Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 12-23-2012, 5:02 AM
Veteran Member

Default Lytle Creek Shooting Range

Hello Calgunners!

Just an FYI!

Just spent Saturday with the vacationing family at the range yesterday.
Taught 3 of my nephews on how to shoot using Marlin 22 rifle and brought the Ruger 22-45 pistol as well. I brought a couple of my AR's.
And started sighting them in. The range Master went and saw my AR's and no mag release lock......lol. He even pushed my release. If you have no bullet bottons on your AR because they are pre-ban and RAW. Make sure you have copies of the DOJ letter in your rifle case. Good thing I always have copies with me. They are now checking and compairing serial numbers written on the Doj letter to the actual rifles. Plus no hi-cap mags. I always use 10 rounders on ranges anyways.

Good times with the family!
Old 12-23-2012, 7:16 AM

i would have told him to stop touching my rifle and mind his own business...but that`s just me.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman77 View Post
i would have told him to stop touching my rifle and mind his own business...but that`s just me.
I would at any moment but was with my young and newb nephews and didn't want to start something.
Old 12-23-2012, 2:35 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman77 View Post
And you probably would have been asked to leave the range. Their range (they actually lease it from the FS), their rules.

Unfortunately, the Lytle Creek Firing Line range is not what it used to be. If you were to do a google search of the range, you will see my thread on the subject (as far as the standard capacity magazines).

OP, I'm glad you had a good time and I'm sure your nephews had a blast and appreciated their uncle teaching them how to shoot!
Old 12-23-2012, 4:07 PM

They nearl didn't let me fire my ar because they though I had a burst function on it. There's no pin hole for the auto sear whatsoever! I think if they were to be range masters there they should know what to look for on the weapon. Maybe that was just my experience though.
Old 12-23-2012, 4:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I haven't been to Lytle Creek in a while but it sounds pretty different. Guess I won't be going back any time soon.
Old 12-23-2012, 4:13 PM

I stopped going there years ago. Range master called cease fire while I was shooting a mini-14, I didn't hear a cease fire, and continued to shoot. RM then yelled at me, and told me if someone walked out into the range he'd shoot me. I told him to go f*** himself, and haven't been back since.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
OP, I'm glad you had a good time and I'm sure your nephews had a blast and appreciated their uncle teaching them how to shoot!
Thanks we sure did.
Next on the list is teaching them practical pistol shooting.
On the move with mag change. They can't wait to come back in summer time.
Old 12-26-2012, 8:40 PM

I dont even own a 10 rounder for my AR.When i bought it long ago it came with a 30 rounder.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
CGSSA Leader

I want to go out there on Sunday to zero my scope on my .22 I am bringing some bowling pins and veggies/fruit too. Do they have any stands for paper targets or do I need to bring my own?

Insight Shooting Range Monthly Shoot Dec 17th
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM

They sell the wood stands for paper targets if you don't have your own. And, yes, back in December, they did check my carbines for bullet button mag release, as well as my magazines for capacity. I only bring 10 rounders anyway, but they do check.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
CGSSA Leader

Wow, so no mags over 10 rounds? What about for LEO's?

Insight Shooting Range Monthly Shoot Dec 17th
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

I only shot at Lytle Creek Shooting Range once (because my regular range was closed for the weekend for renovations), and while I never was given any grief (most likely because all I brought out was an 1903A3), I would never shoot there again, especially with all of the stories I've heard.

If they're going to have rules that you need to show your Registered AW letter and that they don't allow anything over ten rounds in capacity, they need to post that information on their website.

Seriously, I don't carry a copy of my RAW letter with my rifle(s).

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Default When did they make a range at Lytle Creek?

We used to drive up there and just shoot. We would camp in the FS campground at the end of the canyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstnpete View Post
Hello Calgunners!

Just an FYI!

Just spent Saturday with the vacationing family at the range yesterday.
Taught 3 of my nephews on how to shoot using Marlin 22 rifle and brought the Ruger 22-45 pistol as well. I brought a couple of my AR's.
And started sighting them in. The range Master went and saw my AR's and no mag release lock......lol. He even pushed my release. If you have no bullet bottons on your AR because they are pre-ban and RAW. Make sure you have copies of the DOJ letter in your rifle case. Good thing I always have copies with me. They are now checking and compairing serial numbers written on the Doj letter to the actual rifles. Plus no hi-cap mags. I always use 10 rounders on ranges anyways.

Good times with the family!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM

F them! Does Obama own that range? The no hi cap policy is horse crap. Are they running serial numbers looking for stolen weapons too? Maybe they should run DLs to make sure you didn't drive on a suspended license. That place is horse crap!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 4:32 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
When did they make a range at Lytle Creek?.
back around 2000 or so, when it got to be a warzone there. you'd have gangbangers practicing drivebys and people start shooting during a ceasefire to reset targets.

It got to the point that you'd have to leave people with loaded firearms to protect their friends and family down range.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-05-2013, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

People their started to become dicks, probably won't go anymore.
Old 02-05-2013, 5:57 PM

I agree f that range now that Jeff and Robert don't work there anymore that place sucks its all about west end!!!!!!!

http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/

Become a SoCal Precision Rifle Team fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalPrecisionRifleTeam
Old 02-05-2013, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I will never go back, it's too bad too. It's by far the closest range to my folks place and we go out about 5/6 times per year down there.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTodd View Post
I want to go out there on Sunday to zero my scope on my .22 I am bringing some bowling pins and veggies/fruit too. Do they have any stands for paper targets or do I need to bring my own?
You can't shoot at anything on the ground closer than 150 yards. And if you get there late in the day you can only shoot at 200 yards, honestly just go somewhere else.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:07 PM

back in the day, that place was a gas......except you didnt go too far back in there, you could hear full auto fire in the distance.....back in the early-mid '90s......shot LOTS of glass bottles full of water.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:11 PM
Guardian of masculinity
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickgt40 View Post
You can't shoot at anything on the ground closer than 150 yards. And if you get there late in the day you can only shoot at 200 yards, honestly just go somewhere else.

last time I was there about a month ago you could have ground targets set at 50 yards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutnfancy
"Preserve your gat"
Old 02-05-2013, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Must have been a different rangemaster when I was there then. YMMV apparently.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

There used to be a belt-fed shoot there, that funded the Wounded Warrior Project. The powers to be shut that down after 2 years because some of the shooters were using pre-ban belts, 100 to 250 rd belts.

I was doing a 200 mi. round trip for those shoots. No more for me!

Last edited by GMG; 02-05-2013 at 6:48 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 9:14 PM

PLain and simple, it's none of their damn business whether or not you have a bullet button, hi cap mags, etc. As long as you aren't there rockin and rollin(full auto) and following the safety rules, you should be fine. Of course, we know that 9 times out of 10 someone will be a dick, but F them!! There's plenty of places I can go, not have to worry about ANYONE, and shoot **** at 25, 50, 100, 500 yards with no grief. FOR FREE!!
Disclaimer; I advise everyone to abide by the law. Just remember, the only people who then have the means to harm you are the "authorities" and the criminals.
Old 02-06-2013, 3:09 PM

Similar experience there last year. A unifromed officer with a gun (FS maybe?) walked the entire line during a cease fire and inspected both ARs that were there. He was checking for BBs and Colt. He didn't check for hi-caps, as the guys next to me were using 10/30's (which look like hi-caps if you don't inspect) and he didn't say anything.
Old 02-06-2013, 3:21 PM

I remember that place before there was even a range there, used to be fun. Just pull off to the side and set up targets, all the gang bangers screwed that all up.
Old 02-06-2013, 6:15 PM

We went last Sunday, never had a problem. The RO's seemed pretty cool. If you were shooting at steel targets or ground targets with anything larger than .22lr, you had to move them to 100yds.
Old 02-06-2013, 6:23 PM

Was just there.No problems.Do what they ask be nice and they will be the same.
Old 02-07-2013, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshoer View Post
be nice and they will be the same
Agree 100%.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

We are nice all the time....as I stated ..if no bullet botton, Just be prepared to show something to them when they ask.
Old 04-18-2013, 9:01 AM

I was most recently there at a couple of interesting times, right before and after the Sandy Hook shooting, and I was asked about the bullet button on my carbines each time...I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather personnel be observant. The range officer was very pleasant and helpful, and I had a really enjoyable time.
Old 04-19-2013, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

i used to go their, now i am a limited member at the west end gun club. i shoot my steel core surplus mosin ammo and it only cost me 5 bucks. less crowded then lytle creek and i save 20 miles round trip. they let me take 3 guests last time 10 bucks each. also a more experienced group of shooters.the 100 yard rifle range is nice and they do not treat you like children.
Old 04-19-2013, 8:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post
PLain and simple, it's none of their damn business whether or not you have a bullet button, hi cap mags, etc. As long as you aren't there rockin and rollin(full auto) and following the safety rules, you should be fine. Of course, we know that 9 times out of 10 someone will be a dick, but F them!! There's plenty of places I can go, not have to worry about ANYONE, and shoot **** at 25, 50, 100, 500 yards with no grief. FOR FREE!!
Disclaimer; I advise everyone to abide by the law. Just remember, the only people who then have the means to harm you are the "authorities" and the criminals.
They have a sign that says you must use legal magazines. They check for bullet buttons because the Federal Rangers come in through there and walk the lines occassionally. Seems like they are just looking out for everyone's best interest. The land is owned by the forest service and their concession is on the line if they fail to follow the laws.

The past times I have been there the range master has been more than professional. I feel safe there, he keeps a close eye on his line. Old gent with the gray beard.

They sell targets there or bring your own. No glass. Steal targets are allowed and so are the targets that hold clays. They don't allow the little bouncy targets...don't know what they are called. Bring a hammer and a steel stake to get a hole started in the ground for your stake type wood target legs. It helps to get a hole started with steel before you try to pound in your wood stakes if you use that type.

Last edited by HOGLEG; 04-19-2013 at 8:59 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGLEG View Post
They have a sign that says you must use legal magazines. .
but then they don't let you use your legal magazines

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.