Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-20-2012, 7:04 PM

Default Looking into getting my first pistol & safes/accessories

Hi guys!

Lurker for a while, don't really post much. As a thing, I was wondering where I should put this, figured this was the right forum, but if it's not, I apologize and if a moderator could move it to the right one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, I'm looking into getting my first pistol, right now it's up between a Glock 17, a Springfield XD, and a RIA 1911, which all fall within my $400-$600 range depending on where I get it.

Anyways, I'm going back to the range to narrow it down, honestly I think it's going to be between the G17 and XD, simply because of ammo costs. But if anyone has anything to weigh in, that would be great. I understand it's personal preference, and I reallllllly like the way the XD fits into my hand.

But the bulk of the question is going to confirm I have the right information for everything before I finally buy it. I like getting everything right and don't want to hit any snags before or during purchasing.

First, I'll be getting my HSC in the next week or two.
Second, when purchasing I will have my Drivers License / Pass Port, and I'm trying to figure out what I can use for my proof of residence... I rent my apartment through a sub-lease, so I think I'm going to go with that? No vehicle registration, or owned houses.

Got my ear protection: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff
Looking for a good, but reasonably priced safe. I prefer it to be on Amazon since I have about $180 left on Credit, and I'm pretty damn broke.

I was thinking about http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV100...ds=pistol+safe

That's all I think I need to show? Wham, bam, 10 days? All California legal?

Thanks for any and all responses.
Old 12-20-2012, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Utility bill would work as proof of residency. As for your safe, I've gotta recommend that you spend as much as you can for it. You value your guns, and additionally I'm sure you wouldn't want them to be grabbed and used criminally. Do you have any long guns to store, or just the pistol? Also keep in mind that you will run out of room QUICK...
Old 12-20-2012, 7:46 PM

Glock vs XD - buy the one you shoot best. I like XD, but I am an odd person.

Proof of residency - Utility Bill, Cable TV bill, Land Line Telephone.

House Lock Box - I've got a DAC sport safe, it's in the same price range as the Gunvault.

If you don't have a vehicle (I assume that from the "no vehicle registration" then you'll need a locked container to transport the gun to/from the range. Unless Springfield has changed their plastic box since I bought my last XD, you can get a padlock and just put it through the hole designed for that purpose.

You'll need ammo and cleaning supplies, so you may want to hold off on the house lock box until payday UNLESS you have someone under 18 living in the same residence. Then you need a California approved lockbox. The Gunvault qualifies in that arena.

Do you have eye protection along with the mentioned ear protection?
Old 12-20-2012, 8:19 PM

As most will tell you, shoot it before you buy it. Glocks and XD's are great guns. I own both. I don't notice much of a difference between shooting the two, but some people do. My brother can't even hit paper with Glocks. I have friends who can't shoot Glocks either for some reason. As far as a safe, I would purchase a big safe (even though your first gun is a handgun. Trust me, you will be adding much more to your collection. I also put other things in my safe, like ammo, knives, valuables, etc...
Old 12-20-2012, 11:06 PM

Hey thanks!

No long guns, and no one in the house is under 18.

Proof of Residency, would it have to be my name on the bill? I don't have my name on any of them because I'm doing short term subleases at this temp job. I think this is probably going to be the hardest thing for me to get... Hm.

Yeah. I'm going to have to start looking into a bigger safe, thanks for the suggestion. I def. don't want that to happen.

And thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to the range to shoot both of them again, used both of them 4 times now... my results are changing everytime...

I have some Flakjacks as well as ANSI-rated glasses for eye protection as of right now.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Your name should be on your lease. Bring that as it will work for proof of residency.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 AM

I have used a notary public as a proof or residence more than one occasion.

I had the homeowner write up a statement that I lived at so and so residence for x many years ect., signed and dated and got it notarized (yourself and homeowner both present).
Old 12-21-2012, 6:58 AM

I was in the same position as you, just this past August. Welcome and try to find the best safe that fits your location and wallet. I started off with a cabinet for one month, then finally hunkered down for a 14 gun safe and even that is filling up now. Now I just use the cabinet to store ammo. But once you buy one, you can't stop and now my safe is an array of hand guns, rifles, and shotguns.

If you find a notary, I'd use that. I had used that with my first two purchases and had no issues (I was moving at the time too). And personally, my first handgun was the xd...I had a choice between a glock 17 and my 9mm xd and after going to the range with a friend and a pistol training course, just went with the xd as it felt so much more natural in my hand.
Old 12-21-2012, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker8baller View Post
Hi guys!

Lurker for a while, don't really post much. As a thing, I was wondering where I should put this, figured this was the right forum, but if it's not, I apologize and if a moderator could move it to the right one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, I'm looking into getting my first pistol, right now it's up between a Glock 17, a Springfield XD, and a RIA 1911, which all fall within my $400-$600 range depending on where I get it.

Anyways, I'm going back to the range to narrow it down, honestly I think it's going to be between the G17 and XD, simply because of ammo costs. But if anyone has anything to weigh in, that would be great. I understand it's personal preference, and I reallllllly like the way the XD fits into my hand.

But the bulk of the question is going to confirm I have the right information for everything before I finally buy it. I like getting everything right and don't want to hit any snags before or during purchasing.

First, I'll be getting my HSC in the next week or two.
Second, when purchasing I will have my Drivers License / Pass Port, and I'm trying to figure out what I can use for my proof of residence... I rent my apartment through a sub-lease, so I think I'm going to go with that? No vehicle registration, or owned houses.

Got my ear protection: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff
Looking for a good, but reasonably priced safe. I prefer it to be on Amazon since I have about $180 left on Credit, and I'm pretty damn broke.

I was thinking about http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV100...ds=pistol+safe

That's all I think I need to show? Wham, bam, 10 days? All California legal?

Thanks for any and all responses.
Then what are you doing buying a gun?

WTB: Double Action Revolver in .327 Federal Magnum

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 12-21-2012, 7:35 AM

AFAIK, you can't use a passport as ID. I tried to PPT a gun from a SELLER who had a passport -- had to do it again later.

If this is your first gun, don't buy a safe until you kind of know your propensity to buying lots of guns. Buy something to hide your HD gun like the GV1000 previous mentioned. Personally, I prefer something with mechanical buttons like the FAS1 for simplicity and speed unless you have kids in the house. Read the gun safe sticky.
Old 12-21-2012, 7:43 AM

Glocks and Xds are both good choices. You should rent them both before you purchase to see which one you are more comfortable with. Make sure you get a lockbox or a small safe for the house. Some are very inexpensive and does the job. Good luck with the purchase and have fun!
Old 12-21-2012, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

M&P and you will be happy. Try before you buy and you will see that the Glock is not the end all do all.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 12-21-2012, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Welcome to Cal Guns..!.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-21-2012, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Welcome to Cal Guns..!.
Welcome o the clusterfluff known as Calguns.
OP-scratch the plastic idea and grab a used real gun for the same price range. It'll be broken in already and you can shoot anything through it without feeling bad.
Or just get a cz

Quote:
Originally Posted by afteractionreport View Post
"Colostomy323?"...
Damn auto correct:rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
His mother gave him herpes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself :rofl:
Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

My first handgun was a Glock 31 in .357sig. Are you a new shooter as well as a first time owner? If so, I usually have my new shooter friends start off by using my XD or 1911 due to having multiple safties. Either way, I would suggest taking a basic handgun course if you are a new shooter. My local range does them for $150 and covers: Safety, CA law in regards to firearms, fundamentals for proper marksmanship, selection of firearms, accessories and ammunition, 100rds of live fire, and proper mindset for survival.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Get both guns. You will eventually start filling up the safe. Firearms Training Associates has a great handgun class. Start with good mechanics and being safe.
Old 12-21-2012, 8:07 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Just to sum up some of the responses.

Got my Driver's License either way, so Passport or Driver's License, I'll bring both just in case.

I'll talk with the homeowner to see if he's ok with going with me to the notary. Here's for hoping!

When I said I'm broke, I have enough saved up (From money that I can spend) for a gun, the fees, HSC permit test, and some ammo (~600 more or less). I'd prefer to buy the rest on Amazon since I have the gift credit sitting there.

I was considering the CZ75B, but when I shot it, I much preferred the M92FS, just didn't work for me. Will search for used route, hopefully will find something!

Will start looking for a more permanent style option safe. Thanks for answering all of my questions, much appreciated!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:57 AM

RIA 1911s are a good value, but if you can I'd save up a bit more and check out the tactical version. Another thing to remember is the RIAs come with a lifetime warranty, and Shawn, their gunsmith in Nevada, is fantastic. Just something else to consider. Keep us updated!
Old 12-22-2012, 1:19 PM

Will do.

I'm heading out in a week to the range to get my HSC, and to finalize what pistol I want. I'll try out the RIA 1911, but the two things holding me back from committing would be the cost of .45ACP ammo, and the fact that my friend recommended that I start off with 9mm to acquire proper technique, but I figure I can always get a .22 to do that.

Thanks!~
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 AM

Like ZX-10R suggested, try a M&P9 before you buy.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:44 PM

Took the plunge.

Springfield XD 4" 9mm Essentials.

-Grabbed ear pro: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...ear+protection
-Safe: http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-PS-51...pr_product_top

Yaa?

Trying to bulk buy some 9mm for $200 for 1000
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 PM

Congratulations! The XD is a great gun. Awesome ergonomics and very accurate. I'm considering something from the XD family in the future.

I talked a best friend into the XD 9 and I ended up with a M&P 9. I have to say, I really enjoy shooting his gun. You'll love it!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker8baller View Post
Took the plunge.

Springfield XD 4" 9mm Essentials.

-Grabbed ear pro: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...ear+protection
-Safe: http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-PS-51...pr_product_top

Yaa?

Trying to bulk buy some 9mm for $200 for 1000

congrats on your XD.

now it's time to do some research for your 'big' gun safe; you can find reviews and discussions in the "Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Locks & more" section of Calguns.

welcome to the forum.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:29 AM

car registration
Old 01-17-2013, 8:48 AM

Not a fan of the XDs and all their unnecessary safeties. Just more things to remember to take off or that could malfunction and if you need your gun quickly and forget to disable one or dont have a perfect grip on it with your palm, it wont go bang and that could be big trouble for you. Glocks you pick up and fire, as a gun should be. If you like the XD though, get what you are more comfortable with. I did the same thing you did with the safe, got a small one thinking I would only get a handgun, I was wrong. I have also added a shotgun and an AR. Found an 8 gun Stack On safe at Big 5 for only $120 and added that. Have fun.