Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-09-2013, 1:58 PM

Default Help me with first shotty purchase

I am in the market for a combo-barrel shotgun, more specifically a Mossberg 500. The local sporting goods chain has a 12ga combo with a camo finish and it comes with three screw-in choke tubes.

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/pro...gun-combo.html

Or I can order the 'Mossberg 54169' model online and hope that some currently out of stock dealer is able to fulfill my order. This model comes with the same barrels but has a wood stock and includes a pistol grip.

Price is about the same. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance ...
Old 01-09-2013, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

The first bit of advice is not to call it a "shotty". It makes you sound like a noob.

Second, any 500 combo you get will be fine. Pick the one that fits your requirements and pocketbook best. I still have my original Model 500 that I bought decades ago. I have put a LOT of shells through it, and it is still going strong. If this is your first shotgun, and you feel like you need one soon, I would go with whatever is in stock. With this panic, who knows how long it will take places to restock? And the nice thing about these is that there are tons of after market goodies out there. If you don't like the stock, the barrel, or just about anything else, you can swap it out easily.

-Mb
Old 01-09-2013, 2:19 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Sounds like you pretty much know what you want, so hit up a big5, turners, or local chain store and buy it. I honestly prefer a good 870 over Mossberg, but its just an opinion, and you know what they say about those. I have an 870 that went through a handful of changes from factory, to wingmaster furniture (my favorite of the bunch) to a pistol grip/forend and back to factory synthetic for weight savings.

If I had to do it again, I would buy an 870 over, and I've had a Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, and the 870. (as well as a SxS and Beretta Urika II)

The 870 just feels the best, smoothest action, built like a tank, and more parts for those than probably any shotgun on the market. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
Old 01-09-2013, 2:40 PM

Thanks for the noob tip, Mb. but i AM a noob

I guess the question is, what is more valuable ... a pistol grip or a camo finish? That's basically the only difference between the two. This would be used for HD at first and eventually for hunting.

I could go even cheaper and get the Big 5 "standard" 12ga combo, but that has the fixed choke barrel, and I prefer the flexibility of different chokes.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 01-09-2013, 3:06 PM

if you like the camo finish, buy that one. easier to swap out to pistol grip later than to refinish entire shotgun with camo.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.
Old 01-09-2013, 3:17 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

I would also try shooting it first with a pistol grip, and more than likely you won't like it. I haven't met too many people who can put more than 15-20 rounds down the tube with a pistol grip pump, and ENJOY it. You can essentially do the same thing with a regular shotgun stock and hold it like a pistol grip. When you look at the angle of your hand holding a pistol grip while shooting it, and look at a regular shotgun stock to see the difference. I actually have a shotgun stock that was modified into a pistol grip and it was WAY nicer to shoot that way. Either way, it went back to a full stock anyway, but don't sell your stock set in lieu of a pistol grip until you get some rounds down it.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary1911 View Post
if you like the camo finish, buy that one. easier to swap out to pistol grip later than to refinish entire shotgun with camo.
The camo finish, assuming you like it, is the better choice. Pistol grips are under $10 on ebay. And while they look cool, they aren't all that useful. The changable chokes are also nice, but not essential. If your budget is tight, I would skip it. You can always pick up another barrel later. We were all noob once, so don't worry about it. And don't stress about the 500 vs. the 870. That argument has raged for decades. If you are happy with it, it will last you a very long time. Figure out what you want to do with it, and dress it up appropriately. You can leave it stock with the long barrel and nothing else, of go full tacti-cool. I used mine for trap and 5 stand all through college. Currently it is set up with the riot barrel and other do-hickies to make it more useful for home defense. It also spent a few years as a deer shotgun with a slug barrel. That is the nice thing about these. You can do so much with them.

-Mb
Old 01-10-2013, 9:26 PM

I love my 500

pistol grips = useless

get the camo

dont waste money on tacticool accessories. all you need is a light.
Old 01-10-2013, 9:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

you've gotten some good advise here already, but i wanted to make some suggestions as well.

imho, the KISS approach to a HD shotgun is optimal. i suggest you buy a standard stock shotgun without the trimmings, gidgets and gadgets. over time, your visits to the range will instruct you on what modifications you might want to make. the versatility that the aftermarket brings to you ensures you can have it your way; find out what your practical needs are first. a standard stock will always come in handy when your HD shotgun becomes your hunting shotgun. i believe you'd be best served to learn to shoot with a standard stock, and develop good habits with that before considering alternatives in stock selection.
Old 01-10-2013, 9:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

PGs only shotguns are for tactifool mall ninjas. I give it no more than 5 more posts for the first one to come out of the woodwork and try to justify why their PG only shotguns.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 01-11-2013, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
PGs only shotguns are for tactifool mall ninjas. I give it no more than 5 more posts for the first one to come out of the woodwork and try to justify why their PG only shotguns.
Nah. I don't think you will get any takers. The shotgun discussion section isn't cool enough for the mall ninjas. They will never see this thread. And not many people actually like pistol grips after they have fired them once.

-Mb
Old 01-11-2013, 8:56 AM
Banned

Where you located? If in San Diego Wiser Owl has some good deals in stock, and great CS. I just bought an 870 I didn't need yesterday...whole process too me about 20 mins start to finish including me looking at the weapon.
Old 01-11-2013, 9:05 AM

Other than the size reduction (which is negated by the uncontrollability), I can't see the rationale behind the pistol girp on a shotgun. I shot a few dozen rounds from a Mossberg 590a1 Cruiser a few years ago and I HATED it.

It changed the dynamics of the recoil absorption so much that it felt more like a burst from a firehose (that I was akwardly holding).... I'll stick to shoulder firing thank you very much.

As far as the OP's post, I personally prefer the Remington 870 (I own a 870 Marine Magnum), however the Mossberg 500 series is a solid choice (Excluding the 590a1). Entry level shotguns are relatively inexpensive and similar in construction (not much to a shotgun) so might as well dig a little deeper and pay the extra bucks for a nice(r) one.

Good luck with the purchase, hope you find one you like.

P.S. I would stop calling it a "shotty", at least around here

Last edited by Insight.556; 01-11-2013 at 9:20 AM..
Old 01-11-2013, 9:24 AM

Shotties are fo thugs yo!

I'd get the standard synthetic stock Big 5 Mossberg combo. It will make do when you want to hunt, but isn't a hunting shotgun IMO.

Buy a hunting shotgun later when you can afford it and have a better idea of what you want.
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring “meat for the tribe.” It should be noted it’s a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

The pistol grip only option is, to my best guess (having never shot one), worthless.

A full length stock with a pistol grip is personal opinion I think. My opinion being that I prefer traditional stocks.
Old 01-11-2013, 7:38 PM

Standard stock, short or standard length. Anything other than that, you're a poser or worse, a mall ninja.

Be serious about your choice, not comic strip cool.

NoSTAZ
Old 01-11-2013, 7:49 PM

Mossberg for the win. Looks at the 590 series as well, are a beefed up version of the 500. I use a Remington at work, hate um.

Triple
Old 01-11-2013, 9:31 PM

Shotgun, o/u, scattergun, sxs, smoothbore, > shotty.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoflyer View Post
Shotties are fo thugs yo!

I'd get the standard synthetic stock Big 5 Mossberg combo. It will make do when you want to hunt, but isn't a hunting shotgun IMO.

Buy a hunting shotgun later when you can afford it and have a better idea of what you want.
^^AGREED^^

My first shotgun was a Mossberg Security Model 88; Big 5 had it on sale for $159.99 (15 years ago). The sale price has gone up to $239 I think, but I shot the mother loving h*** out of it and it never failed. After owning something basic, you should have a better idea of what your looking for when your ready for the next tier... IMHO.