Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-27-2012, 6:12 PM

Default Buyback question

I only ask this question because it raises a question in my mind on the buy backs all of these departments are doing.
I was deployed and had firearms in a girlfriends house and once I returned and was out of the military hospital I was given part of the weapons back by a friend in our unit. Upon contacting the ex-friend about the other guns and mags I was told I was given them all. I was not so I was instructed by my command to leave her alone and all I could do is contact San Diego PD which I did and filled out a police report.
So when someone turns in a gun at one of these programs are these guns serial numbers run so that someone like me in this situation has a chance to get our guns back. Thanks for anyone that can shed some light on this to me....
Old 12-27-2012, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

They run the serial numbers and any that are reported stolen are returned to their owners.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 12-27-2012, 8:11 PM

Yup...what Ron-Solo said.
Old 12-27-2012, 8:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
They run the serial numbers and any that are reported stolen are returned to their owners.
Nice.

I vote for more buy backs and less new anti gun laws.

"I've heard this is a good read. I'm mean, I haven't read it myself but many very smart people said it's a good read. Believe me, many people are saying it....."
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 PM

Ron-Solo thanks for the info it does ease my mind some. Still hurts to know they are out in someone elses hands though....
Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I know what you mean. Had some of my gun stolen from my parents house many years ago, including the Smith revolver my grandpa used with San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department in the 40's and 50's and the Marlin Model 60 and RugerSingle Six I learned to shoot with.

This was in the early 80's. Every serial number was provided to the police, they were still in the ystem last time I checked, but they have fever surfaced.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM

The law only requires that we make "due diligence" in locating the registered owner. You don't mention when this occurred or even if your ex acutally turned them in. If its been at least that long and they have documentation that they made an effort to locate the Reg Owner then more than likely they've been destroyed. Buy back programs are designed to quickly get rid of guns not store them. I hope your ex did turn them in and not gave them to someone. Good Luck.