Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-25-2012, 6:45 AM
Veteran Member

Default PPT On a rifle question

A buddy wants to buy a bolt action rifle from me. He has a checkered past and thinks he might not be eligible to purchase. He filled out some kind of paperwork from the DOJ to see if there would be any restrictions on him. He sent it in along with a 20.00 fee. They (the DOJ) supposedly told him that it would take 2 -3 months to get an answer on the inquiry. Now he is getting antsy and wants to just go and do a PPT and take his chances with the 10 day check.

Question: If we were to do this (do a PPT) before he gets an answer on his request form and he is refused/rejected on the PPT - what happens to the rifle? Does it stay in limbo or do I get it returned to me without issue? I guess I should ask if there would be any ramifications for him as well?

Thanks in advance.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 12-25-2012, 11:35 AM
CGN Contributor

let your friend know he's an idiot if he decides to buy while waiting on the "personal firearms eligibilty check". If he were to try to buy and come up denied, it is a crime that they could prosecute him for if they wanted to. The PFEC is there to protect him if he doesn't know his legal status.

As for the rifle, the PC says that it must be returned to the seller immediately. What happens is that when the seller comes up denied, they immediately run a background check on the seller to see if the firearm can be returned. if the seller passes, all is good, if not, then the firearm is supposed to be turned over to the local LEA.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-25-2012, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jack. That was informative.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."