Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-13-2007, 9:31 AM

Default Trijicon Reddot vs. Docter Optic

I was at the gunshow this weekend and noticed this sight from Trijicon:
http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...?categoryID=13

Does anyone know if they bought out Docter or what the story is behind these sights?
Old 08-13-2007, 1:37 PM

I am not sure of the story. I can tell you that the Burris Fast Fire is an excellent product. It has an actual glass lens instead of plastic and the body is aluminum instead of plastic. I got the information from La Rue Tactical which is where I ordered one from. Oh yeah it also has an on/off switch.
http://burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

Last edited by jrhglock99; 08-13-2007 at 1:40 PM..
Old 08-13-2007, 3:08 PM

from that pic it looks more like the JPoint/Optima than the DocterSight on the TA31DOC

*see the difference here: http://www.trijicon.com/pdfs/reddot.pdf

from what I've read on glocktalk, Docter changed distributor in 06(used to be PMC). http://www.docterusa.com/

Last edited by dw1784; 08-13-2007 at 4:03 PM.. Reason: addd *info
Old 08-14-2007, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhglock99 View Post
I am not sure of the story. I can tell you that the Burris Fast Fire is an excellent product. It has an actual glass lens instead of plastic and the body is aluminum instead of plastic. I got the information from La Rue Tactical which is where I ordered one from. Oh yeah it also has an on/off switch.
http://burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

Does the Burris fastfire have the same type of mount as the Docter and J-Point? I just got an ACOG TA01 and I was looking for a mini-red dot to mount on it, will the fastfire work with the larue or other mount on my TA01? This optic will actually be used on a combat rifle, so I need something durable and with good battery life. thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 8:26 AM

When I spoke to La Rue they said it was the same mounting system. I however can not tell you for surebecause I do not have the other sights. Your best bet would be to call La Rue and ask them as the sell all of the red dot sights.
Old 08-14-2007, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertram800 View Post
Does the Burris fastfire have the same type of mount as the Docter and J-Point? I just got an ACOG TA01 and I was looking for a mini-red dot to mount on it, will the fastfire work with the larue or other mount on my TA01? This optic will actually be used on a combat rifle, so I need something durable and with good battery life. thanks!
If you are using this for combat, I'd suggest the Doc Optics version since it is what Trijicon uses and I believe has been combat proven. The only downside to the Doc Optics is the lack of an on/off switch. It is purely operated by a light intensity sensor. Do you plan on using this for CQB or to have a 1x reddot for general use in addition to the ACOG?
Old 08-14-2007, 2:02 PM

I plan on using it mounted on top of my ACOG. I was really interested in the fastfire since it has the on/off switch, I don't want to have to mess around with a cover. I know I'd end up losing the cover! The fastfire is aluminum too, and has glass as opposed to plastic, I'm thinking that it would be durable enough outside, I'm just worried about the internals, and if they are as durable as the docters.
Old 08-14-2007, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertram800 View Post
I plan on using it mounted on top of my ACOG. I was really interested in the fastfire since it has the on/off switch, I don't want to have to mess around with a cover. I know I'd end up losing the cover! The fastfire is aluminum too, and has glass as opposed to plastic, I'm thinking that it would be durable enough outside, I'm just worried about the internals, and if they are as durable as the docters.
Again, back to my original question of what your intent on using it is for. I have an NSN and I have tried to use the irons on top for targets close up when running through the tactical carbine matches at Chabot. If you thought remember to aim 2" high was hard, imagine that with the additional 1" on top and no cheekweld! Also, what type of combat are you referring to?

Drill a small hole through the top of the sight cover and attach a string that ties around the base of your ACOG if you are afraid of losing the cover. Also, I would be concerned about the enemy seeing the reddot through the business end of the Bushnell.

Last edited by megavolt121; 08-14-2007 at 2:29 PM..
Old 08-15-2007, 1:23 PM

I'm going to be using it for everything from convoy security, to foot patrols through towns, fixed posts ie ECP's, and towers, and mabye, hopefully not, kicking in doors. The ACOG just plain sucks for anything inside of a building or small space, and I'd like to have the simplicity and X1 zoom of a red-dot, and don't want to have to be switching between my aimpoint and ACOG. For CQB, I'm not worried about cheekweld as I'm going to be holding my head up so I can look around anyhow. And as opposed to the iron sights on the TA01NSN the red-dot is adjustable, I'd probably zero it in for around 15-20 yards. Good idea about the string and cover, mabye I'll try an elastic cord type so it won't rattle and flop around. Anyhow, I'm interested in the fast-fire because it has the on/off switch, not to mention that it's like $100 cheaper...If I could afford the Docter, I'd get it, but Uncle Sam isn't that generous with his loot! lol!
Old 10-05-2007, 2:12 AM

Which one did you end up going with? How do you like it?

Thanks for what you do!

-Chris