Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-04-2013, 3:30 PM

"Ban kits to convert ammunition clips into high-capacity magazines."

There are kits to convert Clips into "high-cap" Magazines?

I'm guessing this is the repair kits... I wish people would understand the subject they try to regulate.
Old 01-04-2013, 3:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Guys please stop giving them ideas... Really please. On a side note the ammo cards are shall issue so while its an inconvenience it's not a show stopper. I'm way more concerned about SB-47!
Do you really think they don't have a team of lawyers looking at the things they can try to push through? They've put a lot of thought into what they can get away with.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-04-2013, 3:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
So basically the same ruling on AB 962 would therefore apply to this bill, but the authors and organizations behind it still ultimately win for "trying".
Not quite. AB 962 tried to restrict handgun ammunition sales and it is under the preliminary injunction due to being "unconstitutionally vague" (the state is appealing, though). The "vagueness" argument was just the first and lowest hanging fruit, but there was a full size steamroller of a case behind it. Should this pass, the steamroller will be used...
Old 01-04-2013, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsivegunbuyer View Post
To late, 1000 rounds of 223 is already $1000.
It will be $1500 soon .... Unfortunately ...

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason
for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
to protect themselves against tyranny in government - Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-04-2013, 3:45 PM

I sure hope they don't ban the 3D printing of ammo using readily downloadable CAD documents in the bill
Old 01-04-2013, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

When, not if, this passes, it will be one more step toward their goal of establishing ammuntion laws modeled after those of the Mexican government.

Quote:
Article 51

A licensed firearm owner in Mexico is permitted to possess only 500 cartridges in .22 caliber, 1,000 cartridges for shotguns and 200 cartridges for other arms
This law has worked well to keep ammunition out of the hands of cartels and other outlaws.
Old 01-04-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakiri View Post
So you can only buy ammo from actual gun shops, not like WalMart or KMart, and we're going to make the state even MORE broke by requiring a crap ton of paperwork to be processed on top of what we already have, backing the DoJ up more?

What are these guys smoking? Can I have some? And I foresee a LOT of people going out of state to buy ammo.
You can bet anyone who doesn't want their name in an ammunition registry would simply buy up in Nevada or Oregon.

This daft legislation is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

Calguns Foundation contributor
Old 01-04-2013, 4:12 PM

In other completely unrelated news... reloading supplies are becoming hard to find.
Old 01-04-2013, 4:14 PM
Calguns Addict

They can off and die. As long as we're Americans we have the right of free travel. I will go where I want, and buy what I want with cash money. Hell, there are other ways to get around it too, and they're not that hard to figure out. ing idiots.
Old 01-04-2013, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
That would be in violation of the interstate commerce clause.
That's a very good and interesting point you bring up. That's on a federal level I thought (not something I've very knowledgeable on to be honest).

It's already done for plenty of other things like standard capacity magazines for example. Does that only apply to things that can be purchased within a state already (such as an outright ammo ban would be required to regulate ammo import by citizens)?
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 01-04-2013, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

I read that in my head in the shrill voice of the "Save the Clock Tower" lady in Back to the Future.

I don't think the state has money to pay for all that licensing and administration. Not that it ever stopped them in the past...
Old 01-04-2013, 4:25 PM

Well, I will just use an nondescript work around that I know will work because I am
Old 01-04-2013, 4:35 PM
Snoot lickin' good!
CGN Contributor

Just a gentle reminder, loose lips sink ships.
Old 01-04-2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
The Berkeley Daily Planet
Friday January 04, 2013 - 1000 AM

Editor's note: As this issue is published, we're delighted to learn that on Monday a new bill for the California legislature which does exactly what we've asked in today's editorial will be introduced, as described in the following press release:

OAKLAND, CA – To curb gun violence, mass shootings and the stockpiling of ammunition, State Assemblymember Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley) and supporters will unveil legislation, AB 48, to establish oversight of California’s ammunition marketplace.

“When will deadly ammunition be viewed as a risk to public safety?” Skinner said. “If common cold medicines, alcohol and tobacco are regulated for their risk to public health and safety, why isn’t ammunition? Assembly Bill 48 will place boundaries on the bullets that have ravaged our communities.”

Assemblymember Skinner and supporters will announce legislation, AB 48, to regulate and tighten ammunition sales in California and ban high-capacity magazines.

This bill will:

•Regulate all ammunition sales,
•Require ammunition purchasers to show identification,
•Require ammunition sellers to be licensed dealers,
•Require ammunition sellers to report sales to the Department of Justice,
•Ban kits to convert ammunition clips into high-capacity magazines.

Read the rest: http://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue...ed-on-Monday--
Dunno who this author is, but they're a gibbering, irrationally clueless hoplophobe.
Old 01-04-2013, 4:37 PM

Btw I read the text of the bill and I'm digging the vague "fill in the blank" for how many rounds sends an alarm to police if you buy it in less than 5 days. 1000? 100? 10? Who knows wheeee!
Old 01-04-2013, 4:42 PM

This was introduced prev pre dec 15 chaos. It actually has some credibility regarding skirting the constitution as it does NOT. Ban firearms but magazines and ammo that is not apparently written directly in the constitution. However according to the ninth amendment ammo and mags should be considered as items not specifically addressed in the bill of rights.
Old 01-04-2013, 4:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARfan23 View Post
Maybe they'll outlaw buttocks too, since you can technically beat someone to death with one--LMAO.
By sitting on them?

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 01-04-2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post
I'll just stick to the non-deadly ammo then

Where do they sell that?

Right next to the alcohol free beer.
Old 01-04-2013, 4:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RDGEARGRNDRR View Post
This was introduced prev pre dec 15 chaos. It actually has some credibility regarding skirting the constitution as it does NOT. Ban firearms but magazines and ammo that is not apparently written directly in the constitution. However according to the ninth amendment ammo and mags should be considered as items not specifically addressed in the bill of rights.
Wouldn't that be like trying to ban all barrels that are not at least 50" long but saying you're not banning firearms so you're just thinking of the children while being pro 2A?

(if anyone says something about this giving 'them' ideas I'm going to bash my face on the desk!)
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 01-04-2013, 4:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This is giving them ideas.
Old 01-04-2013, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
'them' ideas
Face-Desk make it happen.... Pics plz!
let me guess this means the case will move as fast as a Tuttle on heroin now instead of a snail on salt.................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Need we have a moderator behind every blade of grass?
Old 01-04-2013, 5:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneYote View Post
Face-Desk make it happen.... Pics plz!
Old 01-04-2013, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestr View Post
(b)*Subdivision (a) does not apply to the possession of a readily restorable disassembled large-capacity magazine or an oversize magazine body that has been permanently altered so that the magazine cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds by a person who lawfully possessed the magazine prior to January 1, 2014

The issue is that even if this grandfathers magazines, just how are CA owners supposed to get 10 round magazines for their rifles? There is a very short supply on those, THUS the reason for the permanently blocked 20s or 30s. If you think that prices are high now, wait until you aren't able to use ANY of those.
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 01-04-2013, 6:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Wouldn't that be like trying to ban all barrels that are not at least 50" long but saying you're not banning firearms so you're just thinking of the children while being pro 2A?

(if anyone says something about this giving 'them' ideas I'm going to bash my face on the desk!)
Yes, but then think about how easy it will be to shoot kids on a playground. A 50 inch barrel makes a shot at 50 inches a certainty. If they barrel is 50 feet long, you can guarantee a shot at 50 FEET!
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 01-04-2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintguy View Post
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the possession of a readily restorable disassembled large-capacity magazine or an oversize magazine body that has been permanently altered so that the magazine cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds by a person who lawfully possessed the magazine prior to January 1, 2014.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this bill now makes manufacture,import and sale a misdemnor. As before it was a felony. It looks like if you had your rebulid kit and 10/30 before 1-1-2014 then it gets grandfathered.

Buying ammo after the law takes effect will be a pain in the arse because it looks like you won't be able to buy online anymore. The law basically says it has to be a ftf transaction at a reseller. This law is defacto ammo registration. Say if you only had long guns and bought ammo for such now the state knows you have a long gun.

This bill would require anyone in the state, prior to selling, transferring, or otherwise furnishing ammunition to an individual or business entity in this state or any other state to require proper identification, as prescribed, to be an authorized firearms dealer, and to report the sales to the Department of Justice. An individual who fails to make the required report or who knowingly makes a report with false or fictitious information would be guilty of a misdemeanor, as specified. By creating a new crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
They want to know we have this stuff so that when the economy totally collapses and we're begging for military to deal with the rioters, they can come take all of our crap right before they turn this into Nazi Germany.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFF View Post
AB 48 - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...=201320140AB48

(The text is interesting, but the whole set of info is even MORE interesting.)

See also
the Beginner's guide to reading bills and
a short post on How a Bill Becomes Law

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/...introduced.pdf
Good. California is in desperate need of a new black market to supply criminals and gangs with incredibly smugglable magazines and ammunition. They can just throw them in the crate next to the pot and fireworks.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingnut View Post
This bill was likely constructed by a staff of advisors tasked to read this forum.

Illustrating all the shortcomings that are in this legislation as it's currently written gives them a roadmap to revise it. Should it pass, it will get jammed up in court by CGF and other entities. Let's not fight the grabbers' battle for them. Run silent, run deep, folks.
No doubt some are members here and they bait discussion on how to work around a bill. And sadly there are enough weak minds here that will take the bait.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Good thing they didn't ban the magazines made from turtle shells, at least we can get those in high caps.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:34 PM

The government DOES NOT have the right to know what I buy. I pay taxes for EVERYTHING and yes even my legal bullets! Now they want me to jump through more hoops and get a FREAKIN card to purchase bullets so they can track me? Bite my shiny metal ***! This is America, not some ****ing communist country that spies and tells you what you should and not be doing.
Old 01-04-2013, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter206 View Post
The government DOES NOT have the right to know what I buy. I pay taxes for EVERYTHING and yes even my legal bullets! Now they want me to jump through more hoops and get a FREAKIN card to purchase bullets so they can track me? Bite my shiny metal ***! This is America, not some ****ing communist country that spies and tells you what you should and not be doing.
Except that when they're done with it, it will be.
Old 01-04-2013, 8:04 PM

In case anyone hasn't figured it out by now there is a 100,000% this law will be passed, this puppy is going to be fought in the courts we all know rebuilds have long been a thorn in the side of Cali gun control.
Old 01-04-2013, 8:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Has this thing been brought before the Assembly yet?

I'd like the opportunity to chew the face off my representative.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 01-04-2013, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Bill is easily toast. I know of at least one reason why it could fail hard. If anyone from Skinner/Ammiano's office wants to send me a couple of bcgs, uppers, pmags (rebuilt of course I dont want you to go to the pokie), and some 223 ill hook you up.

half of you here are weak and lame that will basically wind up being happy with .22 single shot pistols or single barrel shotguns..

Old 01-04-2013, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
only if it's being administered with the barrel shroud.
As long as it's not used with heat seeking ammo.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 PM

I see all these bills as a potentially good thing. I said potentially.

It's at the point where these ding dongs are are adding blocks to a building rapidly...to the point where the building topples before their eyes because they built too high, too fast.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvardan View Post
I see all these bills as a potentially good thing. I said potentially.

It's at the point where these ding dongs are are adding blocks to a building rapidly...to the point where the building topples before their eyes because they built too high, too fast.
Yes, we're playing chess

They're playing Jenga
Old 01-05-2013, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

Im going to walmart to load up on NERF guns since I see them as being targeted next. Then I will ebay them for mass profit. Going to horde all of the whistle darts!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingnut View Post
This bill was likely constructed by a staff of advisors tasked to read this forum.

Illustrating all the shortcomings that are in this legislation as it's currently written gives them a roadmap to revise it. Should it pass, it will get jammed up in court by CGF and other entities. Let's not fight the grabbers' battle for them. Run silent, run deep, folks.
^^^^^^
That. I stopped reading after the first page but in case anyone didn't repeat it or get it the first several times...... shut up and let the people who handle this stuff handle it.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM

One consideration is that if I have a 10/30 mag, it still holds ten rounds only, but takes more room. I can carry less. To ban mags that appear to hold more, but in fact hold 10, would serve no rational basis, and in the very unlikely situation of a mass shooting with someone using 10/30 mags or the like, it would mean he could carry less ammo, than smaller 10 rounders
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDD View Post
This ^^^^
Your wish is granted...All you have to do is move to AZ.