Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-27-2012, 8:24 PM

Small dogs vs large is a whole different animal.
Until recently (last 12 years) I've always had larger dogs, Labs mostly. Currently have Miniture Schnauzers. Small breeds can't handle the large dog diet. Digestive problems with aging small dogs can usually be corrected with low fat diets. I know mine do much better with it.
BTW, I got an email flyer from Costco today. They now carry long shelf life (15 years) dog food. Prepping for your pooch!
Old 12-27-2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9 View Post
I missed the referenced website but actually dogs are omnivorous and have no trouble digesting corn and grains.

FYI - I have studied veterinary nutrition and physiology in an academic setting
Then you should also be aware that Corn and Grains cause possibly the most allergic reactions in dogs. Bad skin and coat issues as well as gut tolerance issues.

I have had hard working field Labradors for years. I had become very tired of the $50+ per 32# bag of premiums that we were buying for years. did my research on foods and found that the Kirkland (Costco) product is made by Diamond and is a very premium food without the corn meals, etc. Lamb and Chicken are excellent and a true 40# bag is $26

It's all I buy for my current boy and he's a lean muscle machine with a gorgeous coat and no allergy or gut issues at all. Best part is he really likes it, too.
Old 12-28-2012, 7:34 AM

The dogs eat Orijen. Supposedly one of the best on the market, at $65+ a 29.7lbs. bag it better be.

In reality that's cheap eating (one bag every six weeks won't kill us), they are members of the family and we treat them as such.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/
Old 12-28-2012, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeruh View Post
The dogs eat Orijen. Supposedly one of the best on the market, at $65+ a 29.7lbs. bag it better be.

In reality that's cheap eating (one bag every six weeks won't kill us), they are members of the family and we treat them as such.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/
That dod food advisor site says it's good stuff.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...og-food-adult/
Old 12-28-2012, 8:19 AM

My dog eats Orijen too, Regional Red to be specific. The orijen plant caught fire not too long ago so production has been running at 40% of normal. Stock up on your dogs food because it might be running short.

Remember for every 12 orijen bags you buy, you get the 13th free. You just need to save the upc's off of the bag and give them back to your dog food supplier who will send the UPC's back to Orijen and give you a free bag of equal value to the ones you buy.
Old 12-28-2012, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzled Bastard View Post
Then you should also be aware that Corn and Grains cause possibly the most allergic reactions in dogs. Bad skin and coat issues as well as gut tolerance issues.

Actually corn is one of the least allergenic ingredients in dog food. In dogs 93% of all allergic reactions to food are caused by: Beef, dairy, wheat, lamb, chicken and soy.

From Small Animal Clinical Nutrition 4th Ed.

"Corn is a nutritionally superior grain compared with others used in pet foods because it contains a balance of nutrients not found in other grains. Corn provides a highly available source of complex carbohydrates and substantial quantities of linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid important for heathy skin. Corn also provides essential amino acids and fiber. In a survey of veterinary dermatologists, corn was not listed among the ingredients most often suspected to cause food allergies. A review of over 200 confirmed canine cases of food allergy in the veterinary literature revealed only three were caused by corn. The same number was reported for rice."

The corn/grain free fed is a pet food company marketing gimmick based on mythology and not science
Old 12-28-2012, 8:52 AM

Interesting citation. Goes completely against my personal experience with 2 dogs and 2 Vet diagnosis but still interesting info.
Old 12-28-2012, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzled Bastard View Post
Interesting citation. Goes completely against my personal experience with 2 dogs and 2 Vet diagnosis but still interesting info.
There is a ton of misinformation out there about pet foods and allergies. The FDA is beginning to crack down on many of the nutritional claims made by the pet food manufacturers. When ruling out food allergies typically one would do an "elimination diet" where you change the food protein to something that the dog hasn't been previously exposed to (duck, lamb, potato, etc). Many signs of allergies are seasonal or come in cycles. The dog gets better and you assume it's the change of diet but in reality it's the removal of an environmental allergen (pollen and dust mites are common culprits). The only way to tell for sure is to do intradermal skin testing +/- serum testing to determine what is really the cause.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton Fenty View Post
That dod food advisor site says it's good stuff.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...og-food-adult/
Yes sir! Best stuff for my Huskies.

As per DFA.com..

Quote:
Orijen Adult is a meat-based dry dog food using an abundance of meat and fish meals as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 5 stars.
Enthusiastically recommended.
Those looking for a quality puppy kibble from the same company may wish to visit our review of Orijen dry puppy food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK4113 View Post
My dog eats Orijen too, Regional Red to be specific. The orijen plant caught fire not too long ago so production has been running at 40% of normal. Stock up on your dogs food because it might be running short.

Remember for every 12 orijen bags you buy, you get the 13th free. You just need to save the upc's off of the bag and give them back to your dog food supplier who will send the UPC's back to Orijen and give you a free bag of equal value to the ones you buy.
I did not know about the plant fire. I'll have to go grab another bag this weekend.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 8:32 PM

I feed a raw meat diet supplemented with certain vegtables for added nutrition. I hunt a lot and the majority of their food is game, birds are great and their uncooked bones are easily digested by cannines. A good raw diet is what their system is designed for, its simple and sustainable, they eat less and well that means a lot less waste.
Old 12-29-2012, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9 View Post
Actually corn is one of the least allergenic ingredients in dog food. In dogs 93% of all allergic reactions to food are caused by: Beef, dairy, wheat, lamb, chicken and soy.

From Small Animal Clinical Nutrition 4th Ed.

"Corn is a nutritionally superior grain compared with others used in pet foods because it contains a balance of nutrients not found in other grains. Corn provides a highly available source of complex carbohydrates and substantial quantities of linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid important for heathy skin. Corn also provides essential amino acids and fiber. In a survey of veterinary dermatologists, corn was not listed among the ingredients most often suspected to cause food allergies. A review of over 200 confirmed canine cases of food allergy in the veterinary literature revealed only three were caused by corn. The same number was reported for rice."

The corn/grain free fed is a pet food company marketing gimmick based on mythology and not science
This is true. Lots of misinformation out there. Only small portion of pets have food allergies, of those corn is one of the least allergenic.
Old 01-09-2013, 7:44 PM

I have 4 dogs. I tried a lot of different types of dog foods, some with grain and some grain free. I even cook for my dogs for a while (vet approved ingredients). My dogs seemed to be healthiest on the cooked food. They did not poop as much as on dried dog food. Vet says that dry dog food has fillers which is why they popped more on it. I just don't have the time to cook for the dogs much now so now they get canidae and kahoots brand grain free kibble. They do fine on them and they are not too expensive. when I get a free day on the weekend, I will cook a batch of food for them and mix it with the kibble for the next week or so.