Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM

Default LEO Firearm law exemptions.

I am aware that LEO's are exempt from a few firearm law in CA. I am aware of the greater than 10 round magazine laws, the evil black rifle with department approval, carrying concealed off duty and buying off roster firearms. I know they are not exempt from DROS and the waiting period.

Can they carry off duty in more places than someone with a regular permit?
Are there other exemptions or perhaps restrictions?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I know they get some courtesies not available to non-LEO.

For example, a Calguns LEO member attended one of the Nordyke arguments in SF, and the US Marshals at the courthouse checked his sidearm for him - they do not seem to do that for non-LEO.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

With a letter from the employing department leo's can bypass the 10 wait for a purchase to be used in the scope of duties. Like a bug or your off duty or duty gun if you don't have to carry the dept issued. Yes there are places that a ccw holder can not carry, but leo's can, court houses and gov't buildings if there for official business. As far as business' with sign's I'm not positive anyone has ever made an issue of it. I can't speak for everyone but for me it was never a 9-5 type job that you turn off when you leave the office.
Old 12-31-2012, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
With a letter from the employing department leo's can bypass the 10 wait for a purchase to be used in the scope of duties. Like a bug or your off duty or duty gun if you don't have to carry the dept issued. Yes there are places that a ccw holder can not carry, but leo's can, court houses and gov't buildings if there for official business. As far as business' with sign's I'm not positive anyone has ever made an issue of it. I can't speak for everyone but for me it was never a 9-5 type job that you turn off when you leave the office.
The 10 day wait exemption does not have to be for a gun in the scope of their duties. It's a common misconception and many departments will not issue a letter for a non-duty gun.
Old 12-31-2012, 1:26 PM

This has a complex answer. The 10 day exemption is by agency policy but the State has not restirctions on what you purchase. In short if your agency grants you a 10 day waiver then you can use it to purchase any gun or magazine. Some agencies will only grant one for authorized on duty and/or off duty weapons, and some AW.

Ca has a 24/7 on duty provision/assumption which is restricted by agencies and or recommended by legal defense attorneys.

As far as the CCW. Yes LEO get greater latitude under the law on and off duty, however both state and federal courts have issued policies prohibiting LEO entering courts with a firearm for unofficial business, most commonly in bankruptcy and family courts. Ulitmately it's upto the presiding judge on this matter.

Ca does not have a private property/business ban like other states, such as AZ but some business/establishments have practice or policy. Most common locations are Disneyland, Universal, nightclubs where there is some sort of security check in/screening process. Many CA LEO get in trouble with this lack of provision because they get HBD and stupid and somewhere along the line they get in a dispute with someone or in some cases themselves and out comes the Rosco.

This matter is more complex then the summary I provided.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2012, 1:32 PM

What are HBD and Rosco?
Old 12-31-2012, 1:44 PM

Never had a problem carrying concealed in Disneyland. Of course, it's not like I ever advertise that I'm carrying.
Old 12-31-2012, 1:44 PM

Never had a problem carrying concealed in Disneyland. Of course, it's not like I ever advertise that I'm carrying.
Old 12-31-2012, 1:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyDeath View Post
What are HBD and Rosco?
Rosco is old slang for a handgun. (Dan Turner? I Did Not Know That.)

HBD, I think, is something like 'Have Badge Disease', something of an over-reliance on LEO status when a behavior might be questioned. Nope, see below. (Obviously, I Did Not Know That, Either!)

the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-31-2012 at 2:39 PM..
Old 12-31-2012, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

HBD = Has Been Drinking

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 12-31-2012, 2:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
HBD = Has Been Drinking
Ah. I am corrected.

Old 12-31-2012, 3:43 PM

Oh ok, doesn't CA law prohibit carry under the influence of alcohol.
Old 12-31-2012, 4:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh ok, doesn't CA law prohibit carry under the influence of alcohol.
No.

I don't think it's wise, but PC is silent about the specific carry + alcohol consumption.

But now drifting into non-LEO territory; any more questions appropriate for this forum?

Old 12-31-2012, 4:57 PM
Banned

There are places like the staples center and home depot center that ban leos even. I worked off duty on a high risk personal protection government contract with federal credentials and they still would not let us carry in civilian clothes
Old 12-31-2012, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc360 View Post
In short if your agency grants you a 10 day waiver then you can use it to purchase any gun or magazine.
There is no letter/waiver requirement for magazine purchases.
Old 12-31-2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
HBD = Has Been Drinking
I thought it was "Heavy Badge Disorder"
Old 12-31-2012, 7:48 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:

The Bear goes everywhere
Old 12-31-2012, 7:51 PM

Default Rules Don't Always Work As Intended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancommando View Post
There are places like the staples center and home depot center that ban leos even. I worked off duty on a high risk personal protection government contract with federal credentials and they still would not let us carry in civilian clothes
Another great place for a crazy man to have his way.
Old 12-31-2012, 8:41 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Another great place for a crazy man to have his way.
Yes. The folly of a 'gun free zone' translates into 'A bunch of soft targets gathered into a slaughter pen with no means to defend themselves'.
Old 12-31-2012, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

I was just having this conversation, LEO is under the impression that his dept approved black rifle once registered as an Assault Weapon will always be an AW . . . So upon leaving the dept would have to have the rifle destroyed upper and all.. Dept won't force the destroying of said rifle but will make officer sign release form stating that it is a felony to posses said rifle..

I thought you could un-register or atleast remove the upper from the lower .. upper being <16" and at least rebuild the rifle as a pistol .. any one have any more information on this?
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancommando View Post
Federal LEO or federal contract security credentials? Trying to stop a federal LEO with credentials while working = jail time
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
I was just having this conversation, LEO is under the impression that his dept approved black rifle once registered as an Assault Weapon will always be an AW . . . So upon leaving the dept would have to have the rifle destroyed upper and all.. Dept won't force the destroying of said rifle but will make officer sign release form stating that it is a felony to posses said rifle..

I thought you could un-register or atleast remove the upper from the lower .. upper being <16" and at least rebuild the rifle as a pistol .. any one have any more information on this?
Yeah... I'm not about to buy an expensive rifle for work and then 'turn it in' when I retire because of the 'opinion' of some hippie government hack.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post

This is a major point of contention (Many threads on this issue). All that exists today is an AG letter opinion.

Unless the lower is an AW by name it can be put into a compliant form & unregistered.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 PM

I thought they were still fighting that lil gift from JB, as he left.
Anyway once registered as an AW, which it has to be , unless you want other problems, there is no proceedure provided to unregister it or change it to a compliant form, state doesnt care , just another fubared CA, rule/law/opinion, depending on who you get at the CA GOV Firearms Bureau.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

So far, it's a divided debate with half of the agencies in my area saying you have to return it or de-AWB it with BB's and the other half saying screw it, keep it, it's already a RAW which is in your name and there's nothing that addresses otherwise besides Moonbeam's parting shot which holds no weight other than non-precedent persuasive argument for a court that may be too lazy to do their own analysis.

As for other LEO courtesies, everyone has already said their piece which are all correct and while CA does not specifically ban alcohol or being under the influence while carrying, LEOSA does, and LEOSA also talks about government buildings not being subject to LEOSA if there are such rules in place.

It doesn't matter if you are a 24 hour peace officer status LEO in CA carrying on that status, but for limited status LEO's who are not 24 hour but are carrying under LEOSA in state, such as level 1ND or level 2 reserves or LA General Services Police who are prohibited by state law from CCW while off duty, you would have to be mindful of LEOSA restrictions as well as agency restrictions which don't conflict with LEOSA.
Old 01-01-2013, 6:05 AM

Default That's a New One

What Laws says Cal. Reserves can't carry CCW (off-duty).

Triple
Old 01-01-2013, 7:20 AM

Some LEO's can carry on the plane. No CCW can do that. It's nice to bypass tsa, keep my shaving cream and board first.
Old 01-01-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What Laws says Cal. Reserves can't carry CCW (off-duty).

Triple
The same laws that define the levels of reserves with level 1-Designated being the only one that is 24 hour status. (P.C. 836, et.al.)

All other levels are not peace officers when not acting in their official capacity (on duty) and need a CCW from the agency under state law to carry off duty, which is in itself kinda superfluous to say, because if you are not peace officer status and you have a CCW, you are carrying like any other civilian with a CCW, just with an ID that says reserve on it.

The conflict comes in with LEOSA stating all qualified officers can carry off duty, as long as they can carry on duty and have statutory arrest powers, which now includes level 1ND and level 2 but not level 3 reserves. Since LEOSA is federal and the language specifically trumps and overrides state law in such situations, it is the controlling law.

Your agency might not like it, and some local ones here sure don't, and still enforce their own version and interpretation, but it is federal law and it is pretty clear on its face what it is supposed to do.

BTW, I hear CA's CRPOA had a huge hand in pushing for some LEOSAIA provisions as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 9:55 AM

So if my understanding is correct. LEOSA says Level 1 & Level 2 Reserves can carry CCW, but some departments don't allow that, unless that Department gives them a CCW, in which case everything is covered at that point.

Triple

Last edited by TripleThreat; 01-01-2013 at 3:48 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Legally, yes, as well as administratively.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM

To throw another layer on the heap, California peace officers who do not have authority when off-duty nevertheless have the status of peace officer at all times. I know, an arcane differentiation, but true. That is the basis of the Orange County appeals court ruling located here:

http://law.justia.com/cases/californ...th/14/575.html

And the LA Times article announcing it here has a little more background:

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-03-...peace-officers

While this issue specifically addressed classifications that are not reserve police officers or deputy sheriffs the logic seems to apply to most classifications found below 830.3 in the Penal Code. In essence the issue was solved for most alternative classifications in California prior to LEOSA, but that additional law is helpful as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So if my understanding is correct. LEOSAIA says Level 1 & Level 2 Reserves can carry CCW, but some departments don't allow that, unless that Department gives them a CCW, in which case everything is covered at that point.

Triple
That's a pretty good summary, although LEOSA may also extent to Level 3 reserves. There's a language problem involved here. LEOSA applies to officers authorized the carry weapons and that have statutory powers of arrest. Penal Code section section 830.6 defines reserve officers as peace officers. Section 832.6 provides significant limitations on the exercise of those powers by Level 3 reserves, but it still includes them within the definition of "peace officers."

The real rub between state law and the LEOSA is that they're inconsistent, and there is no requirement for consistency. LEOSA is a federal statute, and if a person has authority to carry under LEOSA, a state law prohibition is moot.

But before concluding that a reserve peace office can carry irrespective of their agency's requirements - consider this. The reserve officer is bound to follow their agency's policies. If one of those is not to CCW off-duty, the agency may terminate employment for violation of agency policy. When no longer employed, the LEOSA authority goes away. LEOSA does provide a carry authority to some former and retired officers, but only if they are issued an ID card. Nothing in the law requires the agency to issue such a card.

Remember - There is no requirement for consistency between state law, agency policy and LEOSA. It's going to take a while for the whole issue to shake out in court.
Old 01-01-2013, 3:49 PM

Great info. I hope this all get sorted out sooner rather than later.

Triple
Old 01-01-2013, 5:28 PM

Maybe I am off base here, but dui and concealed carry ui should have the same standards, but no jail on the first one. The firearm should be taken into custody. Anyone who drinks should have a place to put the weapon first.

Those who choose safety over freedom are neither safe or free!
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)
“It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.” —- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson
Old 01-01-2013, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Level 3 reserves who don't carry a firearm on duty and have no statutory arrest authority are not considered "qualified" officers under LEOSA/LEOSAIA.

As for other reserves being stuck, yes, you can do it within legal limits but get screwed by your agency. There was a big fight over this with certain agencies about whether you can take away the statutory rights granted specifically to qualified individuals and some agencies just threw up their hands and said they give up and don't regulate anything and let their guys go under LEOSA and not anything within agency policy.
Old 01-01-2013, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Level 3 reserves who don't carry a firearm on duty and have no statutory arrest authority are not considered "qualified" officers under LEOSA/LEOSAIA.

As for other reserves being stuck, yes, you can do it within legal limits but get screwed by your agency. There was a big fight over this with certain agencies about whether you can take away the statutory rights granted specifically to qualified individuals and some agencies just threw up their hands and said they give up and don't regulate anything and let their guys go under LEOSA and not anything within agency policy.
Notorious,

Level 3 reserves do possess statutory powers of arrest. That authority is provided by Penal Code section 830.6 subject to the training requirements of section 832.6. Section 832.6 provides a very restrictive range of duties that Level 3 reserves may perform, and it imposes close supervision requirements, but it does not remove their powers of arrest.

You're quite correct that Level 3's who are not authorized to carry a firearm are not qualified under LEOSA.

However those Level 3's that are authorized to carry do fall under LEOSA.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuGunner View Post
True, just spent the last three days there(happy new year) with my G27 IWB.
Old 01-02-2013, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
True, just spent the last three days there(happy new year) with my G27 IWB.
I've been to Disney and I don't advertise and they don't check. However, unless I was forced to, I won't go there voluntarily and support that place.

I would go to Knott's any day of the week over Disney and give them all my support as they give us all the support they can, unabashedly. When they invite cops to go, they don't ask about your weapon because they know for those days where cops go, it's the safest park anywhere on Earth. Smart people, those Knott's.
Old 01-02-2013, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am aware that LEO's are exempt from a few firearm law in CA. I am aware of the greater than 10 round magazine laws, the evil black rifle with department approval, carrying concealed off duty and buying off roster firearms. I know they are not exempt from DROS and the waiting period.

Here is the list:

1). Can buy and use ANY magazines. Can also buy any magazines even for a firearm that can't be used on or off duty.

2). Can get AW's with department letter.

3). Can carry LOADED long guns in a vehicle. (If You want to )

4).Can carry CCW style anywhere in USA (off duty, vacations etc) LEOSA .

5).Can buy ANY handgun that is not on a roster . (As long as it is not an AW). Even if it can't be used on or off duty.

Last edited by ap3572001; 01-02-2013 at 8:04 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
Here is the list:

1). Can buy and use ANY magazines. Can also buy any magazines even for a firearm that can't be used on or off duty.
Be careful with #1. On the surface, it would be illegal to 'manufacture an assault weapon' by inserting a large capacity magazine into a fixed magazine rifle. There is likely some defense under LEOSA, but there isn't clear case law for this in the 9th circuit...yet.