Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-16-2014, 9:09 AM

Default Win in Morris

http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/n...l#.VD_vQjp8PIU

The Rocky Mountain Legal Foundation already won a PI against the Corps of engineers. They just received a MSJ order in their favor. The decision relies heavily on Peruta.

Last edited by wolfwood; 10-16-2014 at 9:14 AM..
Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM

Judge O'Scannlain's tactical approach in delaying the writ of mandamus seems increasingly sound. First this decision relies on Peruta, then that one, then those decisions, all adding to the weight of Peruta and making it more and more difficult to unwind.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM

That happened rather quickly. I remember reading about that not too long ago.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Nice. Some good tidbits from the analysis:

1) "An unloaded firearm is useless for self-defense purposes without its ammunition."

2) A tent is a home in the context of the 2nd amendment.

- inalienable
Old 10-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice. Very nice.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Excellent, lets apply this to CA game refuges
Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Hmm, Judge Winmill is another Clinton appointee.

Here is a quote from the order:

Quote:
Conclusion
The regulation banning the use of handguns on Corps’ property by law-abiding
citizens for self-defense purposes violates the Second Amendment. While the Corps
retains the right to regulate the possession and carrying of handguns on Corps property,
this regulation imposes an outright ban, and is therefore unconstitutional under any level
of scrutiny, as set forth in Heller and Peruta. The Court recognizes that this result
conflicts with GeorgiaCarry.Org, Inc. v. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 2014 WL
4059375 (N.D.Ga. Aug. 18, 2014), but the Court’s decision is dictated by the law of the
Ninth Circuit, namely Peruta.
Will this part
Quote:
The Court recognizes that this result conflicts with GeorgiaCarry.Org, Inc. v. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 2014 WL
4059375 (N.D.Ga. Aug. 18, 2014), but the Court’s decision is dictated by the law of the Ninth Circuit, namely Peruta.
help spur a SCOTUS review of a carry case? Namely two cases involving bearing arms on Army Corps of Engineers land in two different districts arriving at different conclusions?
“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules. The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should reside at the forefronts of our minds.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post
Excellent, lets apply this to CA game refuges
Unfortunately, the judge in this order limits the effects of his ruling to Idaho only.
“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules. The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should reside at the forefronts of our minds.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsend81 View Post
Hmm, Judge Winmill is another Clinton appointee.

Here is a quote from the order:

Will this part
help spur a SCOTUS review of a carry case? Namely two cases involving bearing arms on Army Corps of Engineers land in two different districts arriving at different conclusions?

Will it spur SCOTUS to review or will it spur the 9th to reverse. hes careful to point out that he is governed by the 9th and peruta ....... and he points out the conflict with the georgia ruling.
....."there can be no irreparable harm to a municipality when it is prevented from enforcing an unconstitutional statute,” and the public interest always weighs in favor of protecting constitutional rights. See Joelner v. Wash. Park, 378 F.3d 613, 620 (7th Cir. 2004).
I VOTE and contribute to organizations who share my pursuit of freedom
Old 10-16-2014, 3:24 PM

Eugene Volokh weighs in...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...eers-property/
Old 10-16-2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
Will it spur SCOTUS to review or will it spur the 9th to reverse. hes careful to point out that he is governed by the 9th and peruta ....... and he points out the conflict with the georgia ruling.

If I understand the process correctly, don't see how the Ninth can reverse with Peruta locked up in its current state. Peruta is a published ruling that the rest of the Ninth must follow, unless they overturn it en banc. Right now the case sits there, oddly untouchable. Thanks Kamala.

Of course one of the legal scholars in this forum may have a different take on it.
Old 10-16-2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddestruel View Post
.... Which was based on Nordyke ...... He also states why Nordyke is not relavent in this case, thus, niether is the Georga Carry Ruling.
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 10-16-2014, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
While the ban on carrying firearms for self-defense may impose a burden on this core right of the Second Amendment severe enough to call for strict scrutiny, it is unnecessary for the Court to decide that issue because the regulation fails to pass muster even if intermediate scrutiny is applied.

Reading that from a Clinton appointee gives me some hope.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Thx for posting, wolf wood.
Old 10-17-2014, 1:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I read court opinions that include "The Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm for self-defense purposes. That right extends outside the home" but has SCOTUS specifically written such a decision? Again, much talking about, but "is it official"?
Old 10-17-2014, 5:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I read court opinions that include "The Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm for self-defense purposes. That right extends outside the home" but has SCOTUS specifically written such a decision? Again, much talking about, but "is it official"?
Nope. They're just quoting & following the 9th Circuit's 3-judge panel of Peruta.

That could be overturned by Peruta being taken en banc by the 9th Circuit, and/or Peruta being granted cert. by SCOTUS and them ruling something different.
Old 10-17-2014, 9:06 PM

Default Idaho Court Strikes Corps of Engineers Gun Ban

An Idaho federal court struck down the Army Corps of Engineers ban on loaded guns on its property, as violating the 2nd Amendment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...eers-property/