Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-20-2016, 4:09 PM

Default Are there any public protests planned?

Does the NRA fund public protests? What do you guys feel about public protests? Plenty of Norcal gun owners that would gather I bet on the capitol for a good demonstration on a weekend. Try and get gun shops and ranges to get the word out. Get the barbecue going, get some signs? Call the local media and try to get some coverage. You get a few thousand people to protest there is gonna be some media coverage I would think.
Old 04-21-2016, 5:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Protesting has the same political efficacy as pissing up a rope... which is why the NRA doesn't fund that kind of action. You could get a 100K people on the Capitol grounds, and you wouldn't get an iota of sympathetic coverage. Insofar as the state is concerned, you are the enemy.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-21-2016, 5:52 AM
Calguns Addict

That only works in States that have gunowners that will actually do something besides talk about it and wave fingers in the air.

But then, the elected officials in those States know the consequences of voting against the peoples Constitutional rights.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 04-21-2016, 9:13 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNorthern View Post
That only works in States that have gunowners that will actually do something besides talk about it and wave fingers in the air.

But then, the elected officials in those States know the consequences of voting against the peoples Constitutional rights.
... and, since there are effectively no consequences to those carpetbaggers in California, we get what we have.

Brecht:
Quote:
Wouldn't it

Be simpler in that case if the government

Dissolved the people and

Elected another?
Until we elect another 'people', we've got problems.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-21-2016, 9:35 AM
membrum ex machina
CGN Contributor

I think public assembly is a great start. Its efficacy isn't in persuading elected officials, it is in altering public perception. People watch tv and read social media. That's where the majority of their opinions are cultivated (or absorbed). People watch a tv show where the beloved main character is indignant that anyone would ever own a gun, and the viewer gets up and goes about his life with that idea floating in his head; "gun ownership is bad." And that's it. The more we ingrain our philosophy in mainstream culture, the more acceptable it will become, and eventually elected officials will want to be reelected and will sway toward popular opinion. This has worked for several civil rights causes. The great thing about social media is the people decide what is put out there (for now), not a biased MSM.

My problem with public assembly is the wingnuts who show up shouldering ARs and scream about armed resistance. We don't need that element supporting our cause.
Mark 16:16
Old 04-21-2016, 9:58 AM

Public assembly may have a galvanizing effect, which if done correctly can be contagious. I would love to see thousands of 2A upholders at the capitol all wearing business professional attire. The problem I have noticed is our hunker down mentality. We just "hope" that they don't beat us anymore. But the solution is professional boisterous voicing of our GOD given right affirmed by the Constitution!

Unity! Resolve! Action!

Name the date and time and I WILL BE THERE in SAC in suit and tie with professional signs in hand! Then name the date and time in San Diego...and I'll be there. Then name the date and time in LAX and I'll be there. I want thousands of us demanding respect for our rights!

Make no mistake...let's say there were to be 10,000 in suits and ties marching on capital, there would be blow back! They have a play book and they will react accordingly. But through Unity! Resolve! Action! We can stop this onslaught and aven reverse course.

They aregetting away with this behaviour BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY CAN!

Again name the day, time and location and I'll be there!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:09 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

I was just talking to my wife about this...

Any time a black person is (substitute any recent event here), the black community members rally and demand action, etc. Sure, maybe they don't get what they want, maybe they do, but super quick to act.

Result: people are becoming more worried about acting against black community members.

Any time a new gun related (substitute any recent event here), the gun community does nothing but wait for a new bill to be proposed and then kind of do stuff (like call, e-mail, etc)...

Result: More bills introduced, more bills pass, more gun owners are labeled as idiot gun-nuts that just "Want" guns, our rights are more and more infringed.

In any case...

2nd amendment is a guide for what should be done, not just a statement. We need to organize...

...a well regulated militia being necessary...
Old 04-21-2016, 11:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree, although the media will try to represent a public protest as a threat, we need public exposure to show our resolve.

The power brokers in Sacramento paint the 2A as a bad thing.
We need to show the positive side to all California.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 PM

I would be willing to go and protest. But like others have said, nice attire for those who dont own a suit at least a nice button up shirt. No empty holsters or gun cases and stuff that just makes us look bad. If somebody can organize it put up a thread with the time and date and ill be there. I was listening on the radio this morning they a had an officer on who was noting that the proposed bills were useless I know others heard it so something is stirring. People are talking about it keeping it out in the open might help with the VETO pen. But we will never know if we stay behind our monitors and wait.
Old 04-21-2016, 2:34 PM

I am offering the historical and significant date of June 17th. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5#post18041395

I will be there...either alone or arm in arm.