms (VA) drama. I DROS'd a 1911, and when I went to P/U, VA was basically shutdown. The one guy left to deal with the mess, had to retract, or cancel my DROS's that was already done, 10 day wait and all. THen shipped to another vendor, and started the whole thing again.

If the DOJ is still processing the DROS and it's in the 10 day wait for the other buyer, explain the situation and see what they can do.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-23-2012, 5:30 AM

That's freaking shady.

- Joseph Goebbels, Minister for Public Enlightment and Education, Nazi Germany.
Old 12-23-2012, 5:35 AM

It would seem to me to be an honest mistake. The rifle was DROS'd twice with the two DROS's having same serial #. The dealer is going to have to cancel DROS on one, mostly likely you if rifle is another's possession already. My guess is that the way he does this is the same as cancelling DROS like gun wasn't picked up in 30 days, although his paperwork shows messed up dates.

The dealer is going to have to bend over backwards now to get you a replacement and make it right with about 500 rounds for free, IMHO.

You generally run out of time before you run out of ammo.

NRA Member [/FONT***] 
[

NRA Member
CGF Member
AKA Richard Cramden

Last edited by artoaster; 12-23-2012 at 5:39 AM..
Old 12-23-2012, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

I'd contact ATF as paperwork is not matching guns that are supposed to be in the store. Bad news !!!
Old 12-23-2012, 6:57 AM

If they sold it to someone else after you started the transfer, shouldn't it still be physically present at their location? After all, the other buyer has to wait out the 10 days as well.
Old 12-23-2012, 7:06 AM

Angry Gun resold during 10 day wait

Thanks for the support. I feel wronged after review of the events. I am fairly easy going, but things were said and done that didn't jive then and especially now. 1. Dealer owner stated I was the third person he had to tell this to on this model different guns. (I am aware they had three of these guns and I got the last one, was in the loop on this order though not a groupie). One mistake could happen, 3 seems a little excessive even for the worst gun shop, these guys had a good rep. 2. The enormous fluctuation in selling price on this gun from my date of purchase to current valuation. Haven't found one in CA. for sale as of now. 3. While waiting I observed a father and son attempting to high sell two M&P SW ARs or trade on some 1911s. Shop Owner low balled and declined the trading for any of his stock. He then told them when they backed off he could sell each gun for 2k no problem. He suggested this forum to sell to his credit. These were basic SW ARs, around $700 and some change 2 weeks ago. I thought I didn't hear that $2k each correctly. This tidbit went into the useless subconscious of course. Nothing clicked until I went on line a little later, then I felt like an idiot. 4. Owner said my gun was a name only, not really a good gun he offered two seriously lesser ARs as potential subs. Told him I wanted what I paid for and expected a real resolution, nothing less. I know what I want in the stable. He just stared off into space. 5. Very concerned about the shops real world survivability with black rifles off the shelf and no new stock coming soon according to them. I thinking maybe two weeks at best and that might be overly optimistic. 6. Not wanting to burn this shop by name, just want my gun. I will talk to them on Wednesday with the conflict resolutions suggested. Thank you all
Old 12-23-2012, 7:17 AM

Default Gun resold during 10 day wait

Yes I am certain the Gun was still in the shop yesterday. I unwrapped this thing 10 days before. Cut the factory tape on box, removed chamber plug, original factory oil no smudges nothing. Certain I was First to touch it. Couldn't have sold it again until the next day, so that would be a pickup today or later. They are a little shop with one manual enter as you go log, DOJ was in there two weeks ago. Really suprised they are trying to pull this off. The whole thing was bad, felt canned. Also, the guy said, "mistakes happen." I did think to say not in this climate with everything going sideways. That doesn't wash. Again the catatonic stare. Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 7:21 AM

Arrow

If he makes it right, it was likely just a mistake. Right would be another gun, same model and equipment, and something nice for the trouble. Inconvenient, yes, but stuff happens.

If he just refunds the money or otherwise jerks you around, complain to BBB, DOJ, and sue in small claims court.
Old 12-23-2012, 7:24 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you have a DROS number, then ownership of that gun has been transferred to you.

Explain to the ffl that, if he doesn't immediately produce either your gun, or another exactly like it, you'll file a stolen gun report naming him and his license as the suspect.

If your gun does not immediately appear, go to local LE and file. Then contact DOJ.

That's a serious "mistake" on his part.

Licenses have been lost for much less.
Old 12-23-2012, 7:24 AM

if they sold to someone else AFTER you, then that gun is still in the shop. go in now and take posession of your gun. if they wont give it to you, then you need to inform the gun shop that you will be calling the authorities about your stolen gun.

could be a simple mistake, given the climate im thinking someone walked in and was willing to pay twice as much as you did, so they "mistakenly" sold it to the new person hoping you will be cool and take the refund while they make an additional $1000, its shady and you need to get YOUR gun. you DROSd it first. period. mistake or not its YOUR gun.
Old 12-23-2012, 7:31 AM

Please name the dealer. I don't want to face the same trouble you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAcHog View Post
I have read that...Serioulsy....check it out online.
Old 12-23-2012, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

What if he added it into someones earlier 10day wait who saw it on the shelf and told him double the price you paid?

Sounds really shady. .. 3 mistakes? and he made 3x the money mistake.
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 12-23-2012, 7:45 AM

If you dont want to name the dealer, at least tell us what area its located in
Old 12-23-2012, 7:52 AM

Name the shop.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknow View Post
If you have a DROS number, then ownership of that gun has been transferred to you.
I cannot begin to emphasize this enough!

The reason that I'm so adamant about this topic is that I had something similar happen to me (although it really was a mistake). In my case the vendor sent me the rifle I ordered, but it was clearly a "hand-select" as I'd never seen the type of rifle I bought in such superb condition.

My dealer DROS'ed the gun to me and 2 hours later the vendor called my FFL dealer demanding that he return it. He said it was impossible as it was *legally mine* once the DROS had been filed. The vendor got upset, but my dealer was a former DOJ employee and he knew the law first-hand.

So again, if it was DROS'ed to you - it's yours, and they're going to have to refund the other guy his money, end of story.

One final thing, if it's DROS'ed to you and you bow down and let it go to the second guy that bought it for double, then you'll need to file a "no longer in possession" form with the DOJ.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Ok, let me first of all state I am not supporting what this guy did. I sold my lowers for $150 for two days before I finally realized they were still going to sell to all of the people I have never seen before in my shop for $225 all the same.

However, you guys need an education on how to properly handle this as it is evident that you guys are about to waste a lot of your time.

First, the gun does not belong to you until you take delivery. If that were true, then the state could never deny you or put you on delay. Further, if you come in to pick up and start talking about offing your wife or how your buddy really wanted you to buy the gun because he is prohibited, it is common knowledge the shop would cancel (or at least should) the transaction right then and there.

So all of these desires to report it stolen and report it to the alphabet agencies are pointless. Absolutely pointless. No one from any of those places are going to care nor was a crime even committed.

The only traction you might have is if you can find somewhere in the business code where the seller might have some sort of contractual obligation to you. One other chance might be if you paid by credit card there might be some sort of credit card issuer rules about what the dealer did.

If you cannot find any of these things, there is nothing you can do. You can try and take it to court, but that is going to cost you money. And if the dealer is smart, they will stick to their story. How will you prove it otherwise? Subpoena their financial documents and show they sold it to another guy for more? Maybe.

Probably the best thing you could do is out the shop and warn everyone what they are doing. That is about it. However, in this current market, it won't hurt them that much. Like I just said. Almost all of the business I had this week was with completely new customers. If I screwed one of them over, most of the other customers I have would never hear about it on Calguns nor anywhere else.

Again, I would not do that to a gun in DROS and certainly not to a regular customer. I am not defending the guy's actions, I am trying to help you be smarter and more educated Calgunners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
My dealer DROS'ed the gun to me and 2 hours later the vendor called my FFL dealer demanding that he return it. He said it was impossible as it was *legally mine* once the DROS had been filed. The vendor got upset, but my dealer was a former DOJ employee and he knew the law first-hand.
This is actually incorrect. The gun was yours as soon as the other guy shipped it. For shipping firearms, once the payment is received and the item is shipped, it belongs to you. I know this from the Fulton Armory debacle back in 2005.

However, at my gun store where I own the merchandise, the gun is not yours until I deliver it. I could even get crooked and claim I thought it was a straw purchase. Something just didn't seem right about you. So I canceled the DROS and gave you a full refund.

What your dealer did was effectively bluffed the seller. That is all you guys would be doing if you tried any of these tactics on this dealer. Give them a try. They might work. My guess is your gun is long gone and he couldn't replace it even if he was scared he was going to go to jail.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 12-23-2012 at 8:39 AM..
Old 12-23-2012, 8:44 AM

folks, the only form that dealer has with any info about the rifle is the 4473, no s/n on dros to doj, its just a background check...but you know this.
so if the dealer is really shady he destroyed the 4473 you signed, if you had that copy you are golden and dealer is in hella deep with a few agencys.
But i agree, I would cal DOJ and an ATF field office in the area.
Either way, the dealer seems to have no issue screwing you over and not the 2nd guy tells me its profit driven motivation....did you not ask him why he could not get the rifle back from the other guy? or that you know the rifle is still in the store?, unless he sold to a guy after he had already Dros another long gun and was able to pickup more on pickup day...assuming that dealer put in more then 1 longgun.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:47 AM

oh, and why won't you tell us who this dealer is? sorry, but i would be flaming this fool...but thats me.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:52 AM

The shop name may come up later. Especially if we can't resolve it. No worries as they have no AR/Aks to sell for a while. This is just that, a seriously shady situation. I have spent money in the shop and would have continued to do so. I am also certain I was on the GUN first as I opened its seal, removed it from the box myself and exmained first. It was opened by the dealer and handed to me, I opened it. My biggest asset as of now is their desire to keep their name good. If I post the shops name they will burn me worse, that is certain. I appreciate all the advice. I really just want my gun. Everyone has a price, that's obvious. The statement of this happening to all three guns they had is pretty blatant. My gun was never racked or displayed, they received it only a few days before. I also think this owner is feeling impending doom as a builder seller of AK/ARs, without any remaining stock. He is looking to get what he can now to survive the machine. I also agree this guy is assuming I am going to just piss off. They had the gun in the shop, just don't want to pay back cash to a better paying buyer. Real POS. Thanks all
Old 12-23-2012, 8:54 AM

FYI: It was not opened by the dealer, I opnened it.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:55 AM
Banned

they're clearly crooks, name and shame! get bad players shut down or we ALL pay the price. Jeeze, can't you think beyond yourself for one second?
Old 12-23-2012, 8:55 AM
Banned

they're clearly crooks, name and shame! get bad players shut down or we ALL pay the price. Jeeze, can't you think beyond yourself for one second?
Old 12-23-2012, 8:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Just please be sure to report back to us how reporting him to any police department or DOJ or ATF agency goes. I have already stated this in other threads and the other guys have already reported it did no good. But what do I know? Let's do it again!

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 12-23-2012, 8:56 AM

so whats stopping them selling all the guns that were sold 10 days ago if you say we cant do any thing about it.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:57 AM

so whats stopping them selling all the guns that were sold 10 days ago if you say we cant do any thing about it.
Old 12-23-2012, 9:08 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
Integrity and/or a personal relationship they started with you a while back. The only way you can really stop them is to convince all of their customers they are douche nozzles and don't deserve your business. Except the guy willing to double your purchase price could care less you got screwed. He is glad he has an AR15.

Old 12-23-2012, 9:19 AM

It sucks to say, but many times the only way the scallywags actually make it right is after a stink from this here forum. If he sent another customer to CG before, he knows the place. And while not every AR owner is a CG member, enough are that when stock is supplied and the frenzy dies he will have the reputation of a septic tank unless he publically makes it right. I thought the item was yours when you paid and was just in store lockup until cleared. Otherwise why do shops wait until you pay for an item in full and not a deposit to start the process? The transaction between the store and customer had already taken place now its up to DOJ to cancel your DROS. Do you have a receipt for purchase with said firearms SN?

In the past when people have felt scammed, I have seen posts end well for the OP as long as he did his due diligence prior to posting the name. No one wants a bad rep and its easy to add a store to yelp if needed! Or add reviews to google.

I hope you get what you bought or a refund in current market value of same firearm, if he made money on it, he made it off you.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-23-2012, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 12-23-2012, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
This is actually incorrect. The gun was yours as soon as the other guy shipped it. For shipping firearms, once the payment is received and the item is shipped, it belongs to you. I know this from the Fulton Armory debacle back in 2005.
While I feel that your definition of when the rifle "became legally mine" is most accurate and appropriate, I merely stated that my dealer told the vendor that it was out of his hands since all the paperwork had been completed and I was just in my 10-day wait. Knowing that dealer had been a former DOJ employee, I felt confident in repeating what I was told when my situation occurred.
Old 12-23-2012, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS View Post
The shop name may come up later. Especially if we can't resolve it. No worries as they have no AR/Aks to sell for a while. This is just that, a seriously shady situation. I have spent money in the shop and would have continued to do so. I am also certain I was on the GUN first as I opened its seal, removed it from the box myself and exmained first. It was opened by the dealer and handed to me, I opened it. My biggest asset as of now is their desire to keep their name good. If I post the shops name they will burn me worse, that is certain. I appreciate all the advice. I really just want my gun. Everyone has a price, that's obvious. The statement of this happening to all three guns they had is pretty blatant. My gun was never racked or displayed, they received it only a few days before. I also think this owner is feeling impending doom as a builder seller of AK/ARs, without any remaining stock. He is looking to get what he can now to survive the machine. I also agree this guy is assuming I am going to just piss off. They had the gun in the shop, just don't want to pay back cash to a better paying buyer. Real POS. Thanks all

The problem here is that you think you're going to get your rifle. You're not, and to think otherwise shows how naive you are. The dealer, who you won't name, very clearly only cared about his immediate gain at your potential loss. He KNEW that there was virtually no way that you were going to be able to buy another AR15 in light of all the idiotic panic buying going on, yet he sold it anyway.

Why would you protect him? Everyone should know the name of the shop so that his lack of ethics will haunt him for the rest of his business career.
Old 12-23-2012, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Make a LARGE sign that says:

WARNING: XYZ Gun Shop sells STOLEN ASSAULT WEAPONS!

Spend a few hours walking the sidewalk in front of the shop during business hours, when it comes time to resolve the issue tell the owner to let you pick up your gun and you will be on your way.

It may not work but it will be fun/interesting to say the least...
Old 12-23-2012, 9:36 AM

u need to go into the shop NOW if their open. do not wait until wednesday. since you told him youd wait a week to resolve it you skrewed yourself already. the gun is gone now, depending on how soon the 2nd buyer started the DROS.

Go in as soon as you can. today is best if their open.

worst case you get your money back. tell him hes a shady dealer and you will out him to CalGuns and everyone you know. hopefully he will give you some free stuff...

best case he gives you the gun. (unlikely, you payed much less than the other guy)

Indian Giving pos dealer. out them. Im a nice, patient person too, but I dont let people take advantage of me.
Old 12-23-2012, 9:37 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
While I feel that your definition of when the rifle "became legally mine" is most accurate and appropriate, I merely stated that my dealer told the vendor that it was out of his hands since all the paperwork had been completed and I was just in my 10-day wait. Knowing that dealer had been a former DOJ employee, I felt confident in repeating what I was told when my situation occurred.
It is cool. I like your dealer. He effectively told that dude to pound sand and protected you. There is nothing wrong with it.

The thing is there really isn't a solid law that says when the gun is yours, when it isn't yours, and the legal or civil repercussions when people get crazy. Hell, I might not even be correct. However, what I am saying is the reality of the situation and I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
The problem here is that you think you're going to get your rifle. You're not, and to think otherwise shows how naive you are. The dealer, who you won't name, very clearly only cared about his immediate gain at your potential loss. He KNEW that there was virtually no way that you were going to be able to buy another AR15 in light of all the idiotic panic buying going on, yet he sold it anyway.*
sums it up best, except

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
Why would you protect him? Everyone should know the name of the shop so that his lack of ethics will haunt him for the rest of his business career.
shady gun shops rarely go out of business. Think of all of the crappy gun shops you have ever known. They rarely go out of business with their horrible prices and horrible customer service. People still go to them! I am not sure if it is location or just the number of people who want guns, but they never go out of style.

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 12-23-2012 at 9:40 AM..