Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 7:08 PM

Default First time at an outdoor range with a pistol - what to expect?

I recently purchased a Ruger 22/45 MK III and I'm looking to visit an outdoor range for the first time in the Bay Area once the rain eases up. I'm thinking Los Gatos, Sunnyvale, or Metcalf. What should I expect?

I understand that some ranges don't sell ammo, but that won't be a problem as I'll bring my own, as well as eye/hearing protection. Do I need to bring my own targets as well? Tape? Staplers? Will they have things I can tape/staple targets to? Do I need to bring a target STAND?

Are outdoor ranges farther? I have some 3, 4" reactive targets but I feel like I won't be able to see them at like 25 yards. Should I bring binoculars for spotting? I imagine there isn't a switch to bring your target back to you... will I run out of things to shoot before the 15 minute firing period is up if I only have a pistol to shoot?

So many questions...
Old 12-25-2012, 7:14 PM
The other white meat.
CGN Contributor

each of the ranges you mentioned have web sites that answer your questions

No matter what happens you'll have fun. I doubt any of the people working at the ranges will have problems answering your questions... you might even be asked to sign something stating they explained it to you

I would suggest bringing targets (whatever you like), water to drink, and if you have it already bring the spotting scope but if you're using a pistol then it's really not needed.
Old 12-25-2012, 8:05 PM

I visited the websites and some of them answered SOME questions at best. I understand that they'll set me up when I arrive, but seeing how Sunnyvale/Los Altos ranges are in the middle of nowhere I'd rather go prepared... hence this post. Thanks for the water tip!
Old 12-25-2012, 8:07 PM
The other white meat.
CGN Contributor

i always go as if i was camping. bring more then i'll use but it's easier to leave stuff in the car then wish i had brought it
Old 12-25-2012, 8:07 PM

Lots of fun!!
Old 12-25-2012, 9:13 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Most outdoor ranges provide/sell targets. If you are shooting a handgun, remember that you cannot go downrange until a Cease Fire is called (about once every twenty minutes or so). Because you can't stroll out and check your target whenever you feel like, I would recommend bringing some Shoot-N-C stickers to put on your target, and maybe a pair of binoculars.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Put everything you think you need in the car. Then use it or don't. Bring targets, they may not have the ones you want.

I'm not clear if it's your first time shooting, your first time shooting outdoors, or your first time shooting outdoors in the Bay Area.

However:

If it's a commercial range (pay to shoot), introduce yourself to people in the office/store, tell them it's your first time there. You'll be surprised how nice they are to you and they'll give you a tour if it's not too busy. (Expect it to be busy on weekends. I usually shoot on Tuesday afternoons)
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I agree with Bonnie.
Outdoor shooting is awesome because it offers space vs an indoor range lane; but you must be prepared for things.
Lythor mentioned going as if you where camping and that is great advise.
Go over prepared as Bonnie mentioned until you have experience and know what your base outdoor range items are.
I travel with clothes to match the climate and since my outdoor range is at 4500 ft, in the winter I pack for cold weather.
I bring:
* water mostly
* but also 1 gatorade
* 1 soda or ice tea
* coffee
* trail mix
* apple and banana
If I am going for the day I bring up a subway sandwich or burrito.
I take my own targets and target stands because I dont like to pay for the ranges and because I like using reusable items.
I bring:
* staple gun (moving to adhessive spray soon)
* staples
* tool kits for gun and target repairs
* wear good boots for walking on a rocky range
* full brimmed hat
* shooting mat
guns and ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Put everything you think you need in the car. Then use it or don't. Bring targets, they may not have the ones you want.

I'm not clear if it's your first time shooting, your first time shooting outdoors, or your first time shooting outdoors in the Bay Area.

However:

If it's a commercial range (pay to shoot), introduce yourself to people in the office/store, tell them it's your first time there. You'll be surprised how nice they are to you and they'll give you a tour if it's not too busy. (Expect it to be busy on weekends. I usually shoot on Tuesday afternoons)

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 12-29-2012, 2:46 PM
CGN Contributor

Don’t over think it. A few targets, maybe some shoot-N-C dots, and basic general supplies is all you need. Since you’re shooting 22 I suggest Sunnyvale. They have a separate section for 22’s, including some metal spinning targets. For the metal targets black spray paint is helpful. They also have wood blocks, sand bags, and staple guns for use at no charge. Great guys. As another poster mentioned binoculars are a good idea, especially if you’re taking notes after each shot.