Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomarFab View Post
I have been looking into Idaho for a while now. I am hoping to make the change in the next year. I have very little debt, and should have it paid off within 6 months. My wife is going to nursing school, and currently works in a pharmacy. Not sure what jobs will be like up there for her. For me, I am a welder, and what I have seen there (at least on job search engines) is that pay is equal to what it is here for welders, and sometimes better. There is not much of a demand here, I see maybe one job a month come up within a 45 minute commute radius. When I look in Idaho, I generally see a dozen or so welding/fabrication jobs, which gives me some confidence.

Welders here, I generally see jobs listed at $12 an hour, sometimes $13. In Idaho, I generally see them between $11-16 an hour, and I have seen some in the Hayden area for up to $24 with enough experience.
If you can match or get a pay raise it's a no brainer...just come check it out and make sure you like the area. It is very different.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I have been looking into Idaho for a while now. I am hoping to make the change in the next year. I have very little debt, and should have it paid off within 6 months. My wife is going to nursing school, and currently works in a pharmacy. Not sure what jobs will be like up there for her. For me, I am a welder, and what I have seen there (at least on job search engines) is that pay is equal to what it is here for welders, and sometimes better. There is not much of a demand here, I see maybe one job a month come up within a 45 minute commute radius. When I look in Idaho, I generally see a dozen or so welding/fabrication jobs, which gives me some confidence.

Welders here, I generally see jobs listed at $12 an hour, sometimes $13. In Idaho, I generally see them between $11-16 an hour, and I have seen some in the Hayden area for up to $24 with enough experience.
It sounds like you guys would be doing great if you decided to move. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
is that area a super fund site? from what you say it sounds like it. not suprised though.

of course a lot of people are moving from here. look at what is happening. sine their vote doesn't mean Sh*t here anymore they are doing it with their wallets and feat. they are outta here. can't say i blame anyone for moving from here this place is a sesspool of crap and statism at it's best.
Yes, there are superfund sites here.
No arguements about people leaving california, hell that is one of the main reasons we left. I just hope the people that do move here do not try to make it resemble what they left. Similar to what happened in denver with the influx of people that moved there from orange county, they turned it into a orange county in colorado.
Old 02-01-2013, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
If you can match or get a pay raise it's a no brainer...just come check it out and make sure you like the area. It is very different.
As long as I can find a job up there I think it will be fine. We are planning to make a trip up there some time this year. Was hoping to go up early January but it did not happen.

If the weather is anything like Truckee/So. Lake Tahoe I think i will like it. We both love the weather in that area, Idaho looks more beautiful though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfinger View Post
It sounds like you guys would be doing great if you decided to move. Let me know if you have any questions.
I hope so, i will let you know if I have any questions. I will likely be coming up with a full fab shop on a trailer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfinger View Post
...No arguements about people leaving california, hell that is one of the main reasons we left. I just hope the people that do move here do not try to make it resemble what they left...
It seems like this has happened in other nearby states, parts of Oregon and Washington from what I have heard. Idaho sounds more resilient to this, so I am hoping. The last thing I want is for CA to follow me. I want out for a reason.
Old 02-01-2013, 2:16 PM

Boise is more mild in winter than Truckee and hotter in summer.

It's the high dez, so not the trees that you'd be used to, though they're not that far away.
Old 02-02-2013, 8:08 AM

I'd rather be colder than hot. I can't stand the the summers above 90 here. I thrive when it's cold out, and everyone else here is complaining.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It seems like this has happened in other nearby states, parts of Oregon and Washington from what I have heard. Idaho sounds more resilient to this, so I am hoping. The last thing I want is for CA to follow me. I want out for a reason.
You'd think the cold would keep the idiots out. I am still doing research, but so far Googling my questions has been fruitful.

BomarFab, I too thrive in the cold. Spent the winter of 08/09 in Alaska without a car and walked pretty much everywhere. The only time I rode in a vehicle was when I was working ("snow removal technician") or a friend picked me up to visit another friend. Hell I walked 11 miles (round trip) to Sportsmans Warehouse in 20 degree weather to correct an error I made on an online job application. There's a story to tell my kids!

If you're dressed right, and you're moving around, you can endure all kinds of cold. And I've seen -25 temps.

Last edited by LeadSlinger585; 02-02-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 3:05 PM

The wife said she wouldn't mind going to look at this one. It's in Coeur D Alene on 10 acres. Cheaper than an Orange County Condo.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/63...13136492_zpid/

This one's a little further up the road in Sandpoint. 33acres. Comes with an old log cabin.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M25773-82118

I DVRd some show called "Buying Alaska" earlier in the week. Real estate show with rural AK properties. Wife and I watched all 10 episodes and now she wants out of the subdivision, and onto something with "nature".
Old 02-02-2013, 3:09 PM

For those wanting Montana and off the grid. This one's between Butte and Bozeman.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-...17313747_zpid/
Old 02-02-2013, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Do you have any certifications? Where are you looking? There is a shortage of certified welders in the pipe trades. Most of the work is in SF or the east bay refineries, but there is some up near you. A union welder in local 38, your area, makes $60 an hour on the check with a benefits package, (pension,full medical for you and dependants, jury duty pay and more) of around another $40 an hour. You will need to go to school and be certified and keep your certs up. There is a school in Santa Rosa that your employer will have to pay for.

Many good welders also get overscale and a truck with a gas card. I have friends who live near you and work at my company who are welders/fitters who have never been out of work in 20 years. You need to look into that.

I also have friends who moved to Idaho in this trade, they don't make jack and hardly work. One tried to come back but he can't even afford to move.

Trust me, if the money was there I would go. Even though I hate the cold, and that is NOTHING like cold we complain about here. If you never had to live or go to work in it you can not understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 02-02-2013, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'd rather be colder than hot. I can't stand the the summers above 90 here. I thrive when it's cold out, and everyone else here is complaining.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/95403

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/83705

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USID0048

Most of Idaho gets hotter than where you are, especially heat waves. Keep in mind that those are average temperatures. A guy on a diesel forum really put in in perspective when he was getting bad advice from some Californians about overheating and his truck not warming up enough to run correctly. He said in a nut shell, this is not Cali, I am dealing with a 150 degree F temp swing from the coldest morning to the hottest day of the year.

The ocean is one of the best temperature regulators and you live near it. Combine that with the latitude longitude, and topography. There is only about 1% of the earths surface that has the mild temperatures and humidity we have here. So making the argument that the weather is better somewhere else is usually a losing argument. Oh yea, the wind SUUUUCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSS in most of the country.

I am not trying to make you stay. Just please be honest with yourself for why you want to move. If the better gun laws are enough, go for it. If there are other reasons are good enough, go for it. Just don't look at the rest through rose colored glasses because the gun laws are good.

I know many people who moved for one reason or another and overlooked others and are still not happy. Some are much worse off, some are doing better.

Quote:
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 02-02-2013, 4:00 PM

I understand about the cold here, it's mild in comparison. I was saying I thrive in the cold I'm used to in Truckee. waking up to 0-5 degrees or so.

I haven't seen any jobs for pipe fitters, where are you looking? I used to be certified for stainless pipe, I let it run out because it wasn't doing me any good 5 years ago. I never got certified for anything else, didn't seem worth it at the time. My uncle is a pipe fitter for PGE and the pay is okay but not nearly $60 an hour. I'm not sure I could handle that kind of commute in my Cummins either, but I'm interested in learning more. I am a good welder, but I am out of practice with stick. I only Mig and Tig right now.
Old 02-02-2013, 4:04 PM

I understand about the cold here, it's mild in comparison. I was saying I thrive in the cold I'm used to in Truckee. waking up to 0-5 degrees or so.

I haven't seen any jobs for pipe fitters, where are you looking? I used to be certified for stainless pipe, I let it run out because it wasn't doing me any good 5 years ago. I never got certified for anything else, didn't seem worth it at the time. My uncle is a pipe fitter for PGE and the pay is okay but not nearly $60 an hour. I'm not sure I could handle that kind of commute in my Cummins either, but I'm interested in learning more. I am a good welder, but I am out of practice with stick. I only Mig and Tig right now.

Gun laws I think are my last concern. I want to buy a house someday, outside of suburbs.
Old 02-02-2013, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Gun laws I think are my last concern. I want to buy a house someday, outside of suburbs.
http://www.ualocal38.org/service%20a...tion/intro.htm

Are you a veteran? I will PM you so we don't hijack the thread even more.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2013, 4:46 PM

I am not a veteran, unfortunately. I sent you you a message. I am still pretty young, and currently have my own business focused on custom cars. But it's been slowing down the last few years. I wouldn't mind going back to building cars as a hobby, but I would like to keep welding full time. It's my favorite part of my job, I find it therapeutic.
Old 02-03-2013, 1:27 AM

I keep hearing Idaho is the place to go. Ive never been there but Ive pretty much heard nothing but good things. Im an Army vet currently working law enforcement. Ive been told Idaho loves hiring cops from Cali. I love the idea of having a good piece of land with wide open spaces.

Id love to plan a trip to check things out but I really have no clue where to start. I'm single with no kids so its easy in that regards, but its about as drastic as a life changing move as any. This was suppose to be a 10year plan but with Cali going to **** I wanna get to planning now.
Old 02-03-2013, 7:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaliente View Post
Id love to plan a trip to check things out but I really have no clue where to start.
Come to Boomershoot this year! There are at least two retired cops I can think of from the Bay Area and Monterey that attend every year. PM me and I'll give you their names, and emails if I can find 'em.

Bear in mind budgets are thin and distances great; I remember one Cali cop's astonishment that an Idaho officer's closest backup during some shifts might be in another county an hour away.

NRA Life Member

Honorary Board Member, the Calguns Foundation
DONATE NOW to support the rights of California gun owners.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.
Read me@RNS
Old 02-03-2013, 9:18 AM

Socaliente, I don't know how close you are to getting a California retirement, but it might be worth it.

If you haven't done so, check out the pay for positions outside CA. Where I live in Utah the average officer only makes $30-40K a year. Chief of Police might make $60-80K. Even the big city chiefs barely make 100K.

I'm usually a big advocate for people to move out of California, but for some it might make financial sense to stay longer. My sister is a teacher in Chino, made 98K last year. Highest paid teacher in our school district didn't make over $60k. My sister would only make around $40K here doing the same job. Of course that's why our taxes are much lower, but you get the point.

If you're still relatively young though, decide how you want to live the rest of your life and what's more important.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM

All this talk about pay, but no one's considering the cost of food, gas, electric, etc. In Alaska I earned $11 an hour shoveling snow but an apple cost $2 each (in 2008). That sucked.

If you can earn $10 but apples are I dunno .75-$1/pound that's tolerable. Lower pay but lower prices as well. City data lists cost of living in CDA to be a score of 91, and US average is 100. Where I'm currently residing is 131.

It's all relative, right?
Old 02-03-2013, 1:43 PM

They grow apples in Idaho. Along with a lot of tree fruit. So I'm sure it won't be $2/apple

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-03-2013, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

You do know that real estate agents hire the locals to let all their domestic meat animals out of their cages when they are showing property, right? LOL
Just kidding. What about snow? I hope everything works out for you guys.
The pics are great.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 02-03-2013, 2:52 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingX View Post
All this talk about pay, but no one's considering the cost of food, gas, electric, etc. In Alaska I earned $11 an hour shoveling snow but an apple cost $2 each (in 2008). That sucked.

If you can earn $10 but apples are I dunno .75-$1/pound that's tolerable. Lower pay but lower prices as well. City data lists cost of living in CDA to be a score of 91, and US average is 100. Where I'm currently residing is 131.

The upside to working for a corporation there is if you can get a transfer, you can usually transfer with your wages intact from state to state. My job has 5 or 6 stores in Idaho and I can move there making the same wage I make in California, and I do fairly well here. I can move there, and live like a king on the same wages and not have my wife work like she has to here.
Old 02-03-2013, 2:55 PM

Heading to twin falls and boise in 2 weeks to look around. Hoping to do my part and keep Idaho from shifting cali demo from all the implants. Do mind snow, but prefer not to dig out everyday so boise seems least likely. I will get some pics while we are there. In medical field so hoping jobs wont be so brutal (fingers crossed) Utah seems to be filing up with cali's but still may be second choice.
Old 02-03-2013, 2:59 PM

great thread, thanks to all for the info

Dillon reloading basics Vids here

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=190727
Old 02-03-2013, 3:11 PM

Boise gets Central Valley hot, when we came last summer it was over 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingX View Post

Boise is 50% the cost of San Jose by the calculators.

Groceries are a little cheaper. Resturants just slightly cheaper. Gas is a little cheaper. Vehicles cost the same. Most hobby stuff costs about the same. Clothing, shoes etc all the same, and you're going to probably need to buy winter gear. Power is cheaper, but you'll probably use more. Insurance (auto, homeowner's) is cheaper (ours went down a lot). Taxes are lower. Houses are A LOT cheaper.

A median house in San Jose is about $550,000-600k. To match size of house and quality of neighborhood in Boise is about $150,000. If you upgrade to a $300,000 house in Boise you will get less than a 50% cut in cost of living because most other stuff is almost the same price. It would also be a more expensive house than is typical...so it'd be more risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
The upside to working for a corporation there is if you can get a transfer, you can usually transfer with your wages intact from state to state. My job has 5 or 6 stores in Idaho and I can move there making the same wage I make in California, and I do fairly well here. I can move there, and live like a king on the same wages and not have my wife work like she has to here.
Most corps actually have HR depts that will cut your pay per cost of living calculators...you are lucky.

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-03-2013 at 3:17 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 5:13 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Quote:
Most corps actually have HR depts that will cut your pay per cost of living calculators...you are lucky.

I've never seen any major corporations do that. Who does that as far as you know?
Old 02-03-2013, 5:32 PM

I've been able to transfer around at the same pay.
Old 02-03-2013, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Boise gets Central Valley hot, when we came last summer it was over 100.

Boise is 50% the cost of San Jose by the calculators.

Groceries are a little cheaper. Resturants just slightly cheaper. Gas is a little cheaper. Vehicles cost the same. Most hobby stuff costs about the same. Clothing, shoes etc all the same, and you're going to probably need to buy winter gear. Power is cheaper, but you'll probably use more. Insurance (auto, homeowner's) is cheaper (ours went down a lot). Taxes are lower. Houses are A LOT cheaper.

A median house in San Jose is about $550,000-600k. To match size of house and quality of neighborhood in Boise is about $150,000. If you upgrade to a $300,000 house in Boise you will get less than a 50% cut in cost of living because most other stuff is almost the same price. It would also be a more expensive house than is typical...so it'd be more risky.

Thanks for being honest. I would love to move and I have seen many people do it but the ones who were not honest about every detail or did not research enough were often not happy. May bee they would have stayed, or may bee they would have chosen somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong. Idaho is butiful and much of it would be a wonderful place. I have met some really rich people with part time homes there and I would love to have a place there. It is just not for me at this time for some reasons and your honest posts help me make a good decision.

Something may change and I may be up there soon though.

Quote:
I've never seen any major corporations do that. Who does that as far as you know?
Mine does. I would make about 40% in hourly wages and even less when the hours are factored in.

A couple guys I know made the move and took the cut. One said it was still the best thing he ever did and he would never come back.

Another I heard is in trouble in his marriage because the problems just got worse. They had financial problems and tried to run from them.

Like I said above. If your leaving for more freedom or good gun laws, it may be the best thing you ever do. But leaving for other reasons and the problems could get even worse.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2013, 8:36 PM

A few in this thread have touched on what could be a fairly significant cost-equalizer - heating the home and maybe a shop. I live in SoCal and a buddy lives in Wrightwood, a small local ski area at around 6000 ft. He works in the desert which is right out his front window, but while it's 100 deg+ at the base of the hill it's maybe 70 deg where he is. Trouble is in the winter it's the other way round and he said it costs them $300-400 a month just in heating.

Some have said you can get a bigger house in ID - which then has to be heated, which could be a killer. Yeah, wood cut in your lot could be burned but still. As others have said, it's but one of the components toward figuring out the real cost of living.

I appreciate this thread as it's fairly objective and balanced instead of a one-sided sales pitch of "OMG, it's awesome here in ID!"

Last edited by kb58; 02-03-2013 at 8:42 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRShooter View Post
Socaliente, I don't know how close you are to getting a California retirement, but it might be worth it.

If you haven't done so, check out the pay for positions outside CA. Where I live in Utah the average officer only makes $30-40K a year. Chief of Police might make $60-80K. Even the big city chiefs barely make 100K.

I'm usually a big advocate for people to move out of California, but for some it might make financial sense to stay longer. My sister is a teacher in Chino, made 98K last year. Highest paid teacher in our school district didn't make over $60k. My sister would only make around $40K here doing the same job. Of course that's why our taxes are much lower, but you get the point.

If you're still relatively young though, decide how you want to live the rest of your life and what's more important.
I'm only 2 years in, so i see what youre saying about sticking it out. I was offered a sheriffs job in a county outside of boise but id go from 28/hr to 19/hr. Plus I just bought a house a year ago. And Id have to wait a bit to even break even on the house.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM

Car registrations are much cheaper - depending on year of the vehicle they are somewhere between $30-40 AFAIK.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Many do, my wife's certainly did. Do NOT start planning thinking this won't happen unless you have written documentation. And even then, it's not guaranteed.

When we bought our house, the loan underwriter required us to get letters from our employers stating they knew we were moving and what our pay rate would be after the move to Idaho. Pay change from a move is a common thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
Car registrations are much cheaper - depending on year of the vehicle they are somewhere between $30-40 AFAIK.
I'd have to go pull out the paperwork, but that's in the ballpark. My favorite part about Idaho DMV is no lines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
A few in this thread have touched on what could be a fairly significant cost-equalizer - heating the home and maybe a shop. I live in SoCal and a buddy lives in Wrightwood, a small local ski area at around 6000 ft. He works in the desert which is right out his front window, but while it's 100 deg+ at the base of the hill it's maybe 70 deg where he is. Trouble is in the winter it's the other way round and he said it costs them $300-400 a month just in heating.
We've never had a power/gas bill over $150. Last month it was $500! Now, we have a well, so no water bill, and my wife had a bad cold so we kept the house at 68. But that's terrible. We are all electric, and Idaho had one of the coldest December/Januarys anyone can remember.

I didn't have to tell the wife to turn it down at that point, she did it herself. Even in CA we normally let the house swing from 62-82, so it shouldn't be nearly as bad in the future.

In the future I'll be researching either going propane or solar...

We had a nice fire all weekend, but that won't be our primary heat source unless it's a grid down situation or something. I don't like the smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
Thanks for being honest. I would love to move and I have seen many people do it but the ones who were not honest about every detail or did not research enough were often not happy. May bee they would have stayed, or may bee they would have chosen somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong. Idaho is butiful and much of it would be a wonderful place. I have met some really rich people with part time homes there and I would love to have a place there. It is just not for me at this time for some reasons and your honest posts help me make a good decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
Some have said you can get a bigger house in ID - which then has to be heated, which could be a killer. Yeah, wood cut in your lot could be burned but still. As others have said, it's but one of the components toward figuring out the real cost of living.

I appreciate this thread as it's fairly objective and balanced instead of a one-sided sales pitch of "OMG, it's awesome here in ID!"
My wife and I wanted a bigger house, with enough property to shoot and do what we wanted (since this is the survival forum, we do plan to have chickens, plant an orchard, big garden etc), but still fairly close to the urban areas, so she had a commute of 30mins or less. In the SF Bay Area, it was practically an impossibility.

There are no perfect places. There are real risks here, particularly on the career side. Most Californians are so desensitized to house prices, they buy too much thinking it's so cheap. Most people leave California for, in order, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Utah. All of those have costs of living that are fairly close to Idaho, with better job opportunities for many. I'd hate to see someone come here that didn't realize these things.

We didn't move here wealthy, and we're in our 30's. We came here knowing what the sacrifices were, and so far happy with the choice.

Other cost differences, private school and childcare is much cheaper here.

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-04-2013 at 7:11 AM..
Old 02-04-2013, 7:36 AM

Quote:
I work for a major aerospace corp., and we maintain 3 different salary tables depending on where you live (normal, high cost, and very high cost). SoCal is in the very high cost category. If I were to relocate to a lower cost of living area taking a job at the same salary band I would see a pay reduction. I suspect this is fairly common at large companies.

We have no facilities in ID, so our relocation is planned when I retire in about 4 years.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Seen some comments (another forum) that Boise has a sizable liberal population. My concerns are that it will turn into another Cali. Anyone know if these are common sense liberals or more of the Antigun,
More taxes, more open boarders, type.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Here's what the 2012 Presidential election map looked like-

http://www.politico.com/2012-electio...sident/2012/ID

Not much different from the 2004 or 2008.

There's no "right" answer to a question like yours. Idaho has the lowest per capita government assistance spending, it runs a fiscally conservative budget, it has absolutely excellent firearms laws. It went right to work somewhat recently. Bureaucratic hassles are very minimal for a Californian, but they are increasing if you talk to old timer Idahoans.

But yes, sure, there are liberals in Boise. It's a fairly small college town for starters.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Nice may be some day
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Thanks for the info.
I would sum it up thus...if Idaho goes "liberal", the whole country has.
Old 02-06-2013, 6:07 AM

We've been looking at relocating to northern ID - Bonner or Boundary county.

I think one of the important measures of freedom is the degree to which governments interfere with the property rights of landowners. This may be a bit arcane, but I was interested to read the Comprehensive Plan for Boundary County ID. Coming from a very small city in SoCal where the planning commission and city council don't think twice about implementing very intrusive regulations affecting what property owners can and can not do on their own property, the strong focus on property rights and individual responsibility that comes through in the Boundary County plan was quite refreshing.

The county's advice on Purchasing Real Estate in Boundary County is also an interesting read.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 02-06-2013, 5:59 PM

Well I'm in Idaho now. Got here at 10 this morning to Boise. Spent the first 2 hours getting all checked in (idiots at San Fran airport put our luggage on a different flight). Then went for an interview and met some people. Came back and went down town for dinner and to look around. Went to a restaurant called The Piper Pub and Grill. Really good food and their happy hour is 2 for 1! We get all day tomorrow to look around. Probably going to talk to so real estate agents.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2