Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM

Default Vizslas around napa?

Looking for a upland hunting gundog, anyone know of any working stalk of vizslas around Napa CA? that they would recommend...
Thankyou...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Black Point

Head down to or call down to Black Point Pheasant Club. They are close to you, are a pheasant hunt club, and you may get good results there. Best of luck.
Mail:
Black Point Sports Club
7711 Lakeville Road
Petaluma, California 94954
Phone:
(707) 763-0076
Fax:
(707) 313-0186
email:
blckpt@ix.netcom.com
Old 01-06-2013, 7:23 AM
Banned

Good luck. V's are hard to find. My uncle was on a waiting list for well over a year and ended up getting a 1 year old rescue. This dog ended up being a great dog though!
Old 01-06-2013, 8:41 AM

Vizslas are common in SoCal. Contact Dave Aubrey at the San Diego Chapter of NAVHDA. He breeds and tests them. His dogs are nice and I'm sure he can tell you of other lines he likes, possibly in NorCal. There are at least several other breeders around. There is also a national Vizsla Club of America and several affiliated state clubs. Look for a pup from lines bred by hunters for hunters who have the test scores and titles to prove it, especially the parents. There are a lot of AKC pet/show lines out there and I would avoid those. If you can find some breeders who register, breed and test their dogs in the Hungarian or German registries, your chances of getting the best increase substantially (because of the breeding/testing requirements). Also, make sure you get a pup from lines that have clearances for hip dysplasia (I have seen a few dysplastic Vs) and any other diseases or conditions common to the breed. Good dogs are where you find them. Don't be afraid to spend a day or two driving or spend some money on airfare to get the right pup. You will be spending the next 10-15 years together. I have flown in my last two pups as have several friends. Its easy. Insist on a nonstop flight. cool weather or nightime is best. You want a breeder who keeps the litter together until 10 weeks - no earlier than eight weeks

Last edited by ScottB; 01-06-2013 at 9:20 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 9:11 AM

I'm in Napa, and my wife breeds Vizsla's. We have a litter on the ground right now, but all are spoken for. If you need info, My wife is on the board of the Vizsla Club of Northern CA. Any questions you have I will be happy to answer. http://brewskiepups.blogspot.com/ This is the blog of the puppies my wife has up for them

Last edited by napahunter; 01-06-2013 at 9:33 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Vizslas are common in SoCal. Contact Dave Aubrey at the San Diego Chapter of NAVHDA. He breeds and tests them. His dogs are nice and I'm sure he can tell you of other lines he likes, possibly in NorCal. There are at least several other breeders around. There is also a national Vizsla Club of America and several affiliated state clubs. Look for a pup from lines bred by hunters for hunters who have the test scores and titles to prove it, especially the parents. There are a lot of AKC pet/show lines out there and I would avoid those. If you can find some breeders who register, breed and test their dogs in the Hungarian or German registries, your chances of getting the best increase substantially (because of the breeding/testing requirements). Also, make sure you get a pup from lines that have clearances for hip dysplasia (I have seen a few dysplastic Vs) and any other diseases or conditions common to the breed. Good dogs are where you find them. Don't be afraid to spend a day or two driving or spend some money on airfare to get the right pup. You will be spending the next 10-15 years together. I have flown in my last two pups as have several friends. Its easy. Insist on a nonstop flight. cool weather or nightime is best. You want a breeder who keeps the litter together until 10 weeks - no earlier than eight weeks
x2 on this. He is a great guy and is vary passionate about his dogs. I have been to his place and if i get another Vizsla it will be from him.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM

thank you, I put out an email to Dave Awbrey... and i sent you a pm Napahunter