Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-25-2016, 3:41 PM

Default Can a pro-2A federal gov't help here in CA?

I was thinking about other issues (sanctuary cities, for example) and how the federal gov't can throw its weight around to "persuade" state and city governments to follow the law. And I thought about CA and the over-the-top anti-2A laws we have.

My idea is to write to our pro-2A Congressional representatives (mine is Issa, R-Vista) and encourage him to introduce legislation to withhold or suspend all federal funding, including profit-sharing from drug confiscations, to any state that has gun control laws with carve-outs or exemptions for law enforcement personnel, either as agencies or individuals. That would specifically undermine LE union support for laws like our "Safe Handgun Roster" and others. Those laws were passed with muscle of the unions only because they exempted the union members. If the unions reversed their support, legislators would repeal those laws or the state would lose millions of dollars in federal subsidies.

With the likelihood of a national CCW reciprocity law, this would be a nice addition and consistent with leveling the playing field.
Old 11-25-2016, 3:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes, they can. The states have virtually no say on any issues where the feds can't come in and push them around.

This is not in keeping with the vision of the framers, but it is the reality. The oppression of rights by the State wasn't in their vision either.
Old 11-25-2016, 4:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
That would specifically undermine LE union support for laws like our "Safe Handgun Roster" and others. Those laws were passed with muscle of the unions only because they exempted the union members. If the unions reversed their support, legislators would repeal those laws or the state would lose millions of dollars in federal subsidies.
Nice and popular theory around here, but it doesn't explain Prop. 63.

Prop. 63 was opposed by several law enforcement organizations:

California State Sheriff’s Association
California Correctional Peace Officers Association
California Police Chiefs Association
California Fish & Game Warden’s Association
California Reserve Peace Officers Association
Peace Officers Research Association of California
San Francisco Veteran Police Officers Association
Association of Deputy District Attorneys for Los Angeles County
Western State Sheriff’s Association
Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs
Law Enforcement Alliance of America
Law Enforcement Action Network

and sheriffs:

San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon
Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko
Siskiyou County Sheriff Jon E. Lopey
Riverside County Sheriff Stan Sniff
Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux
Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea
Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims
Glenn County Sheriff Rich Warren
Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood
Madera County Sheriff Jay Varney
Mariposa County Sheriff Douglas Binnewies

Even though Prop. 63 was opposed by law enforcement, and there was little if any LE "union muscle" used to promote it, it still got 7,970,639 Yes votes (62.82%) compared to 4,716,466 No votes (37.18%). In other words, it won in a landslide.

There is a theory often stated around here that if there were no exemptions for law enforcement in California gun control laws, those laws wouldn't get passed. That really overestimates the importance of law enforcement exemptions to getting the laws passed, and underestimates and ignores the strong support for ever more gun control among California legislators and the Californians who elect and re-elect those pro-gun control legislators. When given a chance to vote on it directly as they were with Prop. 63, the voters of California strongly support any additional gun controls that can be piled on top of what are already some of the strictest gun controls in the country. Those voters are going to support gun control regardless of whether police unions support the laws or not.

Focusing on law enforcement exemptions is certainly a cause for resentment, but it misses the bigger picture. A majority of California gun owners think California needs even more gun control. If you ask them if police officers should get exemptions from the gun control laws, they would probably say "of course. We trust them with guns." But even if there were no exemptions for LE a majority of California voters would still support more gun control.

The feds aren't going to save California gun owners. Look how many new gun control laws have been passed in California since 2008 (Heller) and 2010 (McDonald). Even national concealed carry reciprocity if passed wouldn't help California gun owners who don't have a California CCW permit.

Old 11-25-2016, 5:18 PM

Well, the Feds most certainly could do like they have before for other civil rights. But why would they? The free state representatives gain little from helping us. CCW reciprocity is only for their voters' benefit (so they can travel with their CCW without going to jail).

Maybe a freshly stacked SCOTUS (or even 9th) will help us. Maybe not.
Old 11-25-2016, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhyla View Post
Well, the Feds most certainly could do like they have before for other civil rights. But why would they? The free state representatives gain little from helping us. CCW reciprocity is only for their voters' benefit (so they can travel with their CCW without going to jail).

Maybe a freshly stacked SCOTUS (or even 9th) will help us. Maybe not.
Just like in the civil rights case the Feds turned a deaf ear to what was going on in the southern states until MLK started with all the protesting and the Feds could no longer ignore things and did something about the discrimination it will be the same with gun control. As for CCW reciprocity it want mean anything in the the anti gun states because they will simply ignore the law unless the Feds really enforce it and start to shut down some of the anti gun laws in the anti gun states.
Old 11-25-2016, 8:18 PM

We need to stack the court first, then ram doen our agenda through federal legislature. A pro 2nd bench will be with us much longer than a federal law.

Strategy people, start thinking it.
Old 11-25-2016, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Aon2wheels View Post
We need to stack the court first, then ram doen our agenda through federal legislature. A pro 2nd bench will be with us much longer than a federal law.

Strategy people, start thinking it.
The fact that our firearms rights are even in question tells me that this is at best a temporary solution. I am starting to fear the only viable long term solution is not bloodless. Gun Control should be just as absurd an idea as outlawing voting Republican. The fact that the former is not worries me that the latter is not far behind.
Old 11-26-2016, 2:47 AM
Veteran Member

Default Provide some help.

I believe the Feds could help, but this help won't happen unless we provide groundwork to start with.

This means that more than .5 percent of gun owners must get involved in the efforts.

Gun rights are being trampled on both in the West Coast and in the North east and if the rest of the country doesn't step up, our laws will become the national standard.

All of us dodged a bullet because if Hilary won the electoral college, everybody would be hosed.

The issue will come down to time and money, you will either get involved or you will find excuses. Frankly I don't even want to hear the excuses, any gun owner who refuses to fight deserves to lose their guns and the rest of their freedoms.

If someone doesn't beat me to the punch, a game plan will be in progress by the end of the year.

Nicki
Old 11-26-2016, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Only if they withhold funding. Otherwise, California says "make me".
Old 11-26-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Aon2wheels View Post
I agree with the longevity of court decisions compared to the ease of changing legislation, but see no reason why the two approaches can't happen at the same time. The only reason to wait is for a specific court case to hit a newly friendly SCOTUS. Otherwise, like I did already, contact your 2A-friendly Congressional representative (yeah, skip the Senate...) and light a fire under their backsides.

Other than the Safe Handgun Roster, which other laws have the LEO exemptions? Trying to make it as easy as possible for the legislators so they know what their possible legislation would impact.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
I believe the Feds could help, but this help won't happen unless we provide groundwork to start with.

This means that more than .5 percent of gun owners must get involved in the efforts.

Gun rights are being trampled on both in the West Coast and in the North east and if the rest of the country doesn't step up, our laws will become the national standard.

All of us dodged a bullet because if Hilary won the electoral college, everybody would be hosed.

The issue will come down to time and money, you will either get involved or you will find excuses. Frankly I don't even want to hear the excuses, any gun owner who refuses to fight deserves to lose their guns and the rest of their freedoms.

If someone doesn't beat me to the punch, a game plan will be in progress by the end of the year.

Nicki
Sounds interesting. PM sent.
Old 11-26-2016, 9:28 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

I don't see the feds doing much of anything unless gun owners in CA get off their butts.

Trump is a joke
Trump isn't actually running
Trump will never win a state
Trump will lose Super Tuesday
Trump will never be the nominee
Trump will destroy the Republican party
Trump will lose to Hillary
---------------------------------<You are here
Trump will never MAGA
Old 11-26-2016, 9:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
Yes, they can. The states have virtually no say on any issues where the feds can't come in and push them around.

This is not in keeping with the vision of the framers, but it is the reality. The oppression of rights by the State wasn't in their vision either.
agreed. but this state enjoys thumbing it's nose at any rights it doesn't like. which is pretty much all of them.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.