Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Default Bullet Recoil Movement (creep)

I need to gain ammunition case malleability knowledge from you reloading experts. Does pistol/revolver brass loose it's rigidity around the neck the more rounds spent? I started with new Remington brass and used 3/4 turn on my Lee factory crimp die to create a roll crimp. This is my 3rd time reloading these rounds and now I'm starting to see bullet recoil movement (creep). The round on the top in the picture has not been fired in my 5" 629. The round at the bottom was the sixth round in the cylinder after the other five rounds were fired. The bullet creep shows movement towards the back of the bullets cannelure. The crimp is still within the cannelure and is probably normal movement but I don't like visually seeing any movement. I've been using 240 gr HP-XTP bullets in front of 20.5 gr of 2400. I think I will give it a stouter crimp, more towards 1 full turn on my Lee factory crimp die. I just don't feel the pressure on the presses handle when forming the roll crimp like I did when the cases were new. I'll be purchasing Starline brass in the future to do a comparison.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You can adjust the crimp tighter or adjust the bullet seating stem so that the bullets are seated so that the crimp is at the back of the channelure where it shows in picture 2.

You're crimping in the cannelure where the bullet diameters is the smallest, if you crimp at the very back of the cannelure the crimp will hold it more securely and it won't creep any further.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Generally, brass will work harden as it is continually sized. This hardening will cause it to be more springy and you will lose neck tension and the roll crimp will spring back away from the bullet more than new brass. You can anneal the brass up by the case mouth and it will help, or as Fjold recommened, just crimp down more where it stops creeping. I am actually surprised you are getting that many loads out of your .44RM brass, I get 4 best case.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
You can adjust the crimp tighter or adjust the bullet seating stem so that the bullets are seated so that the crimp is at the back of the channelure where it shows in picture 2.

You're crimping in the cannelure where the bullet diameters is the smallest, if you crimp at the very back of the cannelure the crimp will hold it more securely and it won't creep any further.
This is interesting. If you are loading for a lever gun, would it then be wise to seat to and crimp at the upper edge of channelure? My concern with levers is the bullet seating due to recoil.