Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-18-2012, 8:26 AM

Default Will a ccw affect my chances of being hired as a LEO

Hello there, I have a question about ccw permits and applying for a LEO position. I live in Butte County where it is possible to aquire a concealed carry weapons permit unlike other counties in CA and I am currently a criminal justice student at Chico State with hopes of becoming an officer. I have been thinking of applying for my ccw for some time now, but I have heard different things about having one while applying to an agency. I have heard good and bad things about it. If I was to obtain a permit, would that have a negative effect on my application?

I appreciate any input, thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 9:45 AM

Your CCW or lack of should have no impact whatsoever on your hiring or lack of with a LE agency.

If you were ever to be charged with violating your CCW restrictions that would certainly affect things.

Basically, if you have a desire for CCW and can do so responsibly than go for it. If you want to do it because you think it well help you get an LE job, it won't, so don't.
Old 12-18-2012, 5:39 PM

I can almost guarantee the officers in your oral board are going to ask you why you have a ccw...and your answer should not be "because it is my right." Just be able to articulate why you have it and just know there is no right or wrong answer.

Good luck...ps, I had my CCW prior as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Shouldn't matter unless you make it matter.
Old 12-19-2012, 6:32 AM

I was questioned about my Utah CCW when I applied to LAPD. Any ccw's must be disclosed. The interviewer asked if "they give those out to anybody" then started on a ramble about a liability to the department. I believe that and my inability to produce my DD214 at the time may have been why I was told I wouldn't continue in the application process. It was in '08, so the city budget and economy might also have played a role.
Old 12-19-2012, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

I was just hired in a paid academy and I have a CCW.
Old 12-19-2012, 2:21 PM

Not sure why non-LEOs/uninformed are answering up. Your backgrounder and your psych review doctor will ask why you had one. In my PHQ I answered that I had carried firearms for personal defense in the past. Both asked for an explanation. I said "Have you ever hiked in Montana? If you're not carrying a gun, you're a complete moron." No more was asked.

When my psych doctor asked why I owned an SKS, I told him I liked to shoot guns. Good enough for him.

They just want to make sure you're not some paranoid schizophrenic that feels someone is after you all the time.

BTW I was hired.
Old 12-19-2012, 4:14 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate all your comments. Makes me feel stronger about my choices.
Old 12-19-2012, 8:37 PM

I had mine for about a year before getting hired. Never even came up. However, this is Idaho and stuff like that is as normal as owning a car.

Last edited by trob; 12-19-2012 at 8:40 PM..
Old 12-19-2012, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

I got asked how come I own so many guns and I just said because I collect and they are all different models and calibers. Some departments actually do frown upon that but hey, if they are going to be difficult about it, then so be it. There are other places hiring that don't give a hoot.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I got asked how come I own so many guns and I just said because I collect and they are all different models and calibers. Some departments actually do frown upon that but hey, if they are going to be difficult about it, then so be it. There are other places hiring that don't give a hoot.
Just wonderig how your depeartment would find out how many guns you have, then ask why you have so many? I had (have) a collection of over 200 guns when I applied and got hired. The topic was never brought up once.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Just wonderig how your depeartment would find out how many guns you have, then ask why you have so many? I had (have) a collection of over 200 guns when I applied and got hired. The topic was never brought up once.
My application packet had a question that asked if I owned firearms and to list all serial numbers. Though I was never asked about any of them in the application process.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
More than one department had ran my AFS and showed it to me during the oral. I was pretty shocked by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
My application packet had a question that asked if I owned firearms and to list all serial numbers. Though I was never asked about any of them in the application process.
I've seen that too. Took a while to list them all.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Usual questions will be "why do you have one?", "how many guns do you own?", "what kind of guns do you own?", "have you ever broken any laws pertaining to your ccw permit?" "what kind of training have you received?" and or "have you ever been involved in an altercation in which your firearm came into play?" Answer honestly without coming off as a gun nut, aggressive, defensive or all gung-ho/wannabe cop and it shouldn't matter much.
Old 12-23-2012, 5:15 PM

Here in Southern California some of my partners think everyone should be unarmed. So depending on your interviewer and your background investigator if they think you are a 'good ole boy, cracker' do you think you will get hired?

Being in college if I was you I would play up the 'frat boy', "educated humanitarian" persona. Volunteering for habitat for humanity should be on your resume too.
Old 12-23-2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troysland View Post
I was questioned about my Utah CCW when I applied to LAPD. Any ccw's must be disclosed. The interviewer asked if "they give those out to anybody" then started on a ramble about a liability to the department. I believe that and my inability to produce my DD214 at the time may have been why I was told I wouldn't continue in the application process. It was in '08, so the city budget and economy might also have played a role.
I knew that was coming

Budget had nothing to do with it.
Old 12-26-2012, 9:41 AM

The only thing I was ever asked in regards to firearms before being hired as an LEO (in the interest of full disclosure it was a PO job where arming is an optional thing) was simply whether or not I was comfortable with the idea of carrying a firearms and the possibility of the use of lethal force. During the Psych test the doc asked me if I had any moral convictions against the use of lethal force or the carrying of guns. I answered simply "Provided the situation warrants, I have no problem with the use of lethal force." The fact that I had a CCW was never even mentioned.

Just like with any other job, there is a certain degree of bias on the part of those making the hiring decisions. To put it simply, I wouldn't say anything to the officers on the board that I wouldn't say to anyone that I don't really know. Some people, by their nature or upbringing will take answers in a vastly different way that others.
Old 12-31-2012, 4:11 AM
Calguns Addict

It neither helped or hindered me when I was hired this November. I had gotten my CCW for personal safety and did include it on my background packet as well as in my resume as I'd used my CCW at work, "did private security for 7 years with occasional EP contracts."

The question was brought up during (4) of the interviews with our departments background investigator, oral board, psych and the director. Every time I explained I had it due to personal safety and work relations. No one ever seemed to care either way, but I felt it was a good conversation piece to prove mental stability as well as a way to focus on something relatively positive rather then have them fish for stuff to discuss.

When I started, the Sergeants gave me some hazing for it, but ultimately were respectful about it. They realized between my exposed permit for security and my CCW, it meant I had firearms experience.

And, never was the topic of "How many guns I own" brought up. Rather, questions of what my hobbies were, which I admitted to shooting and plinking for fun.

Last edited by Bizcuits; 12-31-2012 at 4:17 AM..