Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-01-2013, 1:23 PM

Default Do you mark your brass?

I've never found a good way to do it. I don't have a tumbler(on order), so my 9mm brass is really dirty and easy to spot that way http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/i...es/biggrin.gif but it'd be cool if there were a way to mark it as mine.

I've used a sharpie across the side before but ehh. it wasn't super effective.

It seems like the best solution would be a circle around the case in paint marker or something.

Some guy at the Firing Line marks his primer pockets some how. It looks like they have a red circle around them or something. I never asked him how he did it.

Any body?
Old 01-01-2013, 1:27 PM

I really don't see a need to mark my brass.
Old 01-01-2013, 1:32 PM

Yes I mark mine. Red sharpie mark across the primer. I dont mark the side of the brass. I just like keeping track of my stuff. Thats all....
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-01-2013, 2:08 PM

I mark some of mine with a red sharpie around the case (38 supercomp is expensive and getting hard to find). I made a little tool so it doesn't take too much time.
Old 01-01-2013, 2:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

yea i mark mine with a purple sharpie as i pick them up
Old 01-01-2013, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

I marked mine with a permanent marker across the head for a long time, when I was putting them in those plastic MTM cases, then I quit using the boxes and went to ziplock bags, so I quit. Since I started loading 10mm and .45 Super, I use a lot of new Starline so I started marking them again, lately I got tired of worrying about it again and quit... so it goes...
Old 01-01-2013, 2:37 PM

I found that a stamp pad with permenant ink works , and is easier than a sharpie pen. When reloading as soon as primer is seated hit the stamp pad with it and on to the next.

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 01-01-2013, 2:38 PM

I mark with a sharpie along the head color the whole thing but I only mark .223 and .308 because they are a common caliber and takes the most prep work (remove military crimp)
Old 01-01-2013, 3:30 PM

I use a Dremel to cut a shallow groove across the side of the case. Makes it real easy to spot. Never saw anyone wanting to steal my brass <g>

I put my rounds into factory boxes. I used a ruler and sharpie to mark across all the rounds right through the center of the primer. 5 lines and you're done.

Most of the time I don't bother anymore.
Old 01-01-2013, 3:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I guess I am more concerned about how many times it is loaded than most people. Here is my system:

The .223 a red for the first loading, green for second, purple for third and a black line does not get loaded again. The .556 has a separate system but different colors are used to help speed up the process when separating them. Same procedure for 9mm cases. My .45acp and 10mm get loaded till they crack so they are all marked with whatever marker is handy.

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 01-01-2013, 3:44 PM

I use a sharpie around the case (.308 shot out of a gas gun) so I can find it after it is ejected. Different loads get a different color across the primer too, since I keep them in the 100-round MTM boxes.
SS tumbling after decapping cleans it right off.
I just twist the case in the loading block while I hold the sharpie against the side of the case.

Walnut media for bright brass
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214
Old 01-01-2013, 5:12 PM
Banned

I pee on mine! Then I can tell by the scent which are mine and which are not.

Seriously I am as scroungy as it gets when it comes to brass, but even I am not that anal. Besides it pisses me off when I take your brass and try to get the markings off.

Last edited by classwarfare; 01-01-2013 at 5:15 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 6:23 PM

Oh I should mention it's not that I'm so much worried about losing my brass, I have tons of 9mm, it's so that I know I'm not accidentally picking up someone else's stuff. I don't want anything that doesn't belong to me.

Thanks for the good ideas. I wonder if I could find an inkpad of different colors? I was thining it'd be a good idea to mark my 223 for how many times its been loaded as well. Considering how long it takes to prep, what's another few seconds circling it?!?
Old 01-01-2013, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I mark each case by carefully dimpling the primer with a firing pin immediately before the case is ejected. I then just claim all brass with that tell-tale dimple as "mine."
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 01-01-2013, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I mark each case by carefully dimpling the primer with a firing pin immediately before the case is ejected. I then just claim all brass with that tell-tale dimple as "mine."
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 01-01-2013, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

I do the red sharpie also. Works for me.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 01-01-2013, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

I've considered the sharpie method before, but never came up with a way that was particularly easy, aside from marking the head. I don't like looking at the case head every time, but I would like to be able to tell at a glance what's what. My main concern? .223 with primer crimps removed. I tried marking a stripe just above the extractor groove, but it's tedious.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM

The ones on the ground are mine. Please leave them there for me to pick up...

Old 01-02-2013, 1:19 AM

Take a large tip sharpie and beat the tip up until it's a little mushy, then put the rounds tip down in a plastic ammo box, run the "widened" sharpie tip across the primer face of each row of rounds. This will give you a nice wide stripe across all the rounds. For a little extra flair, use two different color sharpies and do the second pass at a right angle to get a dual colored X across the rounds.

Do not use a paint type marker that leaves a thick coating on case head or side, this will shed in the magazine and the chamber and on the breech face creating flakes of crap everywhere. Sharpie is best.

BTW, get a tumbler ASAP, dirty, sooty cases don't chamber as reliably or slide over other rounds in the magazine as well as bright, shiny brass does. every little thing counts when it comes to reliability in an auto-loader

Last edited by GeoffLinder; 01-02-2013 at 1:21 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 1:27 AM
Veteran Member

fingernail polish -- your choice of color -
Old 01-02-2013, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post
Oh I should mention it's not that I'm so much worried about losing my brass, I have tons of 9mm, it's so that I know I'm not accidentally picking up someone else's stuff. I don't want anything that doesn't belong to me.

Thanks for the good ideas. I wonder if I could find an inkpad of different colors? I was thining it'd be a good idea to mark my 223 for how many times its been loaded as well. Considering how long it takes to prep, what's another few seconds circling it?!?
Postal Supplies store( no pun intended) has them , red , green , black

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 01-02-2013, 9:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
yea i mark mine with a purple sharpie as i pick them up
I know what you did there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
Your Lavendar color is to just die for!

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 01-02-2013, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post

So far, any of the methods using a Sharpie or paint are just temporary, once you put it into the tumbler, it's gone.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM

I plan on marking my Rowland brass to reload to 45 Super/+P 45acp
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

I mark my brass ONLY on new reloads now. If I am developing a load or trying a new recipe. I have about 10 different colors to choose from but I usually only use red, green, blue and black. As for perm marking, like notching to show the amount of reloads, nope, I found once that I had a shell that looked like a freaking daisy cause someone did that...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Last edited by stilly; 01-02-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
I guess I am more concerned about how many times it is loaded than most people. Here is my system:

The .223 a red for the first loading, green for second, purple for third and a black line does not get loaded again. The .556 has a separate system but different colors are used to help speed up the process when separating them. Same procedure for 9mm cases. My .45acp and 10mm get loaded till they crack so they are all marked with whatever marker is handy.
If I did this I'd probably go Green, yellow, red...

Has it gotten this bad with people scrounging other people's brass lately?

(My local range has not been real busy, as people paying retail for .223 do not want to shoot it, but it is good and not as cramped as it used to be.)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here is a pretty slick solution:

Contact info: http://www.mrshooter.com/mrshooterbrassmarker.html

I have no financial interest in this product but do respect the inventor and have no reservations in recommending him personally.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I second the Mr. Shooter product and I also have not financial interest in the product.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 PM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I mark mine on the inside with powder residue.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 01-02-2013, 3:43 PM

That mr. shooter rig is awesome! I'm not ready to drop $60 on it yet, but the results are outstanding.

I wonder if a scribe line across the bottom would cause trouble? It seems like it'd be OK,at least for 9mm, but what do I know.
Old 01-02-2013, 6:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

LoL.

I dunno if we really need to reinvent the wheel. Yeah it is cute and all but just running a sharpie across the row in an mtm ammo holder is pretty fast too... I suppose it has its uses.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat View Post
Bad idea, this will put a layer of stuff on the case which flakes off, IN the gun and IN the magazine. Swarf in either the gun or magazine is a recipe for malfunctions.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I mark my rifle brass with a large sharpie because some ranges get bitter when you pick up brass(angeles) and tell you to only pick up your own brass.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 AM

The only time I mark my cases are when I am doing test loads. I will write the charge weight and sometimes what powder on the side of the brass.
Old 01-03-2013, 1:17 AM

i use red, black, blue and green, right around the primer and case. Not all the time but only when i need to.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

I mark my brass if I modify it. So, if I cut a 41 Mag case with a split neck down to 41 Special length, I paint the back black, with a sharpie. I also do this when I cut down 9mm Luger brass for Makarov. I always seem to lose a couple when I go to a public range, and I want the next loader to know it's been cut.

...and I get banned from OT for doing MUCH LESS than what they did?!?!?! Nice job "Mods"...