Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-05-2013, 3:08 PM

A stiffer penalty probably would have made Adam reconsider carrying firearms through a school zone to commit MURDER.

New NRA Campaign to Liberals: "Afraid of a tryannical Trump Administration? Buy a gun..."
Old 01-06-2013, 8:12 AM

Take a look at the complete roster of our representatives...they are almost ALL Democrats. This state is ruled by Dems from top to bottom and these people are irresponsible tax and spend, welfare state, anti 2nd amendment leftists. We vote them in and then go to them with our hats in our hands to beg them for rights given to us by the constitution. This is simply insane and I am not going to be convinced that many here don't vote for Dems...over and over and then complain about their rights being taken away.

Jack Crabb...in "Little Big Man"
Old 01-06-2013, 8:42 AM

I am waiting for someone to tell that Democrat politicians are not largely...at least, responsible for the necessity of having to beg them to be able to keep most of what we earn and keep firearms as we see fit...without begging. I am waiting

Jack Crabb...in "Little Big Man"
Old 01-06-2013, 8:51 AM

I have never been too interested in politics until now. I appreciate everyone's help with the form letters and method of contacting the correct people. I prep a few letters a night after work and mail the next day. If you're a gun owner, there's no excuse for not doing your part! Thanks guys!

Here is Scott Peters contact information for the 52nd district:
http://www.scottpeters.com/contact

Last edited by Green Flash; 01-06-2013 at 8:54 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Default Mike Thompson Letter

I tried to send this to Mike Thompson but his page would not let me because I am not in his district.
Mr. Thompson
You and I share some concerns over the method to control gun violence.
I am also a Father, grandfather and great grandfather and I am also deeply shocked, not only with the recent school tragedy but in every case where good honest U.S. citizens are impacted with gun violence.
I am also a veteran ( Former Marine), I carried an M-1 and not an assault rifle like you carried in Vietnam. And I sincerely thank you for your service.
I am a gun owner, former hunter and supporter of the Constitution of the United States. I believe the constitution gives law abiding citizens the individual right to own firearms.
I understand guns but cannot understand how you believe that guns as defined in California as “assault Rifles” in any way other than form conform to what you carried in Vietnam! I would certainly expect a combat veteran to be able to tell the difference.
Certainly a combat veteran as yourself would know the difference and I cannot understand why you are misrepresenting this fact. Certainly you must know as someone familiar with the use and purpose of firearms would see that the inclusion of a pistol grip, flash hider and detachable magazine (regardless of capacity) in no way affects the function of the weapon to be anything other than a semi automatic rifle in any other form would serve the same function.
Congress had at one time banned these quasi assault rifles and repealed that ban when statistics showed it had no impact on gun violence!
I am also concerned that it appears that you think of adherence to the tenants of the constitution, specifically Article 2, as arming more people rather than giving the right for law abiding citizens the option to arm themselves.
I am also concerned that you believe that an improvement in background checks will be effective. You certainly must be aware that the greatest incidents of the unlawful use of guns is done by non law abiding citizens who do not comply with the laws to legally acquire guns!
I also do not understand your confusing contradictory statement about no laws will end horrific tragedies and senseless act of violence, but you are proposing laws to try to do that!!
All of this misinformation only serves to deceive my fellow citizens who are not cognizant of the facts, who are also seeking to end any violence in our fine country.
You do a disservice, Sir, to the citizenry, to moral and honest behavior by promoting this misinformation.
Yours sincerely.
Paul de Nubilo
Old 01-07-2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodngun762 View Post
This is a good idea, we need action like this. Are there not any guns rights foundations that have such prepared letter sending campaigns? Perhaps they are waiting for more details on what might be apart of proposed legislation.

I did send this short letter in to my local Rep, feel free to use it as template or edit it how it suits you.
Thank you for the letter, Just e-mailed my Rep.
Will post his response, if I get one.

D'oh!
LaMalfa retired, his post is vacant.
Who votes in his place? or do we not get a dog in this fight?

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."-Capo

Last edited by Mad Scotsman; 01-07-2013 at 2:36 PM.. Reason: brainfart
Old 01-07-2013, 8:50 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

I just wrote to my new Rep., Barbara Lee. Seems my area was redistricted...
I have no expectation that Ms. Lee will see things my way since she is known as a 'far-left Democrat' but there is nothing to be gained by keeping silent. This issue is, as we all know, far too important to not speak out.
We'll see what she has to say.
Now a bit to the south in Pete Starks old district the newcomer, Eric Swalwell, is described as a 'centrist dem' and I'd urge anyone in the 15th district to give him some mail worth considering! There may be hope for him, I hope.
Old 01-09-2013, 5:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sent an email to Jeff Denham a few minutes ago. I'll update this post with his response when I receive it.
Old 01-09-2013, 7:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From Rep. Anna Eschoo, CA-14

Quote:
Dear <my name? ,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concern about calls for increased federal gun control in the wake of the unspeakable tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate the time you took to write to me, and while we may not agree completely on this issue, I welcome your thoughts on it.

Like you, I respect the U.S. Constitution as the foundation of our great democracy. The Framers supported the right of colonists to defend themselves against the British Empire , and at the time of the Second Amendment's drafting, they were concerned that the absence of a "well-regulated militia" could jeopardize the entire American democratic experiment.

O ur founding fathers never contemplated , however, whether the open availability of modern military hardware would be necessary to ensure individual liberty in the 21 st century. High-capacity ammunition magazines, high-powered assault rifles, and even semi-automatic weapons had yet to be invented , so it now falls upon us to determine the place of modern, high ly lethal weapons of war in civil society.

The right of responsible citizens to keep and bear arms must be carefully weighed against the right of all Americans to live in a safe society—and as such, responsible steps can and must be taken to protect the latter without infringing upon the former. Closing the " gun show " loophole, banning high-capacity ammunition magazines, and improving the system of background checks for gun purchasers will do nothing to infringe upon the right of citizens to keep and use firearms for recreational, subsistence, or even self-defense purposes.

Please know that while we may not agree on the effectiveness of particular gun control policies, I profoundly respect your views and will keep them in mind as Congress considers these matters .

If you have any other questions or comments, let me hear from you. I value what my constituents say to me, and I always need your thoughts and benefit from your ideas.
Typical brushoff.

Feinstein and Boxer are a no-show...

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 PM

A message from me to Duncan Hunter on January 9th.

Quote:
Dear Representative Hunter,

I have read your responses to fellow citizens that have expressed their concern over the gun control frenzy that has erupted in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting and wanted to take a moment to express my thoughts.

Like you, I am a veteran and although I have long since retired from military service I believe deeply in the 2nd Amendment and the oath that I took to defend the Constitution. Our founding fathers knew that an unarmed populace would be subject to the same tyranny that they had left behind in England. They were determined to place the citizens of this country on equal footing with any armed force that a runaway government might try to turn on its own. As such, you and your fellow members of Congress should resist any attempt to ban or restrict the sale, possession or use of semi-automatic weapons and standard capacity magazines. There should be no bargaining with our fundamental rights to keep and bear arms that are in common use (see Supreme Court decision in Heller v. District of Columbia). In addition, it appears that our President may intend to bypass Congress altogether and restrict our 2nd amendment rights though executive order. I urge you and the other members of Congress to resist these efforts also and to challenge them in court if necessary.

Thank you,
Reply received January 11th

Quote:
Dear Mr. Wazdat:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts and concerns related to the tragic attack in Connecticut. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this important issue.

Like you, I was deeply saddened when I heard of the horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims of this tragedy.

At the same time, I also recognize that when situations like these arise, the first reaction is to advocate for additional gun control laws and restrictions that may not be necessary. I can assure you that I share your support for the fundamental right of law-abiding citizens to safely and responsibly possess firearms and do not believe in restricting our constitutional rights.

Moreover, I encourage efforts to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and street-gangs, and believe that those who violate our state and federal gun laws should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Please know that I remain committed to upholding the Second Amendment and will carefully consider all bills that would limit the ability of responsible Americans to purchase and possess firearms with your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Sincerely,

Duncan Hunter
Member of Congress
Yes, I know it's a form letter sent from one of his staffers, but I've had other conversations with him in person concerning 2A rights and I know where he stands. He's firmly on the side of gun rights.

ET1 - U.S. Navy, Retired

Politicians take note...

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,
foreign and domestic..."
Old 01-11-2013, 8:13 PM

I emailed my reps, Feinstein and Bera (talk about not having my views represented), earlier today. We'll see if either of them even bother to respond.
Old 01-12-2013, 7:08 AM

Response from Duncan Hunter 50th Dist. Form letter but he's firm. Emphasis mine.

Dear Mr. <rplusplus>:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns for protecting Second Amendment rights in lieu of the tragic attack in Connecticut. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this important issue.

I was deeply saddened when I heard of the horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Further, I can assure you that I share your support for the fundamental right of law-abiding citizens to safely and responsibly possess firearms and do not believe in restricting our constitutional rights.

As you know, Senator Dianne Feinstein intends to introduce legislation that would prohibit the sale, transfer, importation, and manufacturing of high-capacity magazines. Like you, I am concerned with any legislation that further infringes upon the ideals outlined in the Second Amendment.

When tragedies like this arise, the first reaction by some is to advocate for stricter gun control laws and regulations that may not be necessary. Instead, it is my firm belief that those who violate our state and federal gun laws should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Rest assured that as any gun legislation is debated at the federal level, I will continue fighting to protect our Second Amendment rights with your specific thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Sincerely,

Duncan Hunter
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM

On the Federal level I sent emails to Obama, Biden, Feinstein, Boxer, Capps (my district rep... sorry, actually "sorry" for all the above) last week but haven't heard anything back yet (no surprise). Additionally, I also sent emails to several other pro-gun senators stating dismay with "my" representatives who have no apparent concern for protecting my (our) 2A rights and asking them to keep in mind those of us with no true representation.

On the state level I sent emails to Brown, Monning and Achadjian. As above, no response.

It's an uphill battle no doubt, but one we must make with unwavering commitment.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 AM

I fired off letters to Feinstein, Boxer, and Sherman a couple of weeks ago. Big surprise, no response from Feinstein or Boxer (to date). Sherman on the other hand acknowleges my letter(s) but needs to verify my zip code before he can respond. I've lived in his district since the "POS" was elected into office (no, I did not vote for him).
Old 01-12-2013, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

I got the same brush off from Eshoo.

Said we need to ban hi capacity magazines and the whole nine yards.
Old 01-12-2013, 5:33 PM

I never hear for Karen Bass' Office other than the autoreply email few minutes after I sent my email last Dec 31.

" Response to your email from Rep. Karen Bass
December 31, 2012 8:38PM

Thank you for taking the time to write to me. As your Representative, I appreciate hearing your thoughts and welcome the opportunity to respond. I will reply to your correspondence shortly.

To learn more about my position on issues important to the 33rd Congressional District, please visit my website at karenbass.house.gov or sign up for my e-newsletter. "

Anyone think this emailing our Honorable (?) Representatives are EFFECTIVE. Are they really reading it or this kind off email and ONLY read and trashed by their Staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-13-2013, 7:17 PM

Default Assembly and State Senate Reps post 2012 election

I am in the NEW 18th CA State Senate district, but cannot find my representative. The 18th is not even listed on any election results websites, ballotpeida.org or any others.

The CA assembly webpage directs me to Alex Padilla (20), but the map on his page doesn't cover my area. I was in the 23rd (Fran Pavley), she won reelection, but now she covers the 27th. The NRA site claims that my district is split between three State Senators from nearby districts, Carol Liu (25) and Curren Price (26), also Jean Fuller(18) who seems OK but she is from Bakersfield, so can't be her.

I am confused. I am usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out. Lame.

The CA assembly websites don't seem to be updated yet, or does anyone have a new, updated one that has the newly elected State Senators assigned to their new districts?

Last edited by JBBenson; 01-13-2013 at 7:53 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 9:59 PM

Received this automated reply:
Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail. Your views are very important to me and I appreciate that you took the time to share your concerns and opinions with me.

My office has received your e-mail and it is currently being processed through our correspondence system. Rest assured that I will be made aware of your opinions and concerns.

I encourage you to look at my website, where you can learn more about the services I can provide to constituents.

For example, I can:

* Assist you in a dispute with a federal agency;
* Schedule tours in Washington, DC;
* Help you locate federal grants; and
* Request a flag be flown over the capitol for you.

Learn more about the services I can provide to you at http://honda.house.gov/index.php?opt...id=13&Itemid=3

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor serving you.

Sincerely,
Congressman Mike Honda

Stay up to date about national issues that impact you and your family with my enewsletter (http://honda.house.gov/). I also encourage you to tell me your thoughts about the issues impacting our nation on my blog (http://honda.house.gov/blog).
I guess I will use his tour planning services if I ever visit Washington DC.

NRA Life Patron Member
SAF Life Member
Old 01-14-2013, 8:55 AM

With the exception of a small minority of politicians, your rights are now on the table during debt ceiling negotiations. They will be willing to compromise on gun control in order to get what they want regarding spending, taxes, debt, etc. Now is the time to let them know. It does not matter if new gun control laws are unconstitutional because they do not care. It will take years before any unconstitutional laws are struck down be the SCOTUS and in the interim, they won the battle by claiming they "did something".
Old 01-14-2013, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
A stiffer penalty probably would have made Adam reconsider carrying firearms through a school zone to commit MURDER.
My solution to thugs that use firearms when committing a crime is the mandatory removal of their hands. This would serve as a deterrent and ensure they never did it again.
Old 01-14-2013, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

This was a response I got back from McClintock today for one of the messages/letters I've sent him:

Quote:
Dear roushstage2:

Thank you for writing to express your support for protecting Second Amendment rights.

I firmly believe that the right to keep and bear arms is fundamental to our way of life, and no less important than the other rights outlined in the Constitution. Unfortunately, many don't see it this way. Time and again the same folks who vigorously defend a criminal's rights are happy to see restrictions placed on a law abiding citizen's right to keep and bear arms.

I am working hard to stop this trend – Second Amendment rights shouldn't be given second class treatment. I have consistently opposed legislation that would infringe on the right to bear arms, like the Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing Act, which would require licensing, photographs, thumbprints, and other intrusive hurdles before a law-abiding citizen could own a gun.

I have also co-sponsored bills which make our Second Amendment rights more secure. One of these is the Citizens' Self-Defense Act, which makes clear a right to self-defense in one's own home. Additionally, I am a co-sponsor of a bi-partisan bill which would modernize or roll back a number of outdated and inflexible firearms laws and regulations.

Thanks again for taking time to contact me. Please don't hesitate to do so in the future regarding this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Tom
Old 01-14-2013, 8:01 PM

That man has his act together. I wish there were more like McClintock in office
Old 01-14-2013, 9:44 PM

I am down in Chula Vista our rep is Juan Vargas (good luck with what I read about that guy) but he was not in his office the first time I emailed my Senators. I started to go down the list and emailed the first 20 CA Congressmen and sprinkled in about 10 others from various counties that looked like good people. NO REPLY FROM ANY OF THEM except one. I will post what I wrote (sorry if you don't agree with all I wrote ahead of time) and I will post the ONE reply I got.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mrs. CongressPerson, (we have no representative yet for the 51st district)
I am writing you in connection to your stance on gun control (more specifically) your stance on assault looking weapons.
Who am I? My name is . I hold a Bachelors , I joined the Navy at 30 enlisted , I was Honorable Discharged. I was stationed aboard a ship in San Diego where I encountered the "Facebook/MySpace" generation. I was the lead communications technician (internet) aboard my ship. I graduated college in 2000 during the .com bubble. I would like to think I am an expert at the social impact the Internet has had on Society. I by no means have "every" angle but I have been paying attention. (I've been secretly studying the ****, but I didn't write this) In the Navy I was stationed aboard a ship where most of the individuals were between 5 and 10 years old when the USS Cole and World Trade Centers happened (means nothing to them.) I had my first "real" job then and got laid off, I was dating an American Airlines stewardess on Sept 11 2001. I know that the Military is plagued with gangs and Immigrants. My sense of Patriotism was really tested on a daily basis. I am also an avid gamer. I have played PC games since as long as I can remember 1988 playing Oregon Trail. My favorite President was Ronald Reagan. Today I am thirty-. I coached Pop Warner Football for 3 years 2001-2003.
I am writing you because I want to point out that I do not feel the inanimate tools called guns are the issue. You are making a mistake.
What is the issue? Mrs. CongressPerson, as I grow older I look back and think what is wrong? What could have been better? What are the younger generation missing? And I want to tell you some things that really standout in my mind. Facebook bullying - Facebook is a communications device for youngsters to communicate in secret on an updated basis to plot against others. It is a website designed around jealousy/envy. These are adult games and Facebook is still 13+. Why is it not 18+ and deemed Adult orientated material? Does a 13 year old need a Facebook page? Don't you think kids should learn how to interact with one another before they become socially numb to Internet Buddies?
First Person Shooter video games - I am sorry but these are not for children. Playing games in First Person numbs children into feeling the world around them does not affect them. Labels should be created that these style of games are for adults 18+ not children, this is also for Twitter and for Facebook. Children need to know Justin Beiber is not just a Tweet away and he is not your friend. Online Social Groups/websites whatever you want to call them need to be limited to Adults. Where is the ESRB? (Entertainment Software Rating Board) for webpages? Facebook is nothing more than a commercial enterprise preying on our young people and marketing to them. (For good or bad they don’t care)
And finally and I think one of the most Important. Movies. Movies have such a dramatic impact on society. Children and some adults replicate what they see portrayed on the Silver Screen. I believe that copyrights need to be changed. Movies as we know them have only been around for 50 years but have had such a significant impact on us. Today all I see is Batman and guns and Lone Assassins movies. (Don't get me wrong those are great movies) What happened to American Graffiti, E.T., Goonies they are not popular and they are still under copyright. We should release old movies when they become 20-25 years old this way the younger generation will be able to see where the older generations are coming from as well as instill good old "American" values. What happened to Threes Company, Lavern and Shirley, Grease? Now we have Survivor (bully the other guy off the Island), Or Kardashians (Beauty, Popularity and Fame are more important than doing what is right) Copyright laws are ancient and applied to patents and works of art. But movies are some children's only education and their influence is immeasurable. Plus isn't that why Directors made movies in the first place to impact society? Tell their story? Well I hold them just as accountable in the end for any of these American Tragedies.
In addition I feel that guns are a necessary evil, the Cartels have guns and there is no stopping the drugs and Illegal Immigrants into this country and it has to stop somewhere. You should know this. If the Cartels don't get guns from the U.S. they will get them from South America. Living in Chula Vista and wearing an American Flag is seen as intimidation in any store I walk into. I have been in altercations just because I have been wearing this type of clothing. Should I stop? I will not. Even if I end up shot on the side of the street. Finally Mrs. CongressPerson I don't think Americans who live near the border should fear for their lives! From Cartels or gangs or anybody and I think you should Not Ban Assault Looking Weapons. They are not the real problem. The Internet and media needs to be looked at and dealt with, with a careful hand. What would the cops in the North Hollywood shootout have done if they couldn’t get heavier assault weapons and ammo at the gun shop?

Respectfully,

Me

P.S. I would like to see a Principle/Teacher concealed carry program.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And my reply:
From "Yours Truly" Mr. Dana Rohrabacher

Dear Me:

Thank you for contacting me with your views regarding gun control in the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

First and foremost, no words can adequately describe the unspeakable crime that occurred in Connecticut. As a father of three, my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this terrible event, as well as to their families and loved ones. Now is the time to pause and reflect on how we can prevent such events in the future in a manner consistent with our rights and values.

Gun control is a constitutional issue that requires thoughtfully looking at all of the facts in order to avoid unintended consequences. Often, gun control laws do not accomplish what they are intended to. Just as we saw with prohibition, such laws can perpetuate crime, underground markets and empower criminals and cartels. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, a majority of guns used by criminals are stolen, bought on the black market, or obtained in other illegal ways. As seen more recently in Connecticut, a state with some of the most stringent gun control laws in the nation, it is very difficult to keep weapons from being acquired by "high-risk" individuals.

I remain open to discussing any measures that would help prevent attacks such as the Connecticut shooting. Focusing solely on controlling guns is not a useful tack, however. We must also look at what active steps we can take to help troubled people before they use weapons to harm innocent people. President Obama recently announced that Vice President Joe Biden will be heading up a task force to form the Administration's policies to curb gun-related violence. Hopefully the resulting suggestions do not focus solely on more laws restricting guns, while shying away from other measures that might prevent or stop shootings such as the one that was perpetrated in Connecticut.

As we continue to work on gun-related violence issues in the 113th Congress, you can rest assured I will keep your views in mind. Again, thank you for giving me the benefit of your views. Please continue to keep me informed on any federal issue of importance to you.

Sincerely,
Dana Rohrabacher
Member of Congress

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably a chain letter but it felt good. Since, I have sent a short "No Assault Weapons Ban" to my Congressman Juan Vargas and no reply.

Sorry if you disagree with my views...but in hindsight you can't bargain with these people they have no clue and are honed in on taking guns...guns have legs and can walk around and shoot by themselves, who knew?.

"Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man." - The Dude

Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 01-14-2013 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: the dude abides
Old 01-17-2013, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I e-mailed Feinstein and Ed Royce. No response so far.
Old 01-17-2013, 6:03 PM

Thank you for taking the time to email Assemblymember Kristin Olsen. Assemblymember Olsen is a strong supporter of gun-owner rights and does not believe that making more stringent gun laws is the answer. She agrees with you that we must tackle the issue of mental health because that is one of the root issues.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Congressman Campbell

Emailed Congressman Campbell,
urging him to vote against any legislation that would further limit firearms or ammunition use or accessibility.
Will post any reply.
Old 01-22-2013, 2:02 PM

Emailed my reps as well. Feinstein, Boxer and Peters. Still waiting for a reply...
Old 01-22-2013, 6:48 PM

Default Dana Rohrabacher's email

Got this from Dana Rohrabacher today, it would have been in response to the Ruger emailer I sent. No reply from any of the others it would have gone to.

Dear xxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me with your views regarding the President's plan on gun control. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

As you may know, on January 16, 2013, President Obama announced his proposal to curb gun related violence, which included 23 executive orders. While I was hopeful for actual solutions to a real problem, the President's proposals were either duplicative, thus unnecessary, or they focused the government's authority and power on controlling honest citizens rather than making it more likely to disarm criminals.

Gun control is a constitutional issue that requires thoughtfully looking at all of the facts in order to avoid unintended consequences. While I remain open to discussing any measures that would help prevent attacks such as the Connecticut shooting, solely focusing on controlling guns and law abiding citizens is not a useful tack. There are some proposals, such as background checks, which have value but concern needs to be given so such measures do not violate the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens.

Often, gun control laws do not accomplish what they are intended to. Just as we saw with prohibition, such laws can perpetuate crime, underground markets and empower criminals and cartels. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, a majority of guns used by criminals are stolen, bought on the black market, or obtained in other illegal ways. As seen more recently in Connecticut, a state with some of the most stringent gun control laws in the nation, it is very difficult to keep weapons from being acquired by "high-risk" individuals. With this in mind, I do not believe we should place any undue or unnecessary burdens on law-abiding citizens in regard to the lawful acquisition, possession, or use of firearms for lawful activity.

As we continue to work on gun-related violence issues in the 113th Congress, you can rest assured I will keep your views in mind. Again, thank you for giving me the benefit of your views. Please continue to keep me informed on any federal issues of importance to you.

Sincerely,
Dana Rohrabacher
Member of Congress
Old 01-23-2013, 9:15 PM

Reply from Congressman Adam Schiff:

January 23, 2013

Dear Mr. "Tripeaks69"

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut and your support for the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome your input.

I share your interest in preserving the Second Amendment right to bear arms. I often went hunting with my father when I was young and our family had been responsible gun owners for many years. I continue to enjoy shooting clays and target practice, although I seldom have the time to go to a range anymore. My father taught me to use firearms safely and to have respect for them and the risks that they pose, much like he taught me to swim and respect the power of the ocean.

I do not feel that the Second Amendment precludes us from instituting a system of universal background checks, and most gun owners (and non-gun owners) support the institution of such a requirement. I also feel that assault weapons and high capacity magazines should be reserved for members of our armed services who need them in combat, and realize that our views differ on this matter. Plainly though, we can agree that we must do more to ensure that those who suffer from mental illness get the treatment they need, and do not get access to guns. In far too many of the recent shootings that have plagued our nation, we learn that the perpetrators suffered from some type of mental illness. Currently, mental health records are included in the background check system at the discretion of the states. In many states, those records are rarely if ever updated and there is no requirement to report them. California has strong laws requiring mental health records to be included in the background check database, but many other states, have no similar requirement. I believe Congress should explore this issue immediately.

Let's work together to bring an end to these terrible mass shootings, and at the same time, protect the rights of lawful gun owners to participate in hunting and sport activities and defend their family and homes. It is the fundamental right of every individual to protect themselves and their loved ones. As we work to protect the nation from the proliferation of these mass shootings and everyday gun violence by criminals, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

An on-going job of a Representative in Congress is to help constituents solve problems with federal agencies, access services, and get their questions answered promptly. On my website, I offer a detailed guide to the services my office can provide to you as a constituent. I also encourage you to subscribe to the Washington Update, my email newsletter which contains information on local events, my work in Washington, and even lets you weigh in on important issues through online polls. Visit me online at http://schiff.house.gov to subscribe. Please know that you can always reach me at (818) 450-2900 or (323) 315-5555 or via my website if I can ever be of additional assistance.

Again, thank you for your input. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Adam B. Schiff

Member of Congress

Old 01-24-2013, 9:02 PM

Default Barbara Boxer's big reply....

This would be a reply from Ruger's email campaign...

Dear xxxxxxxxx:
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.
If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, I invite you to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can send a message to me about current events or pending legislation, access my statements and press releases, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator
Please do not respond to this message. If you would like to comment on legislation, please visit my website and use the correspondence form at https://www.boxer.senate.gov/en/cont...cycomments.cfm.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM

^ same letter I got from Frankenstein. This whole situation is ALL BAD.. We must fight, we must win.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlu04 View Post
That man has his act together. I wish there were more like McClintock in office
I wish the man would run for President. Anytime my wife and I see his name on any ballot - we don't even discuss it - instant vote!

=8-)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmax View Post
This would be a reply from Ruger's email campaign...

Dear xxxxxxxxx:
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.
If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, I invite you to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can send a message to me about current events or pending legislation, access my statements and press releases, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator
Please do not respond to this message. If you would like to comment on legislation, please visit my website and use the correspondence form at https://www.boxer.senate.gov/en/cont...cycomments.cfm.
Received @ 7:45 PM, the same email/response from boxer..

Old 01-25-2013, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

I got a lengthily response from Loretta Sanchez. Unfortunately based on the confidentiality clause attached to it I don't think it can be reposed on here legally.

Quote:
This e-mail may contain PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the specific individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged and confidential under state and federal law. This information may be used or disclosed only in accordance with law, and you may be subject to penalties under law for improper use or further disclosure of the information in this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please let our office know and then delete this email. Thank you.
In a nutshell she says she does not support gun control or preventing responsible Americans from gun ownership. However she does go on quite a bit in regards to supporting more mental health access and coverage. It seems as though she feels individuals with mental health issues having access to guns is something that needs addressed. Take that as you will.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Default SUSAN A. DAVIS

Dear EmptyBottle151,

Thank you for writing to share your thoughts on gun ownership. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response. Each week, I receive over 2,000 pieces of mail, and it often takes me longer to respond than I would like.

I have always respected the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Americans who observe the law should be allowed to own firearms legally and without harassment. At the same time, I'm haunted by the events that took place in Newtown, Connecticut. Those twenty-six lives were taken from us too early. And not too long ago, a mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado took the lives of six people, injuring 58 others. As I watch my friend and former colleague, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, recover from her injuries sustained just over two years ago in a shooting in Tucson, I must ask myself: what are we doing to prevent these tragedies from happening again?

I believe we can honor the Second Amendment while keeping the deadliest weapons out of our neighborhoods. As a former mental health social worker, I think it's imperative that we make it easier to get treatment for mental illnesses. We need to review our current background check process to ensure that guns are kept out of the wrong hands. I understand your concerns but I do believe that we seriously need to revisit the expiration of the assault weapons and high capacity magazine bans. Rest assured, I will continue to advocate for responsible measures that will reduce and hopefully one day prevent senseless acts of violence, while upholding Second Amendment rights for law-abiding Americans.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. As your representative, I both need and value your perspective. Please sign up for my E-Newsletter at my website http://house.gov/susandavis/ if you would like to receive regular updates about what is happening in Congress.

With warm regards,

SUSAN A. DAVIS
Member of Congress
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
This was a response I got back from McClintock today for one of the messages/letters I've sent him:
Tom McClintock is the MAN, my family has always been good friends with him when he lived in Thousand Oaks. Truely one of the only people in Congress who you can count on to be philisophically consistent.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Reply from Scott Peterson:
Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting me about our nation's gun laws. I appreciate hearing from you.

I understand the concern expressed by many; that the implementation of new gun legislation could infringe upon the rights of law-abiding citizens. I fully support the rights conveyed by the Second Amendment and respect every American's right to own guns for purposes of sporting, collection, and/or self-protection. I agree with those who believe that the problem does not lie in the hands of responsible, law-abiding gun owners.

I also believe that in the wake of the horrific tragedy in Newtown—and Aurora, Tucson, and Columbine before that—we must do what is in our power to prevent these massacres. These events demand that we engage in a rational and nonpartisan discussion that leads to lower rates of gun violence.

The approach I favor is comprehensive. We must improve awareness surrounding and treatment of the mental health issues that contribute to these acts of violence. We must ensure that local law enforcement agencies have the tools and resources they need to keep our schools, families, and neighborhoods safe. We need to do a better job of enforcing existing gun laws and I believe that requiring a background check for every gun purchase will help us accomplish that. We also need to agree that there are certain types of weapons and ammunition originally intended for military use that should not be readily available to the public.

Thank you, again, for contacting me. Please know that I value your input as I continue to represent San Diego's interests in Washington. If I can be of further assistance on this or any other matter, I hope you'll be in touch.

Sincerely,

Scott Peters
Member of Congress

"We also need to agree that there are certain types of weapons and ammunition originally intended for military use that should not be readily available to the public. " - That's the part that bothers me. Don't we already have an AWB in CA? They want to expand on that? I replied to him stating that i disagree with any further restrictions on weapons.
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."

Last edited by Mr.1904; 01-25-2013 at 1:16 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 2:35 PM

Let's see..... I originally sent my emails on 01/12 and finally received an automated response and the attached email from my "so called" representative Lois Capps today.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about legislation regarding firearms. As your Representative, I appreciate hearing from you on this very important issue.

I support the constitutional right of citizens to bear arms. I also support commonsense measures to reduce and prevent the type of violence we see all too often, most recently in Newtown, Aurora, Tucson and a host of other communities. For example, I believe we must do more to diagnose and treat the mentally ill and that we should work to reduce the influence that violence in the media has on our kids. However, I also support reinstating the federal ban on assault weapons, similar to the one California already has in state law. And I believe every gun purchase should entail a background check, to reduce the likelihood of felons and deeply mentally ill individuals being able to purchase firearms. And while the state of California requires a background check for the vast majority of guns purchased, currently there is no federal requirement that a background check be conducted for all gun purchases, which allows criminals to easily buy firearms.

I believe there are a host of policies that the vast majority of Americans can agree on that could reduce the likelihood of guns ending up in the wrong people's hands while we continue to honor the constitutionally protected right to bear arms and not unduly burden the legitimate rights of lawful citizens. I hope that we can work together, in a bipartisan manner, to reduce the amount of violence in our society. I am interested in hearing the public discussion in the coming days and weeks on these issues and the policies being proposed, such as universal background checks, requiring gun owners to alert the police if their gun has been stolen, and having law enforcement fully enforce the laws that are already in place. Although we may disagree on some aspects of this issue, I believe that we as a nation can do more to stop criminals from getting guns while also protecting the rights of citizens to freely own them.

Thank you again for contacting me. Rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind as these issues are discussed in the 113th Congress. Please keep in touch by visiting my website, liking my Facebook page, following me on Twitter, or signing up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,

LOIS CAPPS
Member of Congress

__________________________________________________ _______________

Not a surprise that there will be no help for protecting the 2A from Capps. Obviously to her, we cannot let facts get in the way of our decision making and rerspond solely on emotions! I'll keep voting for "the other candidate" and maybe, just maybe well get lucky someday. I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:43 PM

emailed congresswomen Judy Chu from the 27th district, will update once hear anything back
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM

I know this is a CA oriented thread but I used the Ruger site to send it to my WA elected officials. I did it before the bills were introduced and the day they started to roll it all out.

Sen Randi Becker (R) - "It's natural that people demand action following an event like last month's shooting, but I agree that it's also important that we not legislate out of emotion, but rather focus on facts."

State Rep JT Wilcox (R) - "Thank you for your email and for sharing your concerns with me. I am a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights and will do what I can to protect those rights. I swore an oath January 14th to "uphold the Constitution and laws of the United State of America, the Constitution and the laws of the state of Washington." I stand by that oath."

Senator Maria Cantwell - "In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns." - It just gets worse after that sentence...

Rep Gary Alexander (R) - "I agree that the focus on increasing gun restrictions is misguided and that we need to focus on improving mental health services and enforcing gun laws already on the books. It is unlikely I would vote in favor of increasing gun restrictions."

Rep Denny Heck (D) - "First, I believe that doing nothing is not an option." "Second, I believe that all proposals aimed at reducing gun violence should be evaluated in an evidence-based way." "Third, I believe we must strike a reasonable balance between respecting the Second Amendment and the need to keep our communities safe." "...I believe we need to look beyond gun laws." My favorite sentence - "The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled in favor of the right of individual firearm ownership and Congress and the President need to respect this."

Govenor Jay Inslee (D) - "The Governor appreciates each and every one of the thousands of contacts she has received from people all across the state over the last few months. The issues, comments and concerns from each of you are important to her as we face these difficult times."

Senator Patty Murray (D) - "There is no question that we can and should limit access to the assault style weapons of war that are on our streets and that are too often being used to kill innocent people indiscriminately. I have repeatedly voted for an assault weapons ban and will do so again as soon as we can get a bill to the Senate floor."

MIA responses:
President Barack Obama (D)
Vice President Joseph Biden (D)
Rep. Jim McCune (R-WA)
Atty. General Rob McKenna (R-WA).

Last edited by kauaibuilt; 01-26-2013 at 12:19 AM..