Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-09-2012, 1:18 PM

Default (The Results) I'm ready to step into the tactical precision rifle world

It's time for me to finish off the apocalypse collection* with a tactical precision rifle.

I've decided to start this tactical precision rifle project with a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD (.308 20" threaded barrel).

Since this is my first step into longer distance shooting I'm not looking for a thousand yard weapon system. I'd like to build up to about 500 yards.

I'd like some advice and opinions on what scope, muzzle break/comp and bipod to attach. Let's say my requirements for the scope are
Rugged
500 yards
Low Light
Wolf size targets
Budget around $400 for the scope, $50-100 for rings.
Muzzle break/comp
admittedly I don't know enough about muzzle breaks/comps to make an educated decision here other than I know I want no bottom ports on the break/comp.
$100-200
Bipod
Rugged
Lightweight
Rust resistant (I've heard Harris are rust prone and I'm in the East Bay and take frequent trips north into the snow.)
$100
I plan to put this into a new chassis eventually. Probably a McMillan A5 or similar as I want this to be mag fed, but this is a ways off.

*The apocalypse collection is my attempt at putting together a collection of firearms that can fulfill the various roles of a weapon in a post apocalyptic world, namely hunting and defense. These weapons and their accessories must be rugged enough to deal with harsh environments and treatment. Also, these weapons and their respective ammunition should be common enough that scavenging parts and ammo will be easier.

Last edited by cHaOs ReX; 01-20-2013 at 4:01 PM.. Reason: Update Title
Old 12-09-2012, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

Your gun choice is solid. But, skip $100-$200 on a brake and use that coin on a better scope. The .308 is no recoil monster and unless you are shooting comps where rapid follow-up shots are needed, its money poorly spent. 500-600 will easily get you a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 (non PST). Good glass, solid and repeatable adjustments. Drop it in a set of Seekins lows on a Seekins 20 moa base and call it good.

Bipod is easy; Harris BRM-S with a PodLok. I shoot mine in all weather and have no issue with rust.
Old 12-09-2012, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Your gun choice is solid. But, skip $100-$200 on a brake and use that coin on a better scope. The .308 is no recoil monster and unless you are shooting comps where rapid follow-up shots are needed, its money poorly spent. 500-600 will easily get you a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 (non PST). Good glass, solid and repeatable adjustments. Drop it in a set of Seekins lows on a Seekins 20 moa base and call it good.

Bipod is easy; Harris BRM-S with a PodLok. I shoot mine in all weather and have no issue with rust.
Solid advice ^

I have 5 harris bipods that have been shot in every type of condition i can think of. Don't recall seeing rust on any of them.

Also a McMillan isnt needed to be mag fed. Pretty much any stock can be inletted to accept a DBM bottom metal. I recommend the A5 though. I have 4 myself!!

Visit our forum at- http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/index.php

Become a SoCal Precision Rifle Team fan on Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalPrecisionRifleTeam
Old 12-09-2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:

Don't need $500-600 to buy a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. And even then, he's talking about "up to" 500 yards. 20x is overkill for that.

I'd recommend a SWFA 10x42 or Bushnell Elite 3200 10 power fixed or a 3-9x. Both are pretty cheap. I like some scopes in the $250-400 range, but all the 5,6,700 dollar scope make me think you should just get some of the mainstay names.

As for the Harris bipods, the knurled tightening knob on mine is starting to rust. The rest is fine.

I'd spend a lot of money on ammo/practice or reloading supplies before I bought a expensive brake and stock, though.

Last edited by CobraRed; 12-09-2012 at 2:34 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRed View Post
Don't need $500-600 to buy a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. And even then, he's talking about "up to" 500 yards. 20x is overkill for that.

I'd recommend a SWFA 10x42 or Bushnell Elite 3200 10 power fixed or a 3-9x. Both are pretty cheap.
More magnification is never a bad thing on a precision rifle. Unless you're using it for hunting where 3x on the low end would be more beneficial then the 20x on a higher power scope.. 6.5 is just fine on the bottom end.

Even though you can shoot to 1000yards with a 10x scope, having 20x makes it really nice for spotting holes in paper or hits on steel at any distance.

Fixed 10x scopes can be effective but the lack of adjustable magnification really limits what you can do with a scope.

I use a 3-9 Leupold VX-R patrol on my hunting AR. 3x works nice on the low end for stalking yet i can dial it up to 9x and shoot paper but its very difficult to spot holes most of the time.

Become a SoCal Precision Rifle Team fan on Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalPrecisionRifleTeam
Old 12-09-2012, 7:11 PM
Banned

I've learned, there is no such thing as "too much magnification".

Sure, depending on weather conditions, mirage will become an issue at really high power.

So what? let that mirage dictate your max magnification. Limiting yourself to low power is a horrible choice for 'precision rifle'.

Trust me- I *KNOW*. I shoot a 4.5-14 right now. It sucks! I need more power. Even 16 or 18 on the top end makes a huge difference over 14.

I'd have a hard time telling someone to go 6x on the low end though. I'd prefer lower power on the low end for unsupported shooting.

Thats whats so fantastic about the bushnell 3.5-21.... Its a perfect range.. But it's more than op wants to spend.

I would never suggest a fixed 10x either. It's too low for long shots, and too high for unsupported. So... what is it good for exactly????

Op wants to go cheap on glass for now... I say nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 side focus. Same thing I run until I can afford the bushnell. For $300 ish- thats really hard to beat.
Old 12-09-2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post

I would never suggest a fixed 10x either. It's too low for long shots, and too high for unsupported. So... what is it good for exactly????
500 yards

I didn't know we're talking about no spotting/spotter. If you need to see where you hit, then get as high as you can afford. But if a 10x vs a 20x at 500 yards is effecting your groups it's not a glass problem IMO.
Old 12-09-2012, 7:16 PM

So the Vortex Viper (and other scopes) offer multiple reticles. The optics I'm familiar with at the moment is what's on my AR, Aimpoint Comp M4 and a 3x multiplier.

Since I'm basically starting from scratch here what reticle should I get. Just looking at some of the options the BDC seems pretty easy and logical but I know there is a lot of talk about Mil Dot which looks fairly complicated.
Old 12-09-2012, 7:26 PM

Yes this would be unsupported shooting.
Old 12-09-2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHaOs ReX View Post
So the Vortex Viper (and other scopes) offer multiple reticles. The optics I'm familiar with at the moment is what's on my AR, Aimpoint Comp M4 and a 3x multiplier.

Since I'm basically starting from scratch here what reticle should I get. Just looking at some of the options the BDC seems pretty easy and logical but I know there is a lot of talk about Mil Dot which looks fairly complicated.
You definitely want a MIL reticle or an MOA reticle. Its really not confusing once you catch on. It's always easier when your turrets match your reticle.
Most lower budget scope don't have matching knobs. They're MOA knobs and MIL reticle which is fine too.

Old 12-09-2012, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Yes this would be unsupported shooting.
6x is the highest i'd go on the low end. 20x makes a wold of difference on the top end though.

I usually shoot all my unsupported shots between 6x and 12x depending on the size of the targets and how stable the position is.

I also dial back to lower magnifications for fast shooting (wider field of view to help find multiple targets)

Old 12-09-2012, 7:34 PM

I have a swfa SS on a TC venture in 308, does well for me at 500. I have a tripod, but found much more stable on a soft saddle mounted on a pack, so you can save tripod money.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 12-09-2012, 7:48 PM
Banned

Regarding reticle...

As Dirtracer mentioned, matching reticle to knob is ideal. Mil reticle and 1/10 mil adjustment, or moa reticle and moa knobs.

Unfortunately, most scopes that do this are higher priced.

Something based on the mildot, but more modern.. with hash marks at the 1/2 mil point is far more usefull than a standard mil dot. It's not complicated when you understand what you're looking at. Once you do... a mil dot only scope leaves you wishing you had more reference points.

----edit----
A bdc only works if you shoot ammo at the exact same velocity and BC the scope was designed for. Not likely.....

I'll take a straight mil dot reticule over a bdc any day.

Last edited by postal; 12-09-2012 at 7:54 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

A milling reticle is handy but not necessary. A mildot scope looks complicated but really its just a crosshair with dots. Its not as difficult to use as one may think, especially when paired with a Mildot Master. I have done straight 10x all the way to 1k. Sure it works but, why limit yourself to a fixed power? A variable is far more versatile.
Old 12-09-2012, 7:55 PM

Rob and Dirtracer pretty much answered everything you need to know. I definitely would skip out on the muzzle BRAKE and spend the extra money on a better scope or ammunition.
Remember, a gun is only as good as its shooter. Having a nice gun won't do you any good if your gun is capable of out-shooting your abilities..
So PRACTICE and good luck!

PS - CobraRed, had you of read his whole post and the reasoning behind him buying a precision rifle, you would have known that he never mentioned anything about a spotter .

As far as mil/moa reticles and knobs go, like you've already seen, everyone has their own opinion. Both mil and moa are easy once you get them figured out. My personal advice is to find a scope within your budget that is reliable, has good reviews across the board (one thing to worry about with low budget, variable scopes is blurriness in higher magnifications), and has matching reticle/knobs.

Last edited by Z33 Josh; 12-09-2012 at 8:00 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 7:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
A milling reticle is handy but not necessary.

I disagree.

Especially a more modern mildot with 1/2 mil marks.

Then you have your choice of dialing for elevation/wind, or very easy and accurate holdovers using the references in the mil scale. That is FAR FAR more important and highly used, than actually 'ranging distance'- (though you can)

The comps I go to, there's always at least one stage you need to hold over. (switching near and far targets under time. no time to dial the scope back and forth) This is **EASY** with good charts, and a mil type reticle ( a mil dot master for conversion if using a mil/moa scope is a must to figure out the hold too)
Old 12-09-2012, 8:06 PM

Based on everyone's feedback (Thank you very much by the way) I'm looking at the following

Vortex Viper
4-16 or 6.5-20
Mil Dot

I'll skip the break for now.

As far as ammo, I've already taken baby steps into the reloading world. I actually have several Lee Classic loaders for the weapons I currently own less the .22 and my shotguns. Though so far the most I've done is collect a crap load of brass and de-capped and cleaned a couple hundred 5.56 cases. Haven't gotten to a gun show yet to get powered and primers. I plan on purchasing a Lee Anni press kit very soon.
Old 12-09-2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Based on everyone's feedback (Thank you very much by the way) I'm looking at the following

Vortex Viper
4-16 or 6.5-20
Mil Dot

I'll skip the break for now.

As far as ammo, I've already taken baby steps into the reloading world. I actually have several Lee Classic loaders for the weapons I currently own less the .22 and my shotguns. Though so far the most I've done is collect a crap load of brass and de-capped and cleaned a couple hundred 5.56 cases. Haven't gotten to a gun show yet to get powered and primers. I plan on purchasing a Lee Anni press kit very soon.
You'll be happy with either of those choices. I've use the Viper 6.5-20 on top of an AR and liked the glass overall.

BTW, people here will give you a hard time if you refer to a brake as a break. Just remember it slows down your recoil, therefore braking like a car.

Last edited by CobraRed; 12-09-2012 at 8:22 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 8:23 PM
Banned

Reloading is the only way to go. You can make ammo more accurate than anything you can buy. It also costs maybe 75 cents per round or less compared to $1.20 per round or more for factory match ammo.

If you can swing $1,100 for a scope, I really really highly recommend the bushnell tactical elite 3.5-21 g2 dmr... It is a really high quality scope with outstanding features you normally pay well over 2x's as much from any other brand.

If you're not able to go that high, the vortex is good.

If you need something on a budget... the nikon 4.5-14 buckmaster is 'livable'... I've made due for a few years, but early next year, I'm getting the bushy DAMMITT!!!!

Badger thruster brake is not very expensive, and a good brake. You should be able to find it in the threads that match your rifle. They're like $70 ish. Recoil on a 308 is not bad. My GF LOVES my 308... with no brake.... but the brake not only softens the recoil, it keeps you on target. Went to the range today, and she shot my brothers 308 with a badger FTE brake... and she keeps telling me how much she likes *that* rifle... "the rifle doesnt move!"

FTE is about double the price of the thruster. The thruster is still good though. And worth it. You will need a crush washer to 'time it' or have a gunsmith time it for you which might be about $50?

You dont 'need' a brake... but they're nice to have.

Last edited by postal; 12-09-2012 at 8:26 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRed View Post

BTW, people here will give you a hard time if you refer to a brake as a break. Just remember it slows down your recoil, therefore braking like a car.
I did say
Quote:
admittedly I don't know enough about muzzle breaks/comps
But thank you for correcting me.

Now I know and knowing is half the battle!
Old 12-09-2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:

If you can swing $1,100 for a scope, I really really highly recommend the bushnell tactical elite 3.5-21 g2 dmr... It is a really high quality scope with outstanding features you normally pay well over 2x's as much from any other brand.
Yeah $1,100 is way beyond my glass budget right now but I'll keep my eye out for one while I'm scavenging in the post apocalyptic world.

I'll keep my eye open for that brake as well.

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2012, 9:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm getting the bushy DAMMITT!!!!
Famous last words...

Quote:
The thruster is still good though. And worth it. You will need a crush washer to 'time it' or have a gunsmith time it for you which might be about $50?
I get $10 to time a brake if it's just a matter of facing the brake and it's easy to hold in the lathe.
Thrusters need to be profiled to blend to the barrel to look good.

I would get a Ross Schuler brake that's already tapered on the back to blend to the barrel.
Then I would index it in the lathe so there's no ugly washers or shims.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC

Last edited by ar15barrels; 12-09-2012 at 9:03 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 9:06 PM
Banned

HAHAA!!!!

I'm poor..... It'll take a few months.... but I'll get the bushy!

After that, is a rebarrel and thruster you're going to install.

I'll trade you a guitar for the bushy... just not the double neck!

Last edited by postal; 12-09-2012 at 9:42 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Forget the damn brake! I wouldn't get one if it was free. It directs noise and blast back at you. You don't need that.

Also, people seem to be ignoring the OP. He wants a zombie gun. Match ammo? Forget it. He wants something that expands. Mil dots vs non? Forget it, get a cheap laser rangefinder. He doesn't have to follow any rules and doesn't have to worry about enemy detecting the laser.
Old 12-09-2012, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Forget the damn brake! I wouldn't get one if it was free. It directs noise and blast back at you. You don't need that.

Also, people seem to be ignoring the OP. He wants a zombie gun. Match ammo? Forget it. He wants something that expands. Mil dots vs non? Forget it, get a cheap laser rangefinder. He doesn't have to follow any rules and doesn't have to worry about enemy detecting the laser.
I never said anything about zombies. I'm thinking hostile militias, gangs or maybe mutants in case of post nuclear war.

So enemies detecting a laser would be a concern.

I think my 10/22 would be great for the traditional zombie anyway. A .22 LR rattling around in a zombie's brain pan should do the trick much more economically than a .308.
Old 12-09-2012, 9:44 PM
Banned

A 308 doesnt 'need one'....

But they give you far faster followup shot since you're still on target. And when people advance in marksmanship, they can actually spot their impacts at a much closer range using a brake.

For a 'zombie gun' it isnt necessary. For a serious precision rifle competitor it is.
Old 12-09-2012, 9:47 PM
Banned

Apocalypse.... zombies.... whats the difference?

Your sig clearly states 'apocalypse'.

Most of us giving you advice actually shoot Precision Rifle comps for fun and to learn. To improve.

It doesnt matter how fancy your rifle is if you dont know how to use it efficiently, correctly, precisely. If you want a rifle for this role, you get whatever the best is you can afford.

Then you need to learn how to shoot it. Just braggin you have one in your safe doesnt mean much.

"I have a les baer custom with a 1.5 guarantee"... but shoot "minute of berm" would be an example. Not an insult mind you. An example of what I'm talking about. It doesnt matter whats in the safe. How well can a person use the tools in the toolbox? this takes a lot of practice, and dedication.

Last edited by postal; 12-09-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

If you can swing around $750.00 for optics, the Bushnell 3-12X44 FFP would be a good option. It's available with many of the same reticles found in the more expensive 3.5-21X50 HDMR scopes, including the excellent G2DMR mil based reticle. The 12X magnification would be more than adequate for your 500 yard intended range. Way more than adequate. Contrary to popular belief, there is such a thing as too much magnification. 20X at 500 yards on a tactical rifle is too much magnification, IMHO. I've easily shot torso sized steel plates at that range, and out to 650 yards using a 4X Leatherwood CMR.... For a tactical rifle, I'd go with less magnification and a wider field of view, especially if you are going to be acting as your own spotter. Keeping a target within the scopes field of view at 20X is obviously going to be twice as difficult as keeping it in view at 10X. A good rule of thumb to follow for magnification, especially when shooting in a dynamic environment where targets may be moving, you may be moving, or you have to transition rapidly between multiple targets, is to increase magnification 1X per every 100 yards of distance to the target.
Old 12-10-2012, 4:27 PM

Apocalypse...? A rifle will not help you.
Old 12-10-2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang949 View Post
Apocalypse...? A rifle will not help you.
Thanks wang for a very helpful post.
Old 12-10-2012, 5:20 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Heck, get a Tikka T3 .308 Varmint, throw a Harris bipod on it, and put a Nikon .308 BDC reticle on it and get used to the reticle. It'll get you out where you need, you can slap a brake on it or even run the tactical version of the gun with the built in brake anyway, and shoot at whatever you want with it.

Old 12-10-2012, 7:53 PM

If you are looking at 500 to 600yards, no need for a 308win bolt rig.

My woman was dropping rams @ 550yards with my 24" AR

77gn SMKs loaded to mag length will make the 600yard trip fine.

However, if you want to get setup listen to the guys like James that actually apply the skillset.

Please visit us @ www.ncpprc.com for more info.
Old 12-10-2012, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Heck, get a Tikka T3 .308 Varmint,
I was actually looking at the Tikka T3 tactical, however it does not fit with the Apocalpse Collection ideal. The Tikka is relatively rare in these parts and it does not have the modability that the 700 has.
Old 12-10-2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu 308 View Post
If you are looking at 500 to 600yards, no need for a 308win bolt rig.

However, if you want to get setup listen to the guys like James that actually apply the skillset.
I want to set up for 500 yards and work my way out from there. I figure it's much better to set a reasonable goal and achieve that before jumping into the deep end. And the 700 is a platform I can build on.

I certianly am listening to the people who come on here and offer me info. That is the main reason I come to Calguns. There are some great people here with a wealth of information.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I want to set up for 500 yards and work my way out from there. I figure it's much better to set a reasonable goal and achieve that before jumping into the deep end. And the 700 is a platform I can build on.

I certianly am listening to the people who come on here and offer me info. That is the main reason I come to Calguns. There are some great people here with a wealth of information.
You're in the bay area?

You're pretty close to Sac Valley then. Get your rifle ready and load up some rounds or buy some FGMM 175gr ammo and go to one of NCPPRCs practice days. Get your rifle zeroed up at 100yards before it starts. Someone can help you out. You start at 200 and move out to 1k. You'll be hitting 1k by the end of the day and laughing at your 500 yard goal.

I set my 243 up a few months ago for my girl. Dialed the drop into my scope and got everything ready for her. We were shooting across a canyon with barely any mirage visible so it was hard for me to give her a wind call through the spotting scope. I gave it a guess and she missed by just a few inches off the left edge of a 1000 yard target on her cold bore shot. We corrected her hold for the wind and she followed it up with a 2nd round hit @ 1015 yards. Of course i had to hear for days about how easy it is and blah blah blah if she can do it on the 2nd try then anyone can. She obviously thinks that scope adjusts itself

It's easy to pull the trigger if you've got the basics down. 100 yards or 1000 yards it's all the same on the follow through. Once you have someone help you with your come ups and you learn a little about wind you can make all the hits you want at any distance.

NCPPRC has a forum you can ask tons of questions in too.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 PM

I thought threaded barrel was a no go in California
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
I thought threaded barrel was a no go in California
Legal on bolt guns

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
Legal on bolt guns
Oh, thanks:thumbup:
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
Legal on bolt guns
Legal on semi auto too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
Legal on semi auto too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Really? So pistols are the only ones that are a negative to have then? OP sorry to thread jack