Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-01-2013, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Default flash suppressor M1A

my M1A is 28 years old. it had a factory installed M-14 flash suppressor when new. do i still have to install that silly calif muzzle brake.
Old 01-01-2013, 3:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That, or a bullet button device and 10 rd mags.
Old 01-01-2013, 3:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

please delete this thread... Or explain how you are in possession of a California defined Assault Weapon and don't know. You needed to register this with the DoJ long long time ago as an AW... then you would not need to care about anything.

Last edited by dieselpower; 01-01-2013 at 4:01 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 4:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
my M1A is 28 years old. it had a factory installed M-14 flash suppressor when new. do i still have to install that silly calif muzzle brake.
Uh yea. M1A are legal by being featureless (most of the time, there are probably some out there that choose to use a magazine lock). A Flash Suppressor even factory installed is a feature. Get your rifle compliant ASAP and delete this thread.

Muzzle brakes and compensators that do not function as a Flash Suppressor are legal for use
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 01-01-2013, 4:10 PM

Do what most of us did, contact Springfield, have them sell you a CA. compliant muzzle brake. You'll lose the bayonet lug with the muzzle brake and have a "featureless" rifle.
That's what I did to get it back into Commiefornia after taking out of state to avoid the dreaded AW registration. Missed it so much I folded and replaced the evil flash hider and lug and brought her back.
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 01-01-2013, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Just to be clear bayonet lug is not a feature. But I understand that its one unit on these rifles so both usually are removed by necessity.

https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/
Quote:
Penal Code 12276.1.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 01-01-2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
it had a factory installed M-14 flash suppressor when new.
Reading comprehension fail.

PAST TENSE, folks. From what the OIP has written, the flash hider has been removed, which means it's still a featureless rifle. If the OP wishes to run a muzzle device, he'll need to use a compensator or other device not considered a flash hider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernher von Browning View Post
I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
Quote:
A people whose only powers, liberties & remedies are those strictly defined by the State is not a free people at all.
Wanted: pre-war Colt Detective Special and commercial 1911.
Old 01-01-2013, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

so a AR has a flash suppressor,a pistol grip and who knows what else and my 28 year old wood and metal LONG rifle is BAD ?. does not seem right.
if i install a mag lock and use a 10 round mag am i ok.
i thank you for the info but the ranges i go to lytle creek,burrow canyon all i see is way out radical ARs. nobody seems to care. why can a AR have a flash suppressor and my M 14 cant.
i will never shoot on public land , only private ranges.
Old 01-01-2013, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_e95482 View Post
That, or a bullet button device and 10 rd mags.
if that will make the M-14 flash hider legal ok by me. i already converted all my mags to 10 rounds only.
Old 01-01-2013, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Just to be clear bayonet lug is not a feature. But I understand that its one unit on these rifles so both usually are removed by necessity.

https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/
so all ARs fail 1 A and E right
detachable mag
pistol grip
flash hider
Old 01-01-2013, 6:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
so a AR has a flash suppressor,a pistol grip and who knows what else and my 28 year old wood and metal LONG rifle is BAD ?. does not seem right.
i thank you for the info but the ranges i go to lytle creek,burrow canyon all i see is way out radical ARs. nobody seems to care. why can a AR have a flash suppressor and my M 14 cant.
Here it is.

Your semi-automatic, centerfire rifle has a detachable magazine, therefore it can NOT have...
(A) A pistol grip
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip

If you remove the detachable magazine by installing a magazine lock such as a Bullet Button or Radlock...

you now have a
semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a Fixed magazine. Now you can only use 10rd magazines.

If you want a semiautomatic centerfire rifle WITH A MAGAZINE THAT HOLDS MORE THEN 10 ROUNDS... It MUST have a detachable magazine and REMOVE that flash hider!

The reason AR15s can have all the evil features is that the magazines are 10rds or less and locked into the rifle.
Old 01-01-2013, 6:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
so all ARs fail 1 A and E right
detachable mag
pistol grip
flash hider
No Bullet Buttons make a detachable magazine into a Fixed magazine.

Its then when you can have all the other evil features...BUT you are limited to 10rds or less.
Old 01-01-2013, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingnut View Post
Reading comprehension fail.

PAST TENSE, folks. From what the OIP has written, the flash hider has been removed, which means it's still a featureless rifle. If the OP wishes to run a muzzle device, he'll need to use a compensator or other device not considered a flash hider.
Look folks, someone made an assumption.
fail.

Quote:
To be legal an AR has to either have a fixed magazine or be featureless. Just like your M14/M1A or an AK or any other semiauto centerfire rifle in CA.

A featureless rifle can not have any features, not even one.
If you configured your AR to have a non-pistol grip such as a monsterman, hammerhead, or grip wrap and it did not have any other features it would be legal.

But add a Flash Suppressor, bingo illegal!

Lets take a look at the law:
Quote:
[Featureless]
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
[Fixed magazines]
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
[Length requirement]
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
(The green, blue and red [] areas where added by me to help distinguish the different parts of the law)

Most AR's and AK's in CA are legal because they have what is known as a magazine lock (such as the brand name "Bullet Button")
They are legal because they fall under the Blue section.
By definition they can not have a magazine that can hold over 10 rounds

Also legal are rifles that have no features this is what makes a lot of semiauto centerfire hunting rifles legal. It is also used by many to configure their AK and AR legally by having no features.
As already stated these rifles can have not a single feature.
This is the Green section above. Remember the law tells you what is illegal. Not what is legal. That is why it tells you what you can not have. If it is not illegal it is therefore legal.

Features are:
Pistol grip.
Thumbhole stock.
Folding or telescoping stock.
Grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Flash suppressor.
Forward pistol grip.

Note: Threaded Barrels and Bayonet Lugs are not on the list and are legal.

Usually a M14/M1A is legal under the featureless area. But if you would prefer to have features such as a Flash Suppressor then you need to have a magazine lock to make your magazine fixed.

Also it is important to distinguish while a fixed magazine lock semiauto centerfire rifle can not use a magazine that can hold over 10 rounds by definition. A featureless rifle is not limited by definition to 10 rounds.

The Magazine law is a seperate section of law
Possession and use of "large-capacity magazines" is not illegal (again except in a fixed magazine semiauto centerfire rifle)
It is how and when magazines are acquired.

Quote:
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
[...]
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
If you owned a large-capacity magazine prior to Jan 1st 2000 you own them legally and could use them in a Featureless or a RAW.

Quote:
[...]
As it is currently you are in possession of an illegal "Assault Weapon" as defined under CA PC.
Mere possession of an "Assault Weapon" is illegal.
Make your rifle compliant ASAP!

Last edited by Chaos47; 01-01-2013 at 8:05 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 8:37 PM
OT Banned
CGN Contributor

Remove the flashsupressor. Now you are compliant.

If you wish you can replace it with a CA compliant muzzlebrake from Springfield or other manufacturer. I believe Entreprise Arms makes one.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 PM

Did you really have pre-ban hi cap mags and convert them to 10 rounders
Old 01-02-2013, 5:01 AM

I agree with the posts above. Replace the FS with either a muzzle brake, or a fake Chinese FS. Replacing with a fake Chinese unit will be the cheapest option, and there should be no problems with the installation.
Old 01-02-2013, 5:16 AM
Calguns Addict

i do understand all of the info above ,thank you very much. i do not understand how a AR magazine can be called a fixed mag if you can remove it without taking the rifle apart. you can remove the mag from a CA legal AR just as fast as my M1A. thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 5:44 AM

DOJ ruling is that if the magazine requires a "tool" to remove it, it is considered a "fixed" magazine. A bullet can be considered a "tool", hence the term "bullet button" for the mag release.
So, on the AR style rifles with the so called evil features, it is no longer considered an Assault Weapon if the magazine is "fixed" with a bullet button device.
However, one is limited to 10 rds, as the magazine is now "fixed", and any rifle with with a fixed magazine of greater than 10 rds is considered an AW................................ no matter what else is on it.
With the M14/M1A style rifles, with either the Fake Chinese FS or a muzzle brake/Compensator, since they have no other evil features, they are not considered AWs. Since they are not AWs, detachable mags of larger than 10 rounds can be used if one has them.
Personally, I like to be able to use my hi cap mags so I leave the Fake Chinese FS on my rifle so I don't need to neuter it by installing a bullet button device.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...s/awguide.pdf?

From page 80

Magazine - Any ammunition feeding device.

Magazine, fixed - A magazine which remains affixed to the firearm during loading. Frequently a fixed magazine is
charged (loaded) from a clip (en bloc or stripper) of cartridges inserted through the open breech into the magazine.

Magazine, detachable - An ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither
disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered
a tool.
Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc
clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 01-02-2013 at 6:18 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 7:03 AM

This is alot of fuss considering http://www.midwayusa.com/product/865...m1a-steel-blue. Yeah, $90 bucks sucks, but then you'll have piece of mind and it'll be easier to sell someday.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

if i have a choice i would rather have a 10 round mag with a mag lock so i can keep the proper FH on the rifle. if this is not possible i will install that ugly replacement MB. sucks
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd run a featureless any day over a magazine lock. All my semiauto centerfire rifles have grip wraps on them.

That MB DrewN posted while kinda spendy doesn't look bad at all IMO.

If you have legal magazines featureless is the way to go

Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd run a featureless any day over a magazine lock. All my semiauto centerfire rifles have grip wraps on them.

That MB DrewN posted while kinda spendy doesn't look bad at all IMO.

If you have legal magazines featureless is the way to go

Old 01-02-2013, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

i have the cal MB also. one reason i got the M1A is because it looks like a M 14 i used in army training. it just looks right. o well. thanks Jerry and friends. this is what happens when people that know nothing about guns make gun laws.
Old 01-02-2013, 4:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

if you use a scope you can just take it off

as a threaded barrel is not a bad feature on rifles
Old 01-02-2013, 4:27 PM

ok I've been looking at this for the past couple weeks. Springfield makes the one posted and is available directly through them with castle nut tool provided. the other is smith enterprise us coastguard muzzle break that everyone likes at around $60 more, or Ted browns usgi muzzle break that looks like the original flash hider but with the slots covered and bayo lug still available I believe.

my problem is that mine originally HAD the national match flash hider that was reamed and don't know which of these are reamed enough that I won't have to worry about getting the alignment tool just for this one time application. if someone can help me out with this or give me a little more info on the fake Chinese fh that would be awesome.
Old 01-02-2013, 7:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

well if you get desperate just break out the hacksaw and chop it to the flutes
Old 01-02-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
if i have a choice i would rather have a 10 round mag with a mag lock so i can keep the proper FH on the rifle.
Really???