Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-22-2012, 7:46 PM

Default For the CHP officers

Good evening all,

Was wondering if I could get some information from CHP personel/officers. I've been looking on the CHP page and noticed they will be opening up for applications January 3rd-5th and decided on applying. What do I need to know or do for the application so I don't just get looked over as another Joe trying to get in? I do have a military background in the Marine Corps as a Reservist and have been in for over 1 year now. Any information/help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2012, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Check out ths thread. Not much you can do on a LE application, they are pretty basic. The background is where you want to stand out.

*not CHP but things are pretty common.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=660154

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 12-22-2012, 7:53 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebs View Post
Good evening all,

Was wondering if I could get some information from CHP personel/officers. I've been looking on the CHP page and noticed they will be opening up for applications January 3rd-5th and decided on applying. What do I need to know or do for the application so I don't just get looked over as another Joe trying to get in? I do have a military background in the Marine Corps as a Reservist and have been in for over 1 year now. Any information/help will be greatly appreciated.
There is a ton of information on the chp site. You should know all of it. The application is standard but you will want to research the dept and know a lot about it if you make it to the interview.

Good luck.

Sent from Obama's Mind
Old 12-23-2012, 8:27 AM

Somebody else posted a similar question in another thread. I'm glad to see interest is picking up.

Kinda repeating myself here, but Triple check your application, make sure EVERYTHING on it is verifiably correct, and be ready to send it the very first second the web site opens (seriously).

There will be ALOT of folks lining up for this opportunity & the easiest way to get DQ'd is to turn in an inaccurate/ incomplete app.

Baconater & Ron-Solo are correct as well. Become an expert in ALL things CHP, buff up your presentation skills & be ready to hammer the written & shine during the interview. Start prepping now, if you haven't already.

Good Luck

-Stick

P.s. Any other Q's, feel free to ask.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the info and recommendations gents, greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 PM

Along with what bigstick said.. triple check your app.. and also, print it out and have someone you trust read it for "ANY" errors.. Its amazing what your mind will see and read when its YOUR information.
Old 12-24-2012, 4:37 PM

I sat on a lot of oral panels. It was amazing to me the number of candidates who applied and were not ready to discuss the following.

SPECIAL PERSONAL/PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

SPECIAL PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS - Interest in law enforcement work; willingness to work throughout the state, at night, and at unusual hours; willingness to work under strict discipline; satisfactory record as a law-abiding citizen; tact; reliability; professional demeanor; keenness of observation; neat personal appearance; problem solving; and good communication skills with diverse groups of people.

SPECIAL PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS - Good health and sound physical condition; freedom from any physical or mental condition that would interfere with the full performance of the essential duties of an Officer, California Highway Patrol; effective use of both hands; strength, endurance, and agility; normal hearing; and normal visual function and visual acuity. If eyeglasses or hard contact lenses are worn, uncorrected vision must be no less than 20/40 in each eye and corrected to 20/20 in each eye. Applicants who have successfully worn soft contact lenses for at least 12 months are not required to meet an uncorrected standard as long as their corrected vision is 20/20 in each eye; normal color vision as assessed by the Farnsworth-Munsell D-15 test (wearing an X- Chrom lens during vision testing is prohibited); and weight proportional to age and height.

Basically, part of the oral interview is based on the above.

Good luck.