Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Ventura Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 4:17 AM
Veteran Member

Default Tactical Training/Shooting

I'm looking for LOCAL shooters interested in "tactical training/shooting".

Before I get into specifics, please read this next part very carefully...

I have no interest in pretending to be a solider. I'm not trying to form or hoping to join a militia. I'm not a weekend warrior wanting to play GI Joe. I'm not trying to fulfill a Red Dawn, Call of Duty or "end of days/SHTF" fantasy. I'm not training to "fight the government when they come to take my guns". Or some other such non-sense (NOTHING ILLEGAL!!!!!).

If that's your intention, please DO NOT contact me.

Instead, the purpose of this shooting/training is purely fun because it gets boring just standing and shooting at a paper target from a fixed and known distance.

Plus that does not reflect reality. The use of a firearm in a self defense, home defense or even active shooter type scenario is not stand in plain sight and take your time to aim, fire, reload, etc. while remaining perfectly clam (maintain heart rate, breathing)...

#1. Location? I've never been to an indoor or outdoor range that will let you use a holster or even a sling, nor will they let you rapid fire, double tap, etc. Let alone run tactical drills. A suitable unpopulated spot will need to be acquired to allow for safe training and set up of targets/obstacles. Space and safety are primary concerns.

#2. What are tactical drills? Some ideas are transitions from rifle to pistol and back to rifle. Reloading. Shooting from behind/under/around/over/through cover. Shooting while moving (run/walk). Room clearing. Door breaching. Shooting targets at unknown distances. Also shooting from different positions (sit, stand, kneel, prone, on back), etc...

Basically a heavily scaled down non-serious version of a LEO/MIL/PMC tactical course you'll spend thousands of dollars to take.

That's all I care to go into for now. So if you're interested, send me a PM.

Last edited by TacticalPlinker; 12-31-2012 at 4:21 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
CGSSA Associate, Ventura Co.
CGN Contributor

These guys do everything you are describing. I've done all my handgun and rifle classes with them. Not cheap, but awesome instruction.

http://www.tacfire.com/

RM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMonkey View Post
These guys do everything you are describing. I've done all my handgun and rifle classes with them. Not cheap, but awesome instruction.
http://www.tacfire.com/
RM
Ouch. $350 / day for a Handgun 1 course is steep.

OP, I'd advise some caution getting a group of shooters of unknown skill level to do anything beyond basic gun manipulation. If you do, please consider some type of body armor for any type of dynamic movement or room entry drills. Good luck, man.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM
CGSSA Associate, Ventura Co.
CGN Contributor

Yes it is. I was looking to get the same type of training OP is looking for. For the same reason you caution him, is why it is to me, worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2012, 4:05 PM

Sounds interesting, I would think the hardest part of this proposal would be to find a location that would allow at least 180 degrees of safe zone for live fire.
When I was in the police reserves, we had to qualify every 3 months at our local police and sheriff gun range. It included close rapid fire as well as cover and shoot tactics. The night qualifications were the best and challenging; with lights and sirens hollowing, we had to empty 2 mags at 10 feet, 20, 30, and 50 feet apart. The shot gun qualifying was interesting also.
The years have gone by, I’m just wondering how my conditioning and mental status would hold up to such a scenario. Sound like fun.
Old 12-31-2012, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
OP, I'd advise some caution getting a group of shooters of unknown skill level to do anything beyond basic gun manipulation. If you do, please consider some type of body armor for any type of dynamic movement or room entry drills. Good luck, man.
Of course safety will be a prime concern. I have no desire to be shot. Safety will be addressed at a later date, as will armor.

That said... I guess this was not clear enough...
Quote:
Basically a heavily scaled down non-serious version of a LEO/MIL/PMC tactical course you'll spend thousands of dollars to take.
Let me clarify further...

Please, stop sending me links to classes and organizations. Spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a class(es) or joining a competition organization is either not an option at this time due to finances, or simply not what I'm looking for.

I am not active or former military, law enforcement or a civilian contractor. I'm not training for war, law enforcement or personal protection detail. Nor am I training for competition.

Do not misunderstand. Although training of this format will provide useful real world skills, this is strictly for fun and knowledge. Nothing else.