Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-07-2007, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Firearm carry on military base

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...o=60845#p60845

Court rules open carry on military bases not unlawful.

Is anybody an expert on the statutes and regulations applicable to carry on military bases?

--

http://www.nradefensefund.org/litigation.aspx#Virginia

Jeffrey Raynor (Virginia) was charged with carrying a concealed pistol and possessing a firearm on a military installation. Neither charge was supported by the statutory language. The government’s evidence was that the grip, hammer, and the back part of the slide were visible and that it was immediately recognizable as a pistol. The evidence also showed that he was traveling in a motor vehicle on a road and was not in “a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government....” He was found not guilty of both charges according to defense counsel’s letter of April 17, 2006.
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 08-07-2007, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I won't call myself an expert, but I'm retired Army. On a military base, the post or base commander is king. He or she may allow it, but I never saw it.

Some bases are "open" posts, that is, there is no gate you must go through to get on the base. Highways often go through bases and are sometimes regarded in the same way an Interstate going through an indian reservation is. If you stay on the highway, civilian law applies.
Old 08-07-2007, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I should add that some posts do allow civilian hunting with permission, but aside from that, the only people I ever saw carrying was law enforcement.

I believe the statues are in title 50 of the USC.
Old 08-07-2007, 3:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Any kind of carry is a no-no on a Federal installation. Every post Ive been to has a large sign out front stating it, just like the post office or any gov building. Unloaded and cased with a reason for having it.
The post commander at one post I was stationed at had his own rules for those stationed or living on post, if you carry (open carry in a vehicle legal without a permit in that state) you must unload weapon and place it on the dash or in plain view before rolling through the gate. That man was great, real gun-nut, he received a BRAND NEW, unissued, still wrapped, original cosmoline, M1 carbine for his retirement. He proceeded to take it to the range straight away!
Old 08-07-2007, 6:21 PM

i would just avoid it all together.
Old 08-07-2007, 6:28 PM

Default Military

That is correct, military bases are Federal Installations, you can be arrested by the MP's. For shooting on base, Camp Pendleton, you must declare your weapon at the front gate in the ID office.
Old 08-07-2007, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEUSMC2005 View Post
That is correct, military bases are Federal Installations, you can be arrested by the MP's...

Heh, heh.
Yeah, I've heard stories about Marine MP's .
No thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 8:27 PM

Bad idea! Very bad.
Old 08-07-2007, 9:07 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes, it depends on the base management. NAS Jacksonville was a big No-No. But Mayport Naval base literally next to it was OK if you apply for permission from the base commander to shoot at the base indoor pistol range. You just have to declare your handguns & show them the permission letter at the gate office & they'll issue you a pass for your car. The letter is person specific & not transferable.