Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-10-2012, 7:30 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Default 1st Time Build Part 2...CPU & Motherboard...Done.

Now, time for the heart and soul of the beast.

Budget...around $350 max. I am not aligned to AMD or Intel. I would like something that will last me (remain competitive) for at least 2 years. I am not a gamer as I have a PS3, but I do notice that the better than average gear is aimed towards gamers.

For the CPU, I would like at least a 1 time upgrade ability with CPU's.

For Mother Boards, I am needing at least 4x USB3.0, two front header and two rear. I also notice some do not have an hdmi output, can I add that with a graphics card? I want to be able to play to and record from (DVR) using a regular tv with hdmi. I also notice that some mobo's have wireless. I would like the ability to receive and propagate a wifi network to be able to stream media to devices throughout the house.

In order from most expensive to very budget friendly...

___________CPU______Mother Board
Option 1: Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77
Option 2: Intel i5 3570K Asus 8Z77 V-Pro
Option 3: AMD FX 8320 AsusSabertooth 990fx R2.0
Option 4: AMD FX 6300 ?
Option 5: AMD A10 ? Cheapo Mobo

Am I on the right track?

Last edited by DavidR310; 12-16-2012 at 8:16 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 8:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Honestly, I'd abandon the idea of future CPU upgrading. Buy the best you can afford now and it'll still be viable in 2 years. Anything that comes out new and is better, will likely not work in the motherboard. I used to think I'd do that too, and in the past 20 years I only upgraded the cpu in my gaming machine once and that was because I had a marginally better one at work that was a drop-in replacement. By the time a 2 year old chip is "showing it's age" there's other things you're better spending money on. Max out the RAM, ssd, that sort of thing. Heck, even a new video card doesn't happen often for me.

The thing to consider is pc hardware may continue to rise in cost/ power, but the software still has to run on a wide base of machines, some 5-7 years old. You aren't a gamer but games are a great example- yes, the latest greates video card will make it look stunning, but it's still got to at least run acceptably on a 3-5 yr old box to sell enough units.

If it were me I'd go with your first option. That's a great chip and the motherboard is solid. Bet the 32 gb ram from day one, you'll be happier for it.
Old 12-11-2012, 2:20 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Yeah the i5 is a great cpu that I would be happy with. Since it has integrated graphics, does that mean I do not need a standalone gpu?
Old 12-11-2012, 2:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Per this link on tomshardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32...-graphics-card

"If you are purchasing a "k" version like the i5-2500k, then it comes with the Intel HD 3000 graphics core. If you are buying a "non-k" version like the i5-2500, then it comes with the slower Intel HD 2000 graphics core.

The Intel HD 3000 is a little more powerful than the Radeon HD 5450.

To use the integrated core, you must use a motherboard with a H67 chipset (which lack overclocking abilities), or the Z68 chipset (which has overclocking abilities). Motherboards based on the P67 chipset cannot access the graphic core, therefore you must install a video card, however it does have overclocking abilities.

I do not believe you can use the integrated graphics core and a video card at the same time. It has to be one or the other. The graphics core will draw a power whether you use it or a video card, but when not in use it will draw minimum power.

The only way to actually stop the integrated graphics core from consuming any power while the PC is on is to take a hammer and smash open the CPU so that you rip out the graphics core. Of course this means your CPU will be destroyed. "

Last edited by billofrights; 12-11-2012 at 2:39 PM.. Reason: added bold for emphasis
Old 12-11-2012, 5:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
Yeah the i5 is a great cpu that I would be happy with. Since it has integrated graphics, does that mean I do not need a standalone gpu?
If you don't plan on doing any gaming, it'll work. If you want to try and play a game that requires any real GPU performance, you'll find yourself watching a slideshow.
Old 12-11-2012, 6:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

So clearly the choice here is the AMD combo.

I am no longer an AMD fanboi but old habits die hard...

I did like what I saw when I looked at the Sabertooth 990FX board. I ended up getting 8GB of ram @ 1833 I think, a Phenom X6 1100 and the mobo for about a combined price of around $379. I did not have a sabertooth though, it was a Biostar 990FX and I chose it because it had some nice features, but USB 3 was a WEIRD plug and I dunno how common those are now. It did not have your usb front and back headers though, I think it only had 2.0 front and back and a 3.0 port or two in the rear. I could be wrong, I would have to go and look. Check it out: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/...?S_ID=560#spec

As for HDMI and recording stuff, that will usually be found in a vid capping device (hauppage makes one) made to record gaming sessions and stuff. but it will be hdmi or other connections into the device and then via usb or firewire it will go to your comp.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitare

Last edited by stilly; 12-11-2012 at 6:08 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 7:47 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hey Stilly, if I had to choose a budget AMD CPU, would you go with the A10 or FX6300?

Last edited by DavidR310; 12-11-2012 at 7:49 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 6:26 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Ok, so since last time, here is what has gone on.

I picked up the following items:

AMD Phenom IIx4 965 Black OEM $74.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $29.99
Verbatim 120 GB SSD $69.99

And now I am stuck on the mother board.

I have narrowed it down to these three:

ASRock 970 EXTREME4 $99
ASRock 990FX Extreme4 $144
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 $189

What do you guys think?
Old 12-13-2012, 7:30 PM

Are you planning on doing any overclocking? I wouldn't bother going with the 990FX unless you were planning on gaming/overclocking. That being said, if your interested in overclocking the 965 should easily be able to get up to around 4ghz with little to no voltage bump. I have a 955 and it runs well at 3.9 on stock voltage.
Old 12-13-2012, 8:39 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt79 View Post
Are you planning on doing any overclocking? I wouldn't bother going with the 990FX unless you were planning on gaming/overclocking. That being said, if your interested in overclocking the 965 should easily be able to get up to around 4ghz with little to no voltage bump. I have a 955 and it runs well at 3.9 on stock voltage.
Once I get all the bugs out, yeah I plan too. I read that the 955/965 overclock easily and very well even with aircooling.
Old 12-16-2012, 8:16 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Well, I went with the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 as newegg has it for $129 with free 3 day shipping.

Can someone tell me that I am doing alright? I have never done this before and am just reading stuff on the interwebz.
Old 12-19-2012, 9:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

David:

I have over 20+ years as a system builder, I'm certified by Microsloth and others. Its all about the components. ASRock wouldnt be my pick for longevity... look to either ASUS or GIGABYTE for the mobo. Cooling and airflow are of the utmost for longevity... As others have said, newegg is about the best place for both price and selection.

Are you up in Yucca Valley? Im in I.E. and would be happy to help you on this first build! Hell, we could have a build party! LOL!
Old 12-25-2012, 5:57 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the response Darryl.

Well for the mobo, I figured, that there is so much stuff on it, that it would be the first to go, so I purchased a newegg 3 year warranty. I am glad I did.

As for my location, yeah, I am up here in the dirt, lol, however, I will be building it at my sisters house in Temecula. I want to show my nephews who are in high school something neat and perhaps spark an interest in computers/electronics.