Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 07-23-2013, 7:14 AM

Lightbulb Youth Shooting Programs in Ventura Area?

My son (14) very interested in developing shooting skills. He is in Boy Scouts, back from summer camp, got his rifle merit badge and a bunch of NRA youth Marksman awards. He is hooked!

Any recommended youth programs, clinics, shooting groups in the Ventura County / Western LA area - offering skills development courses, learning the finer point of competitive shooting, various shooting styles, learning and able to shoot various weapons, etc? Even private instructors skilled in youth shooting sports is a viable option. Just looking for your recommendations!

Offerings through Ventura scouting is very limited, and I am just not experienced enough to teach him properly. Although, I will for sure tag along and participate where I can

I would like to get a bit more experience under his belt so he can settle into a style that he really enjoys, and therefore make investments in a particular rifle or joining a club or range, etc.

Thanks for any of your ideas!

Dave (Dad)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Here, look this over. Click on the Junior link button. http://www.dock.net/ovgc/ There is also information on joining the Ojai Valley Gun Club.

PM me if you have questions about the club itself.
Old 08-06-2013, 1:22 PM
ISPCD
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Supdae, also look into Project Appleseed.

Quote:
Marksmanship Clinic

Our rifle marksmanship program complements our history and heritage. We teach the traditional American marksmanship skills. There are, however, several aspects of our marksmanship program that deserve special mention. We are particularly proud of our younger attendees. In accordance with applicable local laws, young people with sufficient maturity are welcome to the Appleseed line and can, with parental permission, join the cadre. The RWVA recognizes the importance of introducing a wide cross section of Americans to their marksmanship heritage. To encourage participation, we offer our program of instruction at a greatly reduced price to both women, and responsible persons under 21
There's a sub-forum on calguns just for them: The Appleseed Project

Appleseed also has it's own forums: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/

The program gets high reviews and we have some dedicated instructors here in southern California.

Ventura area would be the monthly event held at Wes Thompson's Piru Rifle Range in Piru. Schedule HERE.

Good luck to you and your boy.