Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-31-2012, 5:03 PM
Default Bringing in guns from NC

Hi guys,
I have an out of the ordinary situation. I've searched alot and read alot, and although I think I know the answer by now, it would be helpful if I can get some advise from people who do transfers everyday.

In a couple weeks my wife will be traveling to NC to see her father, for what we believe to be, the last time. He will be giving her his .243 Ruger rifle and a revolver. I've already done my research on how to transport them on the plane back and such, so we're good there. But, what I'm a little unsure of is the documentation part of it all.

Does he need to transfer them to her while she's in NC? Or do we just register the 357 when she gets back? From what I've studied up on, the rifle does not need to be registered here, but the pistol does, and ownership docs are not required to check them onto the plane. I'd prefer she didn't have to mess with the paperwork stuff while she's over there, since her trip isn't gonna be that long to begin with. Not to mention, this is especially difficult for my father-in-law. Losing the guns thing, more than the dying thing...

From what I've researched, she can bring both guns with her, without doing any paperwork in NC, and the pistol will need to be registered within 60 days of her plane arriving. Correct?

Also, how do I register the 357 in CA anyway? Do I just take it into any FFL and ask to register it? Take it to the PD? Hopefully not the PD! Can I do this with my father-in-law in a different state?

BTW-I'm not a newb, I own several firearms, just never had to deal with something like this before?

Thanks for your help
Old 12-31-2012, 6:00 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If Father lives in NC and daughter lives in CA, that's an interstate transfer, and she may NOT take possession in NC - have to be shipped to a CA FFL.

If, sadly, Father should pass and explicitly leave the guns to daughter in his will, then when the estate is distributed, she could just take them.

Federal law requires the FFL in the case of interstate transfer, but inheritance is exempted.

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki articles on

Intrafamilial transfer -

Interstate transfer -

Inheritance -
Calguns Wiki, Magazine Qs, Knife laws

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-31-2012, 7:46 PM

Ok, that complicates things. Thank you for your response