Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Default New California gun laws ?

It shouldn't be so hard to find information but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. According to the media, "California legislators advanced a dozen proposed gun control measures" on Tuesday, June 14. The generic news coverage mentions banning hi-cap magazines, outlawing bullet buttons, limiting purchases, registering ammo purchases, and so on but the specifics of each of the bills isn't disclosed. I'd really like to know what it means by "advanced" and what is the process to get these things to be law. I'd like to know what each one says so I can be somewhat informed in my discussion of them with others. I really believe that if we're going to oppose what's happening we need to at least know what is being proposed. I intend to write, call and email legislators to voice my opposition and I'd like to be able to speak with good knowledge of the subject matter. I've poked around on the internet on every site I can think of that might have the information I want and have done google searches trying to find it too but I can only find the same general reports that don't get into details. Can anybody tell me where to look? Is there a California legislature site that would have the exact wording of the bills?

thanks for helping

rolomac
Old 06-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Look at the top of this forum page for librarian's sticky

Old 06-16-2016, 2:38 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...chClient.xhtml

It may be that the current bill texts are not yet published there - the site can be a few days late as the session gets busier in the second half of the year.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-16-2016, 9:55 PM

I have an Daniel Defense Ar15 in jail right now to clear on 6-20-16. With these pending laws am I making a mistake buying now?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
I have an Daniel Defense Ar15 in jail right now to clear on 6-20-16. With these pending laws am I making a mistake buying now?
Well, it's in jail. Too late. But, wait and see. You can always sell it.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:05 PM

Default Buying new AR

I would assume that guns purchased before any legislations effective date would grandfather, perhaps subject to registering it as an assault rifle ?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I would assume that guns purchased before any legislations effective date would grandfather, perhaps subject to registering it as an assault rifle ?
Probably.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the input
Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 PM

FYI, Folks were also allowed to keep their grandfathered-in "high-cap" mags. But now with SB 1446, they will need to dispose of those mags by July 1, 2017.

If this happened to "permitted" mags, it will surely happen to registered "assault weapons".
Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Hmm when is it for these bills? I would have thought they would be effective if they were signed?

Also, don't some of them have a grace period until end of year? At least the SB 880 one that is.

Quote:
30680. Notwithstanding the meaning of “assault weapon” under Section 30515, as amended by the act that added this section, Section 30605 does not apply to the possession of an assault weapon by a person who has possessed the assault weapon prior to January 1, 2017, if all of the following are applicable:
(a) Prior to January 1, 2017, the person was eligible to register that assault weapon pursuant to subdivision (c) (b) of Section 30900.
(b) The person lawfully possessed that assault weapon prior to January 1, 2017.
(c) The person registers the assault weapon by January 1, 2018, in accordance with subdivision (c) (b) of Section 30900.

Unless you mean this grace is only for existing firearms, and anything in jail will be denied?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:32 PM

Looked at SB 880; you are correct. If I pick up the gun next week ( before the end of 2016), I can grandfather if I register like a criminal.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:46 PM

Hmm for those younger and not dealt with this. What exactly that entails?

I get that you can't then resell these (in cali), can't pass them down (in cali), and have to have a cause to have them in the car (Does that include hunting?).
With these BBed stuff, does that mean I can then remove the BB? As they are then RAWs, no 10+ rnd magazines, but no need for the BB as they are registered right?

Is it limited to citizens? Or also legal aliens? Or what exactly is the registration process? What happens if you moved out of cali, then back later?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokarevman View Post
FYI, Folks were also allowed to keep their grandfathered-in "high-cap" mags. But now with SB 1446, they will need to dispose of those mags by July 1, 2017.

If this happened to "permitted" mags, it will surely happen to registered "assault weapons".
Great point