Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-13-2012, 8:40 AM
Banned

Default Making good use of 200lbs of prepper sugar

Microwave peanut brittle, fast, easy, no stove-top stirring, no hassle and really really good. I call it "crack" brittle because you cant eat just one.

1 cup corn syrup
1 cup raw shelled peanuts
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosier salt
2 tsp vanilla
parchment paper
glass bowl

Couple words of caution!

Don't allow the molten "lava" sugar to come in contact with your skin! The lava is hot as hell and will burn the heck out of you. Also when rinsed under cold water to relieve the searing pain the sugar lava will solidify and when you peel it off your skin comes with it.

Don't use a plastic spoon to stir the mix as the whole spoon will melt into the molten sugar. You will get melted sugar on your hands as you try to throw it away.

OK so bear with me while I type with one hand in bandages. Here's the recipe for the best dang PB you have ever eaten.

Mix corn syrup, salt and sugar in bowl.
Cook in microwave for 3 minutes.
Pour in raw peanuts, give it a stir and cook for 6-7+ minutes or until peanuts are cooked (not burned) and mix is golden-dark brown and smells like brittle and looks like melted caramel.

(Caution!!!) Do not try to taste a peanut as the molten sugar will stick to your lips and teeth burning the hell out of your mouth.

Once the peanuts are browned and cooked pour in butter and vanilla, give it a stir and cook for 1 minute, do not burn.

Pull bowl from microwave and mix in baking soda with a metal spoon rapidly stirring to induce air bubbles into foaming sugar mix. Immediately pour mix onto parchment sheet on top of large cookie sheet and spread with oiled spatula to desired thickness. Allow to cool and crack into small pieces. Place pieces in canning jar and screw on lid to keep it from gathering moisture and becoming chewy.

Last edited by problemchild; 12-15-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 8:47 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Somehow I expected liquor.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Hilarious recipe. Is there anything you didn't burn?

It looks really tasty.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Microwave peanut brittle, fast, easy, no stove-top stirring, no hassle and really really good. I call it "crack" brittle because you cant eat just one.

1 cup corn syrup
1 cup raw shelled peanuts
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosier salt
2 tsp vanilla
parchment paper
glass bowl

Couple words of caution!

Don't allow the molten "lava" sugar to come in contact with your skin! The lava is hot as hell and will burn the heck out of you. Also when rinsed under cold water to relieve the searing pain the sugar lava will solidify and when you peel it off your skin comes with it.

Don't use a plastic spoon to stir the mix as the whole spoon will melt into the molten sugar. You will get melted sugar on your hands as you try to throw it away.

OK so bear with me while I type with one hand in bandages. Here's the recipe for the best dang PB you have ever eaten.

Mix corn syrup, salt and sugar in bowl.
Cook in microwave for 3 minutes.
Pour in raw peanuts, give it a stir and cook for 4-6 minutes or until peanuts are cooked.

(Caution!!!) Do not try to taste a peanut as the molten sugar will stick to your lips and teeth burning the hell out of your mouth.

Once the peanuts are browned and cooked pour in butter and vanilla, give it a stir and cook for 1 minute.

Pull bowl from microwave and mix in baking soda with a metal spoon rapidly stirring to induce air bubbles into foaming sugar mix. Immediately pour mix onto parchment sheet on top of large cookie sheet and spread with oiled spatula to desired thickness. Allow to cool and crack into small pieces. Place pieces in canning jar and screw on lid to keep it from gathering moisture and becoming chewy.
I take it that for the next few days you will not only be typing one handed, but you also won't be talking on the phone either.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Pecans and walnuts work real well also.
Old 12-13-2012, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

I thought this thread was gonna be about building a still.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 12-13-2012, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Seriously, sounded like a cross-over episode between Doomsday Preppers and Moonshiners.

Although with those two building a secret underground bunker for their still and some of the preppers hoarding booze for barter... maybe it's already been done?
Old 12-13-2012, 3:59 PM

Trying this asap....
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 12-13-2012, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

Recipes like this always amaze me. I'd guess you got this from somewhere and didn't make it up, but who the hell figures this out?

How many trial/error sessions does it take to get it right and who has the patience for that crap?

1/2 a cup more of this, 1/2 cup less of that, a teaspoon of that (or not), 3 minutes? 4 minutes? Stir fast? Stir slow? Add this now? Later? In the middle? Seems like the possibilities are endless.

Glad someone figured it out though cause I'm getting the goodies together right now. Love PB.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-13-2012, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I also expected alcohol. There's still time since you have almost 200lbs of sugar left and the SHTF event hasn't happened.